Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

another major clean!!

AMHAMH
edited March 2012 in General Banter
I am getting the back porch done!! We downsized 1 1/2 years ago in an extreme way. I have even thought about going down to an apartment next but the back porch and yard are so nice here (the windows stink however). The porch has collected most everything that would be in a garage and it looks like crap. Last summer we ate dinner on the back porch pretty much every night and I wanted it clean for this spring/summer.

So we have a beautiful warm weekend and I am hauling a LOT of stuff off. Most anything usuable that I already set on the curb is already gone. Saves me hauling anything off that is for sure. Other things are being crammed into the storage space and then that will have to be also purged another time, but it will happen. And I am sending an email to the landlord about one fix we need plus asking her to take away the extra fridge that is on the porch.

I am taking before and after pics so I will feel good when I am too hard on myself.

Comments

• You want to come purge my house next, LOL, I have slowly been preparing for few a major garage sale/donation round in preparation for hopefully putting the RV life transition in motion, soon as I get the official papers signed on the divorce.

So my approach at the moment has been gathering all those things in one room, that aren't being used and haven't been touched for more than 6 months, many decor items, old clothes, etc... All that stuff that won't sell in on a weekend garage sale maybe 2 weekends will be donated. (wanna gather as much funds as I can to hopefully out right buy a used RV)

Next stage will be some of the unnecessary furniture we have, that we really don't needs, such as I don't need my Cal King bed, and since I have 2 twins and my son is really well beyond the age of trying to sleep in Mom's bed every night, it would be helpful to not have a bed so big that I don't even feel him crawl in beside me at night. LOL

Last step, after hopefully getting the motor home, will be selling/donating all the big furniture with the exception of a few shelves for in a storage unit to store the boxes of photos, and papers files I have to keep for tax/x-husband reasons. This money will hopefully get a small moped ($1000-2000 or small motorized vehicle alternative to the motor home for transportation, so I can sell my car, and will be off on our hopefully reduced stress, less attached way of living.

I hope, I don't need pictures to remember to pick me up later.
  • We've been cleaning out our house as well. I took 3 black garbage bags of crap out if my room last weekend and I took about 8 bags if stuff to goodwill, and that's only from 4 rooms.
  • Well I got stalled because I could not get the storage cabinent put together right,grrr. So I went to chipotle, tried again, went to meditation and when I got home my son had put it together! So now I will see if I can get most all of it done after all. My parents are coming next weekend for my son's guitar concert and I want it to look nice (they will every time still say no matter how clean 'lets just start cleaning this up' but I know the difference)

MsJeni, that sounds like a good plan. I did a lot of it, but not as much selling as donating and trashing. I was working 7 days a week so of course there was not time. I would also look at Craigslist, a good way to try and get a little money. If it doesn't go in a week or 2 then donate. I must admit that I am getting a little sentimental. My former guy and I had that plan once my son was done with school. He is a project manager in construction so we could go to one of his jobs for however long they needed him and then move on. I was going to substitute teach and work on my novel. It is too bad,
  • well one thing that helps me to let go of much (not all) of the sentimental things is that I got in during my 16 yrs of turmoil, so there really are a lot of things I just need to get away from me because though I have a fond of attachment to them, their is also a negativity I am reminded of having them around me.
    Yes for things like the big furniture, a few other things I will probably list on Craig's, possibly puts some on Ebay. For the most part though I have so much stuff, and I would like to be able to do the RV move within the next 6 months, so much of the stuff I would be better to just donate to goodwill, otherwise it might take years. :) I have been a bit of a pack rat. I have receipts dating back to 2006, neatly in boxes, and there are reasons why I have them, so I am putting them on a flash drive and shredding them.
    I have gotten a 16 g flash to scan and store our photos on, so that they can all be stored.
    When we moved from US to Germany we put about 1/2 or better of our household goods in storage, enough really to fill 2 houses, because we had been told that their houses didn't have nearly as much room as American houses, when we get there we got this huge 3 story 8 bedroom place, thus ended up getting for things to fill it. When we split, I only took a few things and was actually sleeping on a mattress on the floor in my first apartment, so I got more things. Then when my kids came back home to me I got more things. Now my daughter has moved out. So some of these THINGS just need to go so I can make room for living instead of things. LOL Not only that but once the divorce is all settled I will have more things to get rid of.
    I have been kind of spoiled with the amount of things I have had in my life, but they never actually brought me a good feeling. Only looking back on photos with my kinds and family and friends do I get that. So those I guess are the only things I am truly attached to anymore. All the rest really should be just what I need to live.

In away I guess I feel these things I have gather have really just been a waste of my time and I have realized more and more the in the past few months. I doubt it will happen but I do kind of wonder if after I get rid of all my things will I go through some kind of sadness having let them go. Part of the reason for doing it in stages as well.