Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and music

cjpcjp
edited April 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hi. This is my first post and all, but I've been reading this forum for over a month or so.

I'm not exactly practicing Buddhism, but I would like to start. I've read a few books so far and have been quite attracted to Zen master Dogen's writings. I may not "get" his writing at the level that adept Buddhists "get" it, but his Genjokoan is easily one of the most beautiful things I've ever read, and I want to know more!

Anyway, personal introduction aside, I have a more general question about Buddhism. Other religions seem to use music as an aid to worship and in ceremonies and whatnot. Buddhism, from what I'm to understand, is a bit different from most religions in that ritual and ceremony is not quite as important as actual practice. So, does music play any part whatsoever in any aspect of Buddhism? I've seen and read examples of other types of art created by Buddhists (paintings and poetry), but I've never heard any music.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

CJP

Comments

• edited April 2006
    Hi CJP and welcome!
    I guess the role of music would change from tradition to tradition.
    From my Soto Zen perspective, when I went on retreat to the OBC (Order Of Buddhist Contemplatives) Abbey here in the UK we chanted the services in the style of plain song - sounds a bit like Gregorian chanting - while being accompanied on an organ.
    It was a bit of a shock initially as I expected us to have to chant in Japanese in some kind of monotone voice but once I got used to it started to sound beautiful!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2006
    At the NKT meetings that I have attended, there were 'prayers' sung/intoned at the start and end. The 'tunes' and the words were so reminiscent of Methodist droning that I found little connection with the wonderful music that I heard in Indian and Tibetan temples. It was bloodless, gutless and insipid where the chanting and instrumental music of the communities that I encountered moved at a visceral level.

Mind you, I have the same experience when I hear a congregation grinding out hymns and compare with the great mysteries celebrated in Gregorian chant!