Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shift of Earth's Magnetic Pole closes Tampa runway!!!!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited April 2012 in General Banter

Comments

• Wow, you know the only realy theory I had any amount of faith in with reards to 2012 was the pole shift because that has happened before around 40,000 years ago. I don't know if it is related to this, but there has been more seismic and tectonic activity in the past few years if I am not correct. Nice find Leon :thumbsup:
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I wish they had been just a tad more scientific. I'm assuming what he's talking about is what is called "precession", which is nothing new.
  • edited April 2012
    called "precession", which is nothing new.
    Exactly.

Video wouldn't play for me, but precession is perfectly natural, the North and south pole stars will always change, although slowly.... I believe the current condition is about 4 degrees.

great little page

http://www.crystalinks.com/precession.html

I do remember when my dad first introduced me to amatuer astronomy, he tried to explain this to me, and i couldn't get my head around it, but i was only young. Dad would be proud of my telescope collection now :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^ At first when I saw the "headline" I thought they might be talking about an actual shift of poles.
  • We had it coming.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    There is pole shift, or drift, but there's another phenomenon called geomagnetic reversal, in which magnetic North and South flip. Changes is