Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

To live in this world you must be able to do three things

weightedweighted Veteran
edited March 2012 in Arts & Writings
I came across the following quote earlier and think it's so relevant to all of our practices and every day lives.

It's from Mary Oliver's poem In Blackwater Woods.
To live in this world

you must be able
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it

against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

Comments

• I love that weighted. That's wonderful.

• That is wonderful, I was going to go against it when I read the whole hold it part, but yes everything needs to be dropped at some point. But sometimes if we hold, we become attached with a kind of glue, that is dangerous. However, this is beautiful and short 'n' sweet, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
  • 1 Think
    2 Act
    3 Feel
    These are the only three things human beings CAN do.
  • Thanks for posting that. Nice and simple!
  • IñigoIñigo Explorer
    1 Think
    2 Act
    3 Feel
    The challenge as I see it, is how to do all these 3 without causing regret and extinguish any existing regret. Any suggestions?
  • 1 Think
    2 Act
    3 Feel
    The challenge as I see it, is how to do all these 3 without causing regret and extinguish any existing regret. Any suggestions?
    A life lived completely and fully has to contain regrets. A person with no regrets is a person who has never learned a lesson.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

A life lived completely and fully has to contain regrets. A person with no regrets is a person who has never learned a lesson.

Very well put.