Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Listen to the recitation of the Arabic Quran

I know many of you haven't heard the Quran being recited. You might have read the English translation, but the Arabic recitation is much more beautiful. You can listen to the poetic Quran on this website:

http://quran.mangga.com/quran_mp3_hudhaifi.html

(They come in MP3 format, but they are Zipped. You have to Unzip them. I have linked to Al-Hudhafi's recitation, but there are other reciters there too on that website.)

This is one of my favourite Surahs (Ar-Rahman): http://quran.mangga.com/hudhaifi/s055_ar-rahman.zip

[Notice that in this Surah, most of the sentences rhyme with the "aan"/"aam" sound]

Here is the first Surah (Al-Fatiha): http://quran.mangga.com/hudhaifi/s001_al-fatiha.zip

[Notice that in this Surah, most of the sentences rhyme with the "eem"/"een" sound]

There are 114 Surahs in total. Most of the verses in the Quran rhyme.

Comments

• ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I've heard before, and it is perhaps proof of Arabic's own beauty and grace in its phoenetics along. I've once heard some Muslims once debate on God's decision to use Arabic instead of some other languages to his Last Prophet, who could, through His Will, be just another person but is not. They touched on the nature of Arabic, and I must agree that it is beautiful, even more exceptionally in the context of the Quran.

I once tried to learn Arabic, but I realised that it was way too hard really, the "alphabets" that must be written in different ways in different positions, the different stress tones, the complexity of the vocabulary was just too confusing for me who had little motivation to actually learn Arabic just to speak an additional language (Hey, S'pore and Dubai are becoming close partners in business nowadays!) and perhaps, to even read the Quran, too. :rockon:
  • edited April 2006
    Yes, the Arabic Quran is beautiful. The English translation isn't so great, and I don't think people would be impressed with the Arabic Quran's beauty by reading the English translation.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Thus I once heard....
    Devout Moslems are of the opinion that the only true Qu'ran is one written in Arabic, as transmitted from Gabriel to Mohammed... and if one were to compare an Arabic version of the Qu'ran, printed three hundred years ago, a modern version would not differ from it one iota... every single sentence, punctuation mark and page number & layout would be just as the older one is... because the Word of Allah is eternal and not to be tampered with.... all other versions are merely interpretations...

Put me right if I heard wrong....!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I love the sound of this stuff.

I've actually used it before goofing around with music.

I hope it isn't sacreligious...

www.claymohr.com/mp3/bassforallah.mp3

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Yes, the Arabic Quran is beautiful. The English translation isn't so great, and I don't think people would be impressed with the Arabic Quran's beauty by reading the English translation.

I am reading the "Noble Qu'ran" translation; indeed it isn't the best. I think a good translation and the separation of some of the culture and language influences on how the Qu'ran is taught and presented would make it a lot easier for Americans to digest. Is there anything in the Qu'ran (or Sunnah?) prohibiting this?