Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It's the spring equinox and I planted TOMATO SEEDS TODAY!!

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited March 2012 in General Banter
Life is good! :) Eleven varieties, 72 total sets started. I'm a gonna be a swimmin' in 'maters come September. If I repeat 2007, I'll still be eating canned tomatoes from those humble little seeds in 2019! Warm germination wishes to all of you little buggers. You're moist, warm, and cozy. Now sprout! :)

Comments

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Where do you live? Where I live, it's supposed to be 70 degrees, but it's been 85-90 everyday. It's freakin hot and humid; more akin to summer than spring.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    tomatooooe's give u the runs if u eeet too menny.....

I had an experience once.....
    memorable....
    'nuff said.

trust me on that one.......
  • In the summertime I eat tomatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I often get ulcers in my mouth because of the acid, but it's a punishment I've learned to deal with. Like beer, tomatoes are, to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy :)

I live in southwest Virginia.
  • Your tomatoes must be delicious. Are they heirloom seeds? I envy people who have green thumbs. Do you can them?
  • yummm, I got permission for a garden. I cant put anything out yet inColorado but I am looking forward to it. I want to do half traditional tomatoes and half roma.

You will have to post periodic pictures of the garden
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Planted giant sunflower seeds - and a variety of colors of ornamental sunflowers from seed.

The giants grow over six feet tall and seem to say.."Feed me!" as they bend down from the weight of the blossom and seeds.

When the seeds dry in the giant and snack seed variety - the birds and the squirrels and the occasional rat or mouse get backyard garden treats.
  • Wow! I've just picked the last of this seasons cherry tomatoes. If I'm careful about how I move them to suit the light and heat in different rooms they grow, flower and fruit all year. Basil planted a few days ago and the seedlings are already up through the soil. I love it!:)
  • Good luck with that, tamatoes are pretty easy to grow as far as plants are concerned. A warm germination to you as well, although not being a bugger I would not wish you a biggering good germanation period :D
  • I'm in the process of making my garden now. Got 3 types of tomatoes. Got gourds, onions, beets, sunflowers, and some other stuff.
  • Your tomatoes must be delicious. Are they heirloom seeds? I envy people who have green thumbs. Do you can them?
    1. Yes they are.

2. Yes they are.

3. Thank you.

4.Abso-freakin-loutely!

I just recently used the last of my 2007 canned tomatoes. I typically make what we call "stewed tomatoes", which means I cook them with some celery, salt & pepper, and some bell pepper if I have it. I use that either alone as a soup or soup starter in the winter, or you can make things like curry, black beans & rice, etc out of it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I'm in the process of making my garden now. Got 3 types of tomatoes. Got gourds, onions, beets, sunflowers, and some other stuff.
    So the weather must be good where you are. That must be a nice change from winter.

• Mountains, I make a tomato sauce with similar ingredients to you but I always include peppers. I freeze mine in meal size portions. It truly is a basis for almost anything. In fact my partner has been known to spread it on bread with cheese and oregano or basil on top and then flashed under the grill.
  • what canning method do you recommend? I have been thinking about learning how to can my own food. Is there a book or a site?
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited March 2012
    The Ball (as in Ball Mason jars) Blue Book of Home Canning is the bible as far as I'm concerned. If you're really planning on doing it, don't by a cheap pressure canner. Spend a little extra money and get an All American brand canner. Cheap ones are just that - cheap. The All American canners have much thicker walls, turned from a solid block of aluminum, and have much higher grade dogs (the clasps that hold the lid in place). All American canners also have a lid without a rubber gasket - it's a tight metal-to-metal fit, and an excellent pressure gauge. And whatever size you think you need, get at least the next size bigger, if not two sizes bigger.

Note that if you have an electric stove with a glass top you can't use any kind of home canner. You'll crack the glass (ask me how I know). Fortunately I now cook with LP gas.

All American canners are widely available, but I've always dealt with Lehman's (www.lehmans.com). They cater to off the grid folks like hippies and the Amish.