Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can anyone recommend a good Buddhist book to read?

edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, I've been following the Buddhist path now for about 8-9 months now and I'm finding out what works for me and what doesn't. I find myself at my most peaceful when I am reading about Buddhism. If I'm feeling slightly irritated or a bit down I will sit and read a few pages of whatever book I am reading at the time and this seems to work for me. Throughout the day (even if I'm not reading at that moment) I can reflect about what I have been reading or what I have learnt and that helps me a great deal.

I have read a few books now but there is one that I keep coming back to it's called 'Buddhism:Tools for living your life' by Vajragupta. This is like my 'bible' in a sense. Can anyone recommend a book for me that's fairly easy going to read?

Can I just say that my life has changed so much since I began this path and I'm enjoying it so much. I look at life differently and handle things in a totally different way than I did before. :)

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I read this recently, and really enjoyed it:

Exploring Karma and Rebirth by Nagapriya

It's written in a style that's modern and easily understandable for someone new-ish to Buddhism. It's helped me sort a few questions I had over karma and rebirth.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Theravada.. Anything by Ajahn Sumedho (available online and off for free)

Zen... anything by Charlotte Joko Beck (available online and off free or inexpensive)

Both are solid and direct..
  • Thankyou guys, I will definately check those out!
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Oh, top book here too:

No Self No Problem by Anam Thubten

I recommend this one over my first one.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Transform your life : Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    An oddly good beginner's primer: "Idiot's Guide to Buddhism" - Gary Goch

"In The Buddha's Words; An Anthology of Discussions from the Pali Canon" - Bhikkhu Bodhi
    "The Art of Happiness; A Handbook for Living" - HH Dalia Lama
    "The Wise Heart; A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology" - Jack Kornfield
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill - Matthieu Ricard

Also

What the Buddha Taught -Walpola Rahula
    Available free in the Web.

Two fantastics books, totally recommended.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Suttanipata. :thumbsup:
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Suttanipata. :thumbsup:
    Way is too heavy, better start with the Suttapitaka... oh wait!

• BonsaiDoug I have recently read 'The art of happiness in a troubled world' by H H Dalai Lama. I really enjoyed that :)

Thankyou for the suggestions! I should work my way through them but where to start hehe :)

I'll write them all down and google them, thanks again!
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Anything by Bhikkhu Bodhi his books are fantastic :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    How about any good books in ebook form, online?
  • The Dharmapada, Again and again, over and over, in as many versions as you can find:)

I cannot see what is in the rest of the Pali Cannon that is not in the Dhammapada?

x
  • Anything from Forest Sangha free publications (you pay for postage)

I particularly recommend Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho.

http://forestsanghapublications.org/

• DMGDMG
    edited April 2012
    What the Buddha Taught by Walopa Rahula
    Being Dharma by Ajahn Chah
    Insight Meditation by Joseph Goldstein
    Being Zen by Ezra Bayda (any Bayda books)
    Lovingkindness by Sharon Salzberg
    Essential Teachings by the Dalai Lama
    Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
    Wise Heart by Jack Kornfield
    Any book by Pema Chodron or Thich Nhat Hahn are going to be very accessible.

I found all of these to be great entry level books that place the teachings of the Buddha in a down to earth context.