Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vices.. Becoming a better Buddhist...

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Everyday, being human, we deal with our vices. Myself, I smoke cigarettes. Yes I know how bad they are and what they will do to me, but I can't seem to quit. Sometimes I feel ready and give it a shot but it does not last long. For some reason I enjoy smoking. But I don't want to. I've tried various ways to quit, but nothing has worked. This is a big vice for me. Anger and frustration are somewhat of an issue to. Normally I am a pretty laid back person, but get irritated with what I call "dumb" speak. This is when people ask ridiculous questions, the one's they know the answers to. Or the prodding questions that noone needs to know answers to, like when on the phone and I hang up people ask who it was. Like they need to know or something...

Now I know I can't get rid of all the vices and issues I have right away, this is nearly impossible because there are more than the two mentioned. I have practiced/ been practicing mindfulness and am getting better with it. I could meditate alot more as that seems to be lacking a bit right now. But how can I become a better Buddhist? What can I do to make myself and those around me more happy and balanced? How can I deal with everyday vices and owrk on getting rid of them? I understand a good amount of what I need to do but today things are a bit hazy.

Enough of my babble, anyone??

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    I wish there was an easy answer to this one, LfA... But there isn't. It's a simple (!) case of Patience, Practice and Perseverance. Of being aware of when these feelings arise, of noticing what has made them arise, on focussing on their impermanence and ephemeral quality, on realising that all other beings are looking for Answers....!

You have a right to experience the same feelings as anyone else. The question is how much importance you attach to them, and how long you permit them to linger.

If you are Mindful of your practice, and you maintain yourself in the present, gradually, over time, the practice becomes easier. I will not say it becomes a habit, because somethimes, a habit can manifest through UNconscious behaviour.... like driving along a deserted street in the early hours of the morning, with not a single other vehicle on the road... and you still indicate...! That is not a mindful habit...(Who are you indicating for?!?) That is an engrained habit....

keep on keeping on. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Everyday, being human, we deal with our vices. Myself, I smoke cigarettes. Yes I know how bad they are and what they will do to me, but I can't seem to quit. Sometimes I feel ready and give it a shot but it does not last long. For some reason I enjoy smoking. But I don't want to. I've tried various ways to quit, but nothing has worked. This is a big vice for me. Anger and frustration are somewhat of an issue to. Normally I am a pretty laid back person, but get irritated with what I call "dumb" speak. This is when people ask ridiculous questions, the one's they know the answers to. Or the prodding questions that noone needs to know answers to, like when on the phone and I hang up people ask who it was. Like they need to know or something...

Now I know I can't get rid of all the vices and issues I have right away, this is nearly impossible because there are more than the two mentioned. I have practiced/ been practicing mindfulness and am getting better with it. I could meditate alot more as that seems to be lacking a bit right now. But how can I become a better Buddhist? What can I do to make myself and those around me more happy and balanced? How can I deal with everyday vices and owrk on getting rid of them? I understand a good amount of what I need to do but today things are a bit hazy.

Enough of my babble, anyone??

LFA,

This is a great post. You've become a better Buddhist just by asking these questions. Keeping them in mind is what's going to do it, just like Fede said. You know how to be a better Buddhist. Maybe your question could be "How can I remind myself, when I get angry and frustrated, to behave like a better Buddhist?" This one's all about mindfulness.

I'm sure you have books and other resources that talk about mindfulness. What I do is read about it every week or so to keep me fresh and keep the importance of it on my mind. I have exactly the same issues you do with smoking, anger and frustration. I get lost sometimes and revert to behavior I intensely dislike in myself.

But the more I keep mindfulness on my mind, lol, the calmer I get. Mindfulness has a way of becoming ingrained the more it's practiced, and the more ingrained it becomes the calmer we become. In my opinion it's the greatest thing in the world. Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats a calm mind. A calm mind makes you invincible and mindfulness is how we train the mind to be calm.

You always ask the most pertinent questions. I think you're a lot better at this than you realize. :smilec:

Brigid