Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Impermanent, Ever-Changing Self and Enlightenment

2»

Comments

• Hey xabir

So is enlightenment empty of itself?
    Its empty of sufferinf/false self/samsara
    But is enlightenment empty of enlightenment?
    Yes, enlightenment is empty. Even Nirvana is empty.

I like the way Aṣṭasāhasrikāprajñapāramitā sutra puts it:

"Nirvāṇa is an illusion. Even if there is anything greater than Nirvāṇa, that too will be only an illusion."400 A Bodhisattva is a mere dream. Even the Buddha is only a name. Even the Perfect Wisdom itself is a mere name. Dreams, echoes, reflections, images, mirage, illusion, magic, void—such are all objects of intellect.

‘the Large sutra on Perfect Wisdom’ is also expressed the same idea:

"What is the emptiness of ultimate reality? "Ultimate reality" means Nirvāṇa. And that Nirvāṇa is empty of Nirvāṇa, on account of its being neither unmoved nor destroyed. For such is its essential nature".410
    Hey xabir

So enlightenment is empty of defilements,which means in enlightenment defilements do not exist,suffering does not exist,the 3 poisons do not exist correct?

When you say enlightenment is empty of itself,you are treating enlightenment just like the defilments,suffering,an 3 poisons,u are effectivly saying enlightenment does not exist it is empty itself as it is empty of its defilements(nothing exists).
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited July 2012

Hey xabir

So enlightenment is empty of defilements,which means in enlightenment defilements do not exist,suffering does not exist,the 3 poisons do not exist correct?

When you say enlightenment is empty of itself,you are treating enlightenment just like the defilments,suffering,an 3 poisons,u are effectivly saying enlightenment does not exist it is empty itself as it is empty of its defilements(nothing exists).
    No. Emptiness means empty of four extremes: existence, non-existence, both and neither.

Empty of a real self. Empty of self. Because everything is empty, including Nirvana, it is called 'illusion' - like a mirage, appearing but coreless and insubstantial. The Buddha explained when asked what emptiness is, to be empty of self (or empty of true existence, that can be pinned down).

I do not agree with certain Shentong (empty-of-other) interpretations.

• Hey xabir

No. Emptiness means empty of four extremes: existence, non-existence, both and neither.

Empty of a real self. Empty of self. Because everything is empty, including Nirvana, it is called 'illusion' - like a mirage, appearing but coreless and insubstantial. The Buddha explained when asked what emptiness is, to be empty of self (or empty of true existence, that can be pinned down).

I do not agree with certain Shentong (empty-of-other) interpretations.
    Hey xabir

Thats okay i dont agree with rantong views.
    Also there are many types of emptiness which one are you talking about?And i dont remeber emptiness(all void) as being the 4 extremes hmmm.

Also dualities of existance and none existance can be explained in context.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I guess my question at the core is: if Mahayana schools state that we all have Buddha nature, how does impermanence come into play? Is Buddha nature permanent? This has always confused me.
    A popular zen sutra talks about this, the Platform Sutra.
    "Hui Neng said, “The Dharma Master has been
    lecturing The Nirvana Sutra which says that to
    understand the Buddha-nature is the Buddhadharma
    which is the Dharma of non-dualism.

As Kao Kuei Te
    Wang Bodhisattva said to the Buddha, ‘Does violating
    the four serious prohibitions, committing the five
    rebellious acts, or being an icchantika and the like cut off
    the good roots and the Buddha-nature?’

“The Buddha replied, ‘There are two kinds of good
    roots: the first, permanent; the second impermanent. The
    Buddha-nature is neither permanent nor impermanent.
    Therefore it is not cut off.’

“That is what is meant by non-dualistic. The first is
    good and the second is not good. The Buddha-nature is
    neither good nor bad. That is what is meant by nondualistic.
    Common people think of the heaps and
    realms as dualistic. The wise man comprehends that
    they are non-dualistic in nature. The non-dualistic nature
    is the Buddha-nature.”
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    there was a 'Tumor'

now it is cured

what is there?
  • Dakini:
    If the Buddha taught that the self is in a constant state of change, what happens to self when it reaches Enlightenment?
    I can find no evidence in the Buddhist canon that the Buddha taught that the self or âtman is in a constant state of change (anitya). His discourses show that, instead, the five khandhas, which constitute our pyscho-physcial body, change, not the self.

"What is this Self ? Any phenomenon [dharma] that is true [satya], real [tattva], eternal [nitya], sovereign/ autonomous/ self-governing [aisvarya], and whose ground/ foundation is unchanging [asraya-aviparinama], is termed ’the Self ’ [atman]" (Mahaparinirvana Sutra).
  • SileSile Veteran
    there was a 'Tumor'

now it is cured

what is there?
    A high likelihood of recurrence and a strong commitment to prevention.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    there was a 'Tumor'

now it is cured

what is there?
    A high likelihood of recurrence and a strong commitment to prevention.

true

sunakkata sutta in majjima nikaya says
    why there is a likelihood of recurrence
    (has not done what has to be done)

with a strong commitment to prevention
    (has been doing what has to be done)
    can come to a stage
    (has done what has to be done)
    :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Dakini:
    If the Buddha taught that the self is in a constant state of change, what happens to self when it reaches Enlightenment?
    I can find no evidence in the Buddhist canon that the Buddha taught that the self or âtman is in a constant state of change (anitya). His discourses show that, instead, the five khandhas, which constitute our pyscho-physcial body, change, not the self.

"What is this Self ? Any phenomenon [dharma] that is true [satya], real [tattva], eternal [nitya], sovereign/ autonomous/ self-governing [aisvarya], and whose ground/ foundation is unchanging [asraya-aviparinama], is termed ’the Self ’ [atman]" (Mahaparinirvana Sutra).
    I was just going to post something about the True Self from the Mahaparinirvana Sutra. The sutra says the True Self is what remains when the illusion of a mundane self is lost. The True Self is permanent and indestructible, like diamond. IIRC, it also says that the Buddha nature, the tathagatagarbha, is permanent.

The Buddha taught a Middle Way between a permanent, mundane self, and non-self, so some people interpret that to mean that the self, like the Buddha embryo, the tathagatagarbha, is ever-evolving toward Buddhahood. In any case, my question in the OP was: what happens when Enlightenment is reached? And thanks to KarunaDharmakaya, who posted about the Nirvana Sutra, I have an answer. The Buddha taught that the mundane self falls away and what's left is the True Self.

True Self. That's a new one for me. So this True Self, Buddhahood, the Bliss state, are permanent states, according to the Sutra. Impermanence doesn't apply to Buddhahood and the True Self.

http://nirvanasutra.net