Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thich Nhat Hanh

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited March 2012 in Arts & Writings
Can anybody advise me on one of his best books, nothing specific with regards to the dharma such as meditation or nibanna, just an all around generally good book. Thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    peace is every step.
    It's lovely.
  • Can anybody advise me on one of his best books, nothing specific with regards to the dharma such as meditation or nibanna, just an all around generally good book. Thanks.

I'd recommend "The miracle of mindfulness"
  • I will note these down and then do some research into the books, thank you.
  • The miracle of mindfulness is my favourite.
  • The miracle of mindfulness is my favourite.
    May I ask why @etherea ?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Old Path, White clouds is a good one. It's really not an instruction manual on meditation or practicing the dharma, etc. It's like a novel or narrative story and the story is about the Buddha. The encounters he had when he was growing up, the friends he had, his family, the little kids he used to sit with and eat breakfast with, etc. It's almost like a movie. :)
  • Old Path, White clouds is a good one. It's really not an instruction manual on meditation or practicing the dharma, etc. It's like a novel or narrative story and the story is about the Buddha. The encounters he had when he was growing up, the friends he had, his family, the little kids he used to sit with and eat breakfast with, etc. It's almost like a movie. :)
    That does sound interesting, I could always purchase that and a book on buddhist practice, one a novel and one not so :)
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living

(From Amazon.com's product description)
    "Developed during a summer retreat at Plum Village, Thich Nhat Hanh's meditation center, these charming short verses were collected to help children and adults practice mindfulness throughout the day. The verses, or gathas, are designed to make everyday activities — such as washing the dishes, driving the car, or turning on the television — opportunities to return to a state of mindfulness. As exercises in both meditation and poetry, gathas are very much in keeping with the Zen tradition: the gatha helps readers become attuned to each action, and at its conclusion, even the most mundane activity is imbued with heightened awareness. Reciting these poetic yet practical verses helps readers slow down and savor every moment. Nhat Hanh’s warm, thoughtful commentary provides insight and inspiration. "

I bought this for a good friend for her birthday. Prior to handing it over I read it cover to cover and ended up getting a new copy for her. A charming little book.
  • I'm reading the art of power...I'm on page 10...so far so good.
  • Peace is Every Step is wonderful, but I love everything of his I've read. The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching is also a great book on the dharma.
  • The Stone Boy - it not so much about Buddhism but it very much about compassion. It is some of Thay's Vietnam experiences - it is deeply moving.
  • The Stone Boy - it not so much about Buddhism but it very much about compassion. It is some of Thay's Vietnam experiences - it is deeply moving.
    I am motivated mostly in budhism by compassion, so thank you for the info @pineblossom
    'peace is every step' keeps coming up from people, so I guess that must be a good read as well.
  • Tom, why is the miracle of mindfulness my favourite? Probably because it was recommended to me and was the first of Thich Nhat Hahn's books that I read. I have since built up a small library of his works. ...... the latest being "Peace is every step" He has a way of writing that makes me feel like he is speaking solely to me. I can't quite explain it.
  • Tom, why is the miracle of mindfulness my favourite? Probably because it was recommended to me and was the first of Thich Nhat Hahn's books that I read. I have since built up a small library of his works. ...... the latest being "Peace is every step" He has a way of writing that makes me feel like he is speaking solely to me. I can't quite explain it.
    Thankyou for the reply. I have a few buddhist books, mainly by the dalai lama, and I have read/heard Thich Nhat's name a lot, so I was curious to see what books were good. I think that it is best to purchase books written by dedicated practioners as they really know what they are talking about.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    You say you are motivates by compassion mostly.. I recommend true love.. I think that's what it is called.. very small.book but it seems fitting
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    "You Are Here" and "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching."