Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Changes in the last two weeks

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,

On my way to work this morning I came to a realization.

Just in the last 2 weeks, practicing anapanasati (almost daily :P) and reflecting on every feeling I have, I noticed a change that I have not felt in a VERY long time.

Now, I think it's different for every person on how long certain changes take to take effect, but as an example from my life, prior to stumbling across buddhism I would wake up in the morning dreading going to work (I am presently at a pretty crappy job, but I am going back to my old job in another week at the school district). Now, when I woke up this morning I realized that I felt an excitment that I could not wait for the day to begin. Even though I knew I would have to cope with certain things at work, I was still excited all the same.

I was excited for the fact of what I would experience today. Like I said before that I have not had a feeling like this in over four years.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, but I associate the feeling with a snowball rolling down a mountain, at first it starts slow and gradually, the snowball grows and begins to accrue speed and weight. Maybe this is a bad analogy, but this is how I feel. My snowball is starting to pick up speed and I can't wait to experience whats coming next, whether negative or positive, because I know it will only re-enforce my beliefs and allow me to reflect on different situations and experience new things from a different viewpoint.

In this instance, the grass is much greener on the other side :)

Thanks for listening to my blabbing, I had to share this :)

sean

Comments

• edited April 2006
    dkode wrote:
    Hello,

On my way to work this morning I came to a realization.

Just in the last 2 weeks, practicing anapanasati (almost daily :P) and reflecting on every feeling I have, I noticed a change that I have not felt in a VERY long time.

Now, I think it's different for every person on how long certain changes take to take effect, but as an example from my life, prior to stumbling across buddhism I would wake up in the morning dreading going to work (I am presently at a pretty crappy job, but I am going back to my old job in another week at the school district). Now, when I woke up this morning I realized that I felt an excitment that I could not wait for the day to begin. Even though I knew I would have to cope with certain things at work, I was still excited all the same.

I was excited for the fact of what I would experience today. Like I said before that I have not had a feeling like this in over four years.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, but I associate the feeling with a snowball rolling down a mountain, at first it starts slow and gradually, the snowball grows and begins to accrue speed and weight. Maybe this is a bad analogy, but this is how I feel. My snowball is starting to pick up speed and I can't wait to experience whats coming next, whether negative or positive, because I know it will only re-enforce my beliefs and allow me to reflect on different situations and experience new things from a different viewpoint.

In this instance, the grass is much greener on the other side :)

Thanks for listening to my blabbing, I had to share this :)

sean

This is exactly how I've been feeling for the past few months since stumbling onto this wonderful path. Thanks for sharing.
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Glad you two are feeling 'effects'.

However: this, too, shall pass. And when it does, keep up practice!

By that time, perhaps you'll have realized--no matter what you do, you're practicing...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Well put QuestZENer....
    The "mistake" is to become attached to the feeling of well-being and the triumph of progress... this too, is infact a hindrance, even though it is commendable...

For my part, just when I used to think I was really breezin', my friend Life, with the warped sense of humour it has, would gaily fling the banana skin at my feet... I'd catch it, every time!

Moral:
    Avoid banana skins.... ;)
  • edited April 2006
    very good advice federica :) i'll watch out for the bananas...mmmmmm bananas :)

So even though these are great feelings, in buddhism we should not get attached to them, even if they are positive?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Exactly. But this doesn't mean that you shouldn't enjoy them. Let yourself feel the pleasure of them and be ready to let them go when they do and welcome them back when they come back. Don't get hung up on them, dude. LOL!! Everything is impermanent. Everything. That's a big part of the beauty of it all.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    :whatever:

regards,
    Xray.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    What? :wtf:

Somebody's in a bad mood today...:hrm:
    Are you disagreeing or what?

Or are you being funny? :p

Brigid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Brigid, remember, he spends his entire time upside-down... that's got to be hard....:grin:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    LOL!!!
  • edited April 2006
    We try our best to be mindful of the certain and ongoing flux of all things. That is why this moment is such a precious jewel. By the time we have stopped to look at the moment and take note, it has already began to fade and change into something different. Non-attachment to a "thing" does not mean we can not enjoy it while as it passes by.
    Mike
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    :D I was trying to point out (sarcastically) that life is not always unicorns trumpets, cherubs and little fluffy clouds...

yes i was trying to be funny pretending to be agitated etc.:banghead:

forget it.:crazy:

that's it, I'm taking my bat and ball and going home:bawling:
    edited April 2006
    You're just going home 'cos' your ma says it's tea-time.... same time tomorrow!! :D
  • edited April 2006
    www.taooftea.com

-great tea site!
    Mike