Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Dhammapada - Chapter 8 - The Thousands - v100- 115

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited April 2006 in Philosophy
The Thousands
Translated from the Pali by
Acharya Buddharakkhita
Alternate translation: Buddharakkhita Thanissaro

100. Better than a thousand useless words is one useful word, hearing which one attains peace.

101. Better than a thousand useless verses is one useful verse, hearing which one attains peace.

102. Better than reciting a hundred meaningless verses is the reciting of one verse of Dhamma, hearing which one attains peace.

103. Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself.

104-105. Self-conquest is far better then the conquest of others. Not even a god, an angel, Mara or Brahma can turn into defeat the victory of a person who is self-subdued and ever restrained in conduct. 12

106. Though month after month for a hundred years one should offer sacrifices by the thousands, yet if only for a moment one should worship those of perfected minds that honor is indeed better than a century of sacrifice.

107. Though for a hundred years one should tend the sacrificial fire in the forest, yet if only for a moment one should worship those of perfected minds, that worship is indeed better than a century of sacrifice.

108. Whatever gifts and oblations one seeking merit might offer in this world for a whole year, all that is not worth one fourth of the merit gained by revering the Upright Ones, which is truly excellent.

109. To one ever eager to revere and serve the elders, these four blessing accrue: long life and beauty, happiness and power.

110. Better it is to live one day virtuous and meditative than to live a hundred years immoral and uncontrolled.

111. Better it is to live one day wise and meditative than to live a hundred years foolish and uncontrolled.

112. Better it is to live one day strenuous and resolute than to live a hundred years sluggish and dissipated.

113. Better it is to live one day seeing the rise and fall of things than to live as hundred years without ever seeing the rise and fall of things.

114. Better it is to live one day seeing the Deathless than to live a hundred years without ever seeing the Deathless.

115. Better it is to live one day seeing the Supreme Truth than to live a hundred years without ever seeing the Supreme Truth.

-bf

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Ahhh.... now this set of verses spoke volumes to me.

To be honest, when I was snatching this bit to post in here, I was wondering, "Hmm... what the hell does the thousands mean?"

But, I always take the time to sit, read and reflect upon what I've posted in these threads.

For some reason, I draw from my Christian background because... well... because I can't help it. It was pounded into me for so many years. But, this does remind me of the teaching, "if you have not love... tinkling cymbols and sounding brass."

One could easily take just one of these verses and use it for the rest of their lives.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    104-105. Self-conquest is far better then the conquest of others. Not even a god, an angel, Mara or Brahma can turn into defeat the victory of a person who is self-subdued and ever restrained in conduct.

This is mine, BF. This is the one that gives me courage and hope and reminds me that it's all up to me. For me, the practice is about self control because it leads to where I want to go and without it I'm lost.

But the chapter as a whole speaks volumes to me, too, BF. This is another one that reminds me to sit up straight. I love this.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Ahhh.... now this set of verses spoke volumes to me.

To be honest, when I was snatching this bit to post in here, I was wondering, "Hmm... what the hell does the thousands mean?"

But, I always take the time to sit, read and reflect upon what I've posted in these threads.

For some reason, I draw from my Christian background because... well... because I can't help it. It was pounded into me for so many years. But, this does remind me of the teaching, "if you have not love... tinkling cymbols and sounding brass."

One could easily take just one of these verses and use it for the rest of their lives.

-bf

Hey BF,

About having Christanity beaten into you. You and me both. although come to think of it I quite liked the beatings:crazy: , In fact I miss them....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Well, feel free to go back... or find a public phone box in a seedy part of town, and pick a number.... any number..... ;)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    every part of my town is seedy.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Or you could ask your wife for a couple of whacks upside the head. I'm sure she'd oblige.

Your loving and devoted sister,
    Brigid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    In the same situation, name me a woman who wouldn't - !! :lol:
  • edited April 2006
    This chapter breathes exactly the Dharma which I try to practise. Most natably these following verses - the heart of the Buddhas teachings, in my opinion ;)

103. Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself.

110. Better it is to live one day virtuous and meditative than to live a hundred years immoral and uncontrolled.

111. Better it is to live one day wise and meditative than to live a hundred years foolish and uncontrolled.

113. Better it is to live one day seeing the rise and fall of things than to live as hundred years without ever seeing the rise and fall of things.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Hey BF,

About having Christanity beaten into you. You and me both. although come to think of it I quite liked the beatings:crazy: , In fact I miss them....

I never gave up the "self-flaggelation" - it's too fun! :)

-bf
    edited April 2006
    :skeptical :nonono: :rolleyesc

You guys......