Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Siddartha by Herman Hesse

edited April 2006 in General Banter
I bought an old copy of this book thinking it was going to be a book about the Buddha, but was surprised to find a fictional account of an ascetic named Siddartha who began as the Buddha did, wanting to go and find his salvation and actually meets Gotama Buddha.

has anyone else read this book? what are your thoughts?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Craig wrote:
    I bought an old copy of this book thinking it was going to be a book about the Buddha, but was surprised to find a fictional account of an ascetic named Siddartha who began as the Buddha did, wanting to go and find his salvation and actually meets Gotama Buddha.

has anyone else read this book? what are your thoughts?

I love Hesse's work, particularly The Glass Bead Game. Siddartha was a big influence on the Beat writers. GBG is one of the books that I am never without, however often I cull my library.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    SIMON'S BACK......Yeaaaaaaayyyyy!!!!!:bigclap: :wavey:
  • edited April 2006
    Welcome back!!! :bigclap: :cheer:

Hope you haven't been too busy and have had plenty of opportunity to recover from your post-op maladies.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2006
    It is really good to be back. It has been an 'interesting' time.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    well, don't just sit there - go to "How was your day?" and spill the beanz!! ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Yes, you ole, dodger.

Good to see you back.

Now... I'm just hoping that you don't go on haitus again because your leg fell off or something...

-bf
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Welcome back, Simon :)

I've read both The Glass Bead Game and Siddhartha... They are both excellent books, although Siddhartha is a bit more digestible. GBG is a bit slow to start, at least to me, but in the end a very rewarding book :)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I love Hesse's work, particularly The Glass Bead Game. Siddartha was a big influence on the Beat writers. GBG is one of the books that I am never without, however often I cull my library.

Dear Simon,

Next time you decide to cull part of your library, and knowing how much a fan of books I am, you can send them to me if you like.

and that is regardless of what my wife thinks is my already too full, Library at home!

cheers.

Xray:crazy: