Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dispassion

taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
edited March 2012 in Buddhism Basics
What is dispassion in Buddhism?
Is it equanimity?
Does it arise as a result in seeing reality as it is (3 marks)?

Is it dispassion about certain things?

As I recall it is dispassion which brings about the end to craving, which leads to nirvana.

I'd like to hear your opinions on dispassion (from a Buddhist point of view).

Comments

• zenffzenff Veteran
    Any piece of furniture is dispassionate. So what?

Passion is just passion.
    Freedom is where there is no clinging and no rejecting.

The real dispassion is seeing the empty nature of all phenomena; not identifying with anything and not identifying with emptiness either.

Just my 2 cents.
  • IñigoIñigo Explorer
    edited March 2012
    Hello Taiyaki
    My understanding is that dispassion is basically a result of the noble 8 fold path e.g. 'right view', rather than a tool in itself as in other Dharmic paths. This is a useful explanation of how it arises: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an11/an11.001.than.html

Metta

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2012
    In my understanding, the Pali term viraga (literally 'fading away'), most commonly translated as 'dispassion,' refers to the mind's inclination at a very subtle level to become dispassionate towards, and turn away from, phenomena, particularly the six sense media (SN 35.95) and/or the five aggregates (SN 22.121). At a certain stage in the practice, the mind essentially lets go of clinging (upadana) in regard to these phenomena, opening itself up to that which is unconditioned — the deathless element (amata-dhatu), as it's sometime called — in a profound psychological event that radically changes the way the mind relates to experience in general, ending our mental addictions and enabling us to enjoy life with a truly free heart in the process.
  • edited March 2012
    Any piece of furniture is dispassionate. So what?
    Of all the paths the Eightfold Path is the best; of all the truths the Four Noble Truths are the best; of all things dispassion is the best: of men the Seeing One (the Buddha) is the best.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.20.budd.html
    Monks, among things conditioned and unconditioned, dispassion is reckoned to be the best of them all: the crushing of all infatuation, the removal of thirst, the uprooting of attachment, the cutting off of the round, the destruction of craving, dispassion, Nibbāna. Those who have faith in the Dhamma of dispassion have faith in the best; and for those who have faith in the best, the best result will be theirs.

http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155.pdf

• edited March 2012
    Does it arise as a result in seeing reality as it is (3 marks)?
    from Buddha's 2nd sermon on the three marks:
    Seeing [the impermanence, unsatisfactoriness & not-self of the five aggregates] thus, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with form, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.than.html
    :)
    Is it equanimity?
    imo, 'no'. equinimity can probably arise through many ways, such as thru concentration, thru metta practise or thru insight (into the 3 marks). but dispassion is like vomiting up ignorance & its products, like when tongue tastes rotten food & automatically spits that food out of its mouth

in the scriptures, the word 'nibbida', translated as 'disenchantment' , 'revulsion', 'disgust', etc, is used in association with dispassion

with metta :)

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Is it dispassion about certain things?

I would say yes, all the things that are within the 5 aggregates.

• Thanks for this post @taiyaki over the past 4-6 weeks I have noticed myself becoming less and less interested in many things, I thought there was something wrong with me but I can see that it is basically what has been discussed here. The urge to listen to music for example has totally faded away all together. That is not to say that I feel that I should be kept away from music, I just have no desire to open up any song.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    my understanding of Buddha's teaching till now: noble truth of origination of stress is - craving accompanied by delight and passion leads to renewed becoming. So dispassion will mean let the things as they are - neither liking them, nor disliking them - so that there is no craving for sensuality, becoming and non-becoming.

Is it equanimity? - i think dispassion is not equanimity, as equanimity is a mental state like rapture and happiness - so towards equanimity, there can be passion or dispassion.

Does it arise as a result in seeing reality as it is (3 marks)? - yes

Is it dispassion about certain things? - i think it is dispassion for everything, which we can perceive through our 6 senses.

If anything above is not correct, please feel free to correct it. Thanks in advance.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Equanimity is not exactly dispassion. For dispassion, imagine watching a movie you were passionate about for 100 times until you can memorize every word and got so sick of it. You become dispassionate of the movie. That is just a gross example.

