Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suggest a book please

chanrattchanratt Veteran
edited March 2012 in Arts & Writings
I'm looking for a certain kind of book. Like a non-fiction 'journey into Buddhism' type book. I thought "Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist" was going to be like when he started to talk about his exploits on the hippie trail etc, that but that wasn't the case as I got further into the book. Brad Warner's series kinda were but not really. So, does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Try "Crooked Cucumber" by David Chadwick.
  • I'll have a look at that thank you. I guess I should reword what I'm looking for by calling it a buddhist biography instead of a "non-fiction 'journey into Buddhism' type book" lol.
  • I have a unusual love of Brad Warner and Hardcore Zen. He balances his journey in Buddhism with some good real Buddhist teachings. Of course it helps if you have any interest in punk music and/or Japanese monster movies.

Not sure if this meets your needs
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Years ago I read 'The Wheel of Life' by John Blofield. I remember enjoying the read but that is about all. I think I will read it again. It could be the kind of book you are looking for.
  • Crooked Cucumber is the biography of Shunryu Suzuki. Great story and very well written.
  • I have a unusual love of Brad Warner and Hardcore Zen. He balances his journey in Buddhism with some good real Buddhist teachings. Of course it helps if you have any interest in punk music and/or Japanese monster movies.

Not sure if this meets your needs
    thanks Aheerdt but i've read all brad books

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Definetly "dharma punx" by Noah Levine. Very cool story he's the reason my punk behind started meditating and getting into the Buddhism.

A lot.of us here enjoyed his dharma talks as well... it is.

It is a journey into Buddhism book.. I reccomend
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    'City Dharma' by Arthur Jeon.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    The Empty Mirror by Janwillem Van De Wetering is one of my favourites. It is about a young Dutch beatnik and his experience of learning about Zen in a Japanese temple.

The Empty Mirror

A lot of people have recommended Going Buddhist by Peter Conradi, it is on my bookshelf but I haven't read it yet.

Going Buddhist
  • Dharma punx has been on my to-read list for a while now..i've listened to his talks too. Really good.
    That City Dharma looks good also.
    Empty Mirror looks something like Enlightenment Guaranteed (movie) which I loved