Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bill and Ted

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Today
Dearest Sangha members,

I've just finished watching one of my favourite eighties films: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and I'd like to share a few quotes of the startlingly innocent and sober observations these two surfer dude characters offer on the nature of life.
In fact, I feel, these are relevant to the modern Buddhist, hence the reason I put this here and not in the Lotus Lounge.

Please bare with me - I'm typing this from memory.

Circle K quote
(Bill and Ted are sitting at the circle K convenience store when a traveller from the future comes from the sky and tells them he is there to help them with their History report. To compound confusion further, two future versions of Bill and Ted also come out of the sky and begin a conversation with their former selves about their upcoming adventures.)

Bill and Ted discuss their options after their future selves leave.

Ted: I've got a BAD feeling about this...

Bill: I dunno Ted maybe this guy can help us with our report - I mean we told ourselves to trust this guy!

Ted: But what if we were lying?

Bill: (after a pause) Why would we lie to ourselves?

:)

Philosopy quote

(When in Ancient Greece Bill and Ted stumble upon Socrates giving a lecture on the impermenance of our lives - they sit and watch quietly.)

Bill: Socrates... I know that name...

Ted (handing Bill their History book): Here look it up... oh, it's under so-crates.

Bill: Ah here we go...(reading from the book) So-crates... "The only true wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing"... That's US dude!

billted1.jpg

I just thought I'd share that with all of you - it reminded me of a Chinese saying: 'Three people in a room, two are your teacher'.

Gassho

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    LOL!!

That's great, BSF! Love it.

Speaking of which, I was watching a rerun of "Mr. Rogers" (Neighbourhood) on PBS the other day. For those who don't know, Mr. Rogers was a beloved performer for children and his show ran for years and years on Public Television in North America. He was the gentlest and sweetest man and his show consisted of his slow voice talking soothingly and lovingly to the children, telling them that each one of them was special and he did this bit where every time he came in from walking through the neighbourhood he would take off his windbreaker and put on a sweater and take off his shoes and put on his sneakers, all the while singing his sweet signature song. Very gentle child television.

Anyway, he used puppets as well and often played a puppet king in a puppet kingdom who was unable to speak a simple and concise sentence. He would make every word and sentence as complicated as he could in a funny pompous way, but gently. This particular show I was watching had him, as the king puppet, and another character trying to sing "Row, row, row your boat." He had the king complicate the words by going off on a tangent of highly esoteric and often Buddhist thought about the boat, the stream and life being just a dream. It was so hilarious that even he and the other character, a woman, cracked up which was something you didn't see often, if ever, on his show. I laughed for hours after watching it.

I had never noticed it before but "Row, row, row your boat" IS a Buddhist song! LOL! I sing it to myself all the time now.

Love,
    Brigid
    P.S. He died a few years ago. A great loss.