Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness?

SephSeph Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Today
I recently went for my first degree Black Belt testing (Taekwon-do), in which a thesis, or essay, needed to be submitted.

My original Black Belt Thesis was about 10 pages long. The final edited version ended up being closer to 6 pages. Although I am confident much of what was cut was the proper choice, on hindsight there are parts that I regret removing, especially in light of what I learned through the actual black belt testing itself.

One section that was edited out of my thesis was on the topic of General Choi's* Jungshin Sooyang – Moral Culture. [It never made the final cut simply because it was not something my Master specifically taught, or for that matter, even made mention of].

The whole concept of General Choi's Jungshin Sooyang (the ethics and morality behind Taekwon-do) I believe, was built upon Buddhist and Taoist principals and one Buddhist concept is Mindfulness.

In his book, Dharma Road, Brian Haycock has this to say;

“If you want to develop mindfulness, there are several options. First, you can join a monastery. This is the traditional way. For thousands of years, seekers have left their lives behind to take up a new life of contemplation and meditation...

Not all spiritual practice is about peaceful contemplation. The martial arts are based largely on mindfulness practices. The goal is really to keep your head under extreme conditions and react to the action without becoming distracted.”

I think this is interesting. In my black belt thesis I speak of something similar.
When I spend my energy worrying about Tomorrow and regretful for Yesterday, I do nothing but destroy my Today. The illusion is that our Today – our Now – is a tiny hairline separating Yesterday from Tomorrow. The truth of the matter is that there is no future and there is no past, but only an eternally endless Now.
I believe these points all come into coherence for me during the actual black belt test.

The test itself was 3 ½ hours long. It became with running for a half-hour, followed by having to do 200 sit-ups and 200 push-ups within 30 minutes. Then came the patterns – all 11 (near 300 memorized movements/strikes). Then having to perform 250 kicks (shoulder height or higher) within 15 minutes. Then self-defense (had to hold off 3 attackers for 5 minutes), followed by sparring. 3 Rounds with a new (fresh) opponent every round. Then, finally the board breaking.

It was at the patterns stage of the testing that my legs felt like rubber. I kept thinking of how much more I had to do and how little energy I felt I had left. But it was also at this same time that my method of thinking changed. I cannot honestly say whether it simply happened or I chose it. I got to the point when I had to (literally) force myself to function exclusively within the Now. No more thinking about how much more I had to do. No more thinking about how my energy levels were dropping. No more thinking about time. Just focus on what I was doing right here, right now.

And I believe, that was a near perfect example of this Mindfulness.

* General Choi was the founder of Taekwon-do.

Comments

• Sounds grueling. That is a really neat story
  • SephSeph Veteran
    It was brutal.
    I don't think I've (ever) pushed myself like this.
  • Sounds brutal. Nice to know getting a belt really means something and isn't just handed out at whim.

Mindfulness is a powerful tool.
  • SephSeph Veteran

Mindfulness is a powerful tool.
    In this case, it was a necessary one. (Ouch! I'm still sore!)
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Its also an example of "non comparative mind". When it started to get uncomfortable for you, your mind went to comparing how you felt then to earlier in the session. Probably also got in to how much time was left etc. I've noticed this a lot when I'm feeling miserable that my mind goes in different directions about how things 'should' be or what I would prefer to be doing. Just getting back to the present is the answer.
  • I had a little taste when I had to hold a stance with the thighs burning and every time I failed I had to go to the back of the line and got more and more tired. Then I just gave up on them every letting me off the hook and I held long enough.

Anyhow I feeel good from having a taste. Good story it pumpd me up. Thanks.
  • SephSeph Veteran
    Its also an example of "non comparative mind". When it started to get uncomfortable for you, your mind went to comparing how you felt then to earlier in the session. Probably also got in to how much time was left etc. I've noticed this a lot when I'm feeling miserable that my mind goes in different directions about how things 'should' be or what I would prefer to be doing. Just getting back to the present is the answer.
    What (exactly) is "non comparative mind"? It isn't a term I'm familar with.
    (Or is that just another term for what I'm calling 'mindfulness'?)
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    A non-comparative mind is a state that we are encouraged to reach. If you watch your thoughts you will often find that you are comparing your current state to something else - a preferred state. This results in Jealousy and other miserable states.