If you have knowledge and vision of the impermanence, unsatisfactoriness/suffering and non-self of phenomena, that will bring dispassion.

There were cases where the Buddha magically showed people a very pretty young girl who in less than a minute transitioned into old age, died, and turned to skeleton. This alone was enough for some to arouse knowledge and vision of phenomena and lead to dispassion and awakening.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    And about the movie watched for 100 times leading to dispassion, consider this:

SN 15.13 PTS: S ii 187 CDB i 658
    Timsa Sutta: Thirty
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 2009–2012
    Now on that occasion the Blessed One was dwelling in Rajagaha, in the Bamboo Grove. Then thirty monks from Pava — all wilderness dwellers, all alms-goers, all triple-robe wearers, all still with fetters — went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side.

Then the thought occurred to the Blessed One, "These thirty monks from Pava... are all still with fetters. What if I were to teach them the Dhamma in such a way that in this very sitting their minds, through lack of clinging, would be released from fermentations?"

So he addressed the monks: "Monks."

"Yes, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "From an inconceivable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. What do you think, monks? Which is greater, the blood you have shed from having your heads cut off while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time, or the water in the four great oceans?"

"As we understand the Dhamma taught to us by the Blessed One, this is the greater: the blood we have shed from having our heads cut off while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time, not the water in the four great oceans."

"Excellent, monks. Excellent. It is excellent that you thus understand the Dhamma taught by me.

"This is the greater: the blood you have shed from having your heads cut off while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time, not the water in the four great oceans.

"The blood you have shed when, being cows, you had your cow-heads cut off: Long has this been greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"The blood you have shed when, being water buffaloes, you had your water buffalo-heads cut off... when, being rams, you had your ram-heads cut off... when, being goats, you had your goat-heads cut off... when, being deer, you had your deer-heads cut off... when, being chickens, you had your chicken-heads cut off... when, being pigs, you had your pig-heads cut off: Long has this been greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"The blood you have shed when, arrested as thieves plundering villages, you had your heads cut off... when, arrested as highway thieves, you had your heads cut off... when, arrested as adulterers, you had your heads cut off: Long has this been greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"Why is that? From an inconceivable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabrications, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."

That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, the monks delighted in the Blessed One's words. And while this explanation was being given, the minds of the thirty monks from Pava — through lack of clinging — were released from fermentations.

See also: SN 15.3.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    "Is it dispassion about certain things?"

No, dispassion about everything. Even non-dual awareness! It does not mean dissociate from awareness (same goes for everything), it means nothing that is impermanent and empty are fit for clinging. To cling is to suffer. Seeing the emptiness of everything, there is no clinging, there is no dissociation, there is simply the spontaneous appearance and dissolution of everything on its own accord.

"The real dispassion is seeing the empty nature of all phenomena"

Well said. Phena Sutta:

"That's the way it goes:
    it's a magic trick,
    an idiot's babbling.
    It's said to be
    a murderer.[1]
    No substance here
    is found.

Thus a monk, persistence aroused,
    should view the aggregates
    by day & by night,
    mindful,
    alert;
    should discard all fetters;
    should make himself
    his own refuge;
    should live as if
    his head were on fire —
    in hopes of the state
    with no falling away."
  • Seeing [the impermanence, unsatisfactoriness & not-self of the five aggregates] thus, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with form, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate.
    Disenchantment (nibbida in Pali) leads to dispassion.

dis·en·chant·ed, dis·en·chant·ing, dis·en·chants
    -To free from illusion or false belief; undeceive.
    -no longer believing in the value of something, especially having learned of the problems with it

enchanted [ɪnˈtʃɑːntɪd]
    adj
    1. under a spell; bewitched; magical
    2. utterly delighted or captivated; fascinated; charmed
  • IñigoIñigo Explorer
    Hi Taiyaki
    Contrary to my statement above I have just found that dispassion can be approached as a practice:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.031.than.html

metta.
    Hello Taiyaki
    My understanding is that dispassion is basically a result of the noble 8 fold path e.g. 'right view', rather than a tool in itself as in other Dharmic paths. This is a useful explanation of how it arises: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an11/an11.001.than.html

Metta