Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism in America

mfranzdorfmfranzdorf Veteran
edited March 2012 in Arts & Writings
I know there a ton of blogs on Buddhism out there and you all have your favorites. This was interesting though, and written in plain and simple terms. His other articles are good too, but this is called "what Buddhism isn't". Check it out! http://buddhismfordudes.blog.com/what-buddhism-isnt/

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    All good points (though a bit of a rant), all points that at one time or another have come up on this forum. The same sort of thing happened to Jesus' teachings. Welcome to humanity. ;)
  • He has an interesting, honest and blunt voice and I spent some time reading through his blog. I don't agree with everything, but I understand where he's coming from.
  • Interesting. I learned a lot about how some real Buddhist think.
  • I agree with a lot of what this guy is saying, but who is to change a persons way of life or practice? There will always be scam artists in religious sects and people using it as a label, that is a given, for me personaly, it is my own path and what I can do for myself and how I can help others without trying to change the world.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It's a thoughtful article, and I like it from that perspective.

I think what the author is describing, to some extent, is the state of American religion. And what we Americans believe in -- even above religion -- is the "I have a mind of my own". And so, at least in our time, we have a tendency to make our religion what we want it to be.

And why not?

I know a Catholic who goes to mass every week without fail and considers herself a rather devout Catholic. Doesn't believe in the Catholic position on birth control. Is against abortion, but doesn't believe it should be illegal. Doesn't believe in the concept of Papal infallibility. Doesn't ever go to confession. And why don't many Catholics believe in the basics of Catholic teaching anymore? Because over the decades, Catholic principles have evolved...and should fundamental principles evolve? Not to mention rules evolving. Like not eating meat on Fridays. It's what my Catholic relatives lived by...and was the rule...except that the rule depending on where in the world you lived. And what about all these priests who abusing boys? So why wouldn't a Catholic say that even the Catholic hierarchy doesn't really know what's right and wrong. So, as an Americans Catholic, I'll decide what's right and wrong for myself. I'll make it my own version of Catholicism.

I've known Protestants who believe in the concept of prayer, but also know it often (perhaps even usually) doesn't work (when their mother died of cancer regardless of prayer, etc.). Who hear one Protestant preacher instilling hell and brimstone, while another one is teaching peace and love. Not to mention that there is one Protestant belief in religion -- which is why we have 8 main American denomination of Protestants, splinter groups within those denominations, and other smaller denominations. In other words, all those expert theologians don't really know what's right and wrong. So, as an American Protestant, I'll decide what's right or wrong for myself. I'll make it my own version of Protestantism.

And we Buddhists are in the same boat. Is it all right to eat meat? No, except many Buddhists and monks do. How does karma work? Well, I've read several versions of that, all of which are at least somewhat different, and then there's the basic argument about whether it is an actual "force" (my word) or something within your own mind. Is there such a thing as rebirth? Are there realms of heaven or hell or are they in your own mind? Are the 5 Precepts rules or guidelines? Heck, we are so united (sarcasm) that we have Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, Zen, Pure Land, and Nichiren...not to mention other subgroups. In other words, the powers that be in Buddhism don't really know the answers either. So, as an American, I'll make my own version of Buddhism.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    That is IT in a nutshell :-) and I truly appreciate the validation for secular Buddhism.

Odd though, that I got black font on black background!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    That is IT in a nutshell :-) and I truly appreciate the validation for secular Buddhism.

Odd though, that I got black font on black background!
    I think it is...in a nutshell...why there is a debate between Buddhism being a religion and Buddhism being a philosophy.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I think there is one important piece of reality the author completely misses. We have American Buddhism right now, and the unique form it takes is no form at all. Variety. Buddhist countries all over the world tend to have one school of Buddhism predominate. Teravadan, Zen, Tibetan. For them, Buddhism is monolithic. In the West, we have variety in everything, including religion. There will never be one school of "Western Buddhism", any more than we have one Christian denomination.

Also what we already have are Western Masters leading these schools. Even a cultural school like Tibetan Buddhism is starting to acquire its share of Western born Masters. That's important.

So, saying "Hey, people in the West are getting it wrong!" is simply missing the point. So we will have a vegetarian school of Buddhism. So we will have one where it's conducted in Tibetan that people don't understand. How many Catholics can speak latin? What we will have is a huge stew of varying practices. All Buddhist. This is Western Buddhism.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    A smorgasboard of Buddhist. That's Western Buddhism.

But "secular Buddhism" is uniquely Western.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Interesting. I learned a lot about how some real Buddhist think.
    @Omar067, What's a 'real Buddhist'....?

• Interesting. I learned a lot about how some real Buddhist think.
    @Omar067, What's a 'real Buddhist'....?

I think by real he means those that actually follow and practice ad opposed to those who treat it like a fashion statement or passing fad?

• But that's what people do in every religion, pretty much. We have people in every religion who treat it as a social club, and people who identify with a religion but miss the point completely, but there are always some who immerse themselves completely and it becomes a big part of who they are. We do get a huge share of the explorers, because we're not mainstream, and perhaps a slightly larger share of special people who march to a different tune entirely.

Sorta like a big family, when you come down to it.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    is that a cue for a 'group hug'....?

(that is soooo 'American'......) :D
  • is that a cue for a 'group hug'....?

(that is soooo 'American'......) :D
    They don't hug in the old country?
    :p
    no. they tend to shake hands, blush, and 'hrrumph' a lot.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    "What is Buddhism? Buddhism is four tough-to-take truths, five things you should refrain from doing, and eight suggestions about how to lead a good, ethical and happy life. It highly recommends meditation as the most important of Buddhist activities (for a variety of reasons), and claims that if you want to really be happy, then lead a life of good intentions, compassion and loving-kindness".

Very nice, concise and to the heart.
    To the OP thanks for the post.
  • @Theswingisyellow thanks! That is why I shared it, it spoke to me honestly. I'm not able to eloquently speak about all things Buddhist like some members on here (but I am learning!) And this article summed up a lot of things for me clearly and cleanly.
  • Thank you, darling. This was a good thread.
  • I actually booked marked it.
  • SileSile Veteran
    "Secular Buddhism" is a misnomer, because there is no real, mutually agreed-upon idea of what is "secular."

Bluntly put, things you can weigh and measure with a ruler are considered part of the "secular" world, and things that seem impervious to these measuring devices are considered "mystical, religious voodoo," or "outdated medieval superstition," etc.

In other words, the invisible.

The problem with this approach is that one generation's "invisible" becomes the next generation's "visible."

There was a time when bacteria would not have been considered secular. Bacteria, in fact, defined as "invisible, disease-causing beings" were distinctly heretical. Anti-state. Lies. False ideas from Satan. Only later, when we agreed that enough physical devices could show their existence, did bacteria graduate from Satan's trailer park to God's (and eventually from God's to atheists'.)

Roll the years back, and you had the same issue with "poisonous" tomatoes.

Every year, advances in science turn the "mystical" into generally-accepted, scientific fact.

"Secular Buddhism" is problematic as a concept because it excludes Buddhists who have beliefs outside (dubiously-defined) secularism. Right now we generally equate secularism to "non-religious." This is very dangerous and potentially hurtful, because liked forced atheism (my friend was raised as a forced atheist), it teaches that any thoughts "outside the accepted definition" are heretical. In that sense, it is no better than any particular uber-religious religion, judging people harshly for their individual beliefs or personal variations on belief.

It would, I think, be better to follow HHDL's example (see "Ethics for a New Millennium) in speaking of "universal" ethics; you could even say "universal Buddhism," or "ecumenical Buddhism." Both those concepts allow for a very wide range of personal beliefs; whereas "secular Buddhism" excludes, and silently chastises, anyone who believes that today's "invisible" may be tomorrow's "visible."