Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Felt a Heaven?

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited May 2006 in Faith & Religion
Anyone here felt that there had to be a heaven, or seriously longed for an eternal heaven, but used strict reasoning to curb it?

I think my signature practically explains eveything. How I really long for a heaven but I know it's not possible. (I'm not sufferring over it! Just pondering!)

Comments

• edited April 2006
    What is heaven?
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Here it refers to the eternal place where all the dead go for their afterlife, where all is perfect.

I do not care so much about perfection there, but I must really say when you are in a relationship attachment tends to tempt you, and it is in here where Buddhism becomes very applicable. You just wish for a heaven to exist just to spend an eternity with your treasured ones.

I must say this, heaven has an even greater influence on me since she's Christian and is actively involved in evangelism. I did tell her to be more devoted (not that she isn't) to her faith if she truly worries for my salvation since I wouldn't possibly be converted (thanks Jake for this!)

Sometimes I truly long for a heaven to exist, and I know by simply converting to Christianity or any other montheistic religion doesn't really make me gain access to this place even if I have true faith. It is because to me, it doesn't exist a place for eternity. There isn't even such a place.

But coming back to the point, anyone felt a longing for such a place before? Karl Marx was right when he said that religion is the people's opium. How true.
  • edited April 2006
    Sure. Have in the past, and may in the future. I asked the question because 'heaven' might be different things to different people. When I ask that question these days I realize that for me it is coming from a place of want/desire/longing/doubt/fear/etc. Like Scarlett O'Hara (Gone With The Wind)...I can't think about that (heaven) right now. :) I realize that my work is all the stuff that is hiding behind the question.
  • edited April 2006
    I reason there must be a heaven because of reincarnation into the heavenly realm, suggesting existence of a heaven, merely a place of peace where we are free of all the troubles and worries of the physical world, but maybe not what Christians (or at least Catholics) are taught is heaven, but one may exist nonetheless.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I'd just like somewhere timeless... Hmm... That's impossible.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Many years ago, I had a dream (yes, I know how boring that can be for anybody but the dreamer so please forgive me).

In this dream, I saw Heaven, traditional and serene. But then I realised that it wasn't the end of the path I seemed to be following in the dream. Beyond Heaven was Paradise, a perfect garden, and I felt the joy of such a place and that it was the destination. But dreams don't let you off that easily and the path went on beyond the Paradise and into ..... something. I know I saw it in the dream but, the second I woke, it was gone.

The trick is to be "turned around" (see Thomas) and realise that this, here, now is potential beyond Paradise:

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
    A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread--and Thou
    Beside me singing in the Wilderness--
    Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

• edited April 2006
    In my concept, everything we are and all that surrounds us is timeless. It is the concept of one thing changing into another we decide to see as good or bad, living or dying, everlasting or perishing. We tend to look so hard for this "heaven" or running away from "hell" that we fail to see what Simon was talking about when he said to look to Thomas. Here and now!
    Mike
  • edited May 2006
    I once found myself concerned with heaven and now I don't bother with what happens after I die. This life has enough worries of it's own without thinking about another one. My mom and sister can't fathom how I would doubt the existence of a heaven or hell. I just don't see the importance. Regardless of it's existence or lack there of, the answer will not affect the way I act or my personality by any standards. And to quote a man I once believed I would meet in heaven.....

"Do not worry about tommorow. Does today not have enough evil for one day to worry about tommorow."
    Jesus
  • edited May 2006
    Shortly after my wife & I got married, I had a long talk about this with her parents. You see, her family is very right wing, conservative christian- and my family is pretty much the opposite. They told me that being the man of the family and bringing children into the world, I need to have them follow the christian path so that they can make it to heaven so that my inlaws can be with them for eternity. First of all, if I had to spend eternity with my inlaws, I would rather head south after death. I told them that I believe after we die, there is no heaven or hell. There is no way I can raise children to believe in something I find as real as Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. I used to have no quarrels with religion, but since I have joined into this family which I love and am very happy to be part of, I have grown more and more impatient with christianity. I have it pushed in my face all of the time. I am trying to be tolerant and just let them be happy with it, but they sure do test me! it makes them happy, and I know they think they are helping me, but I just cannot agree with the views, imaginary savior, and lack of tolerance for so many things.

If there is a heaven, and I might be screwed when my time comes...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    "Tell them this:
    It little matters whether Heaven exits or not; the Important is to live Life as if it did."
  • edited May 2006
    Excellent qoute Federica.
  • edited May 2006
    yeaa.. thas true.. but to answer original question ..

we all feel like that at some time .. for example sometimes i feel like theres something 'supernatural' around.. kidna watching me.. but is probs paranoia..

ain't real.. and i dunno i'd like heaven to exist but the concept is sooo flawed in my opinion, reason kinda knocks it out the window.. Imperfect guy with faults judging you whether you are evil or good.... hmmm you what??

but i don't believe it does and its not a big deal if it doesn't anyway