Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism in art/art that helps practice

pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
edited March 2012 in Arts & Writings
I'm listening to Radiohead's Kid A, an amazing, groundbreaking record. I am a huge fan of all their work but this is one of my absolute favourites.

Apparently Thom was reading the Tibetan book of the dead (or reading about it, not sure) when they wrote this record. I can't explain it but I can *feel* that when I listen. This record puts me in a certain state, I can't quite explain it. Like it reminds me (not that I have any conscious memory) of the space between, I think it's called the bardo? I probably sound nuts.

But if you haven't ever done so, I would recommend listening. In a darkened room, just you and the music. Listen to the record several times on a loop. It will get under your skin.

Anyone else had such an experience with art of some kind? Like it actually felt...Buddhist?

Comments

• My ex's favourite band was radiohead and she use to always go on about them. I do not dismiss your post or claim, but maybe listening to the record in such a setting may trigger some things that I would rather not trigger right now. there are also coincidences such as me being a Tom and into Biddhism, mainly having Tibetan books, but I hope others try out your idea :thumbsup:
  • Haha, fair enough. I can respect that.
  • Haha, fair enough. I can respect that.
    As you may know, fewer people post around the weekend so I hope you get some responses come monday :p I am over my ex to a degree, but she was so profound that something like thst may turn out to be negative for me, sorry.
  • I love connecting art with buddhism.

Art in essence is about understanding symbols.

The process of art making is grounded in the present moment. Clarity, openness and a willingness to be curious will automatically lead oneself towards "flow" or "being in the zone".

But this can apply towards any sense. Whether it is watching a movie or listening to good music. When we are fully present for whatever is there, then I call this "communion."

You basically are touching reality with clarity. I could go on an on an on about art and dharma. But hope you get a lot of responses.
  • I couldn't tease apart the Dharma from painting. Painting is practice. Once skills have been internalized through repeated effort they become second nature, or rather first nature. The practice of painting is just painting with no painter. It is not always like that. There are self-conscious times, and the work shows that self consciousness in its laboured gesture.

The biggest killer is doubt, second guessing. No doubt. No second guessing. Just a spontaneous gesture that has an effortless perfection, like the way a tree grows. But I do think that confidence in skill, born of effort and commitment, is the ground.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Kid A is such a great album, I totally agree (although OK Computer is my personal favorite). I am attracted to music that has a sort of ambient/trance quality to it (I don't necessarily mean the genre here). It's hard to put into words, but with certain songs, there is something about it that just makes it feel as though you're not just listening to a song... the song already existed around you, and you're just there, experiencing it. Does this make sense? It sounds crazy, lol. But certain songs make me feel so in tune with the experience.

I've never thought of the experience as Buddhist though. There is a part in the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky where the main character talks about listening to a song and feeling "infinite". This is what it always made me think of. Feeling infinite.
    "But mostly, I was crying because I was suddenly very aware of the fact that it was me standing up in that tunnel with the wind over my face. Not caring if I saw downtown. Not even thinking about it. Because I was standing in the tunnel. And I was really there. And that was enough to make me feel infinite."

Here's a few I've encountered over the years (although I think it's probably pretty subjective and I'm not sure that any of the examples are nearly as good as Radiohead):

Radiohead::Kid A
    Radiohead::Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    Lali Puna::People I Know
    John Digweed::Cups
    Erik Satie::Gymnopedie No.1
    HIBIKi SOUND FACTORY::Cloudy, With Occasional Rain
    Nakaido Chabo Reichi::Working Man
    Nakaido Chabo Reichi::Lain's Theme
    Aphex Twin::Window Licker
    Theivery Corporation::Lebanese Blonde
    Zero 7::In the Waiting Line

• evolveevolve Explorer
    hi,,

amazing things happen with music sometimes, it's unexplainable but it suddenly feels like everything makes sense. every question worry desire or fear or whatever is okay, we can allow ourselves to sink in and enjoy. something deeply soothes us sometimes and it has a strong communication through music. it's interesting, and can kinda only be understood without words. isn't radiohead currently touring in the U.S?
  • Not sure we're they're touring right now, but they are coming here to Australia in November, and I'm going. :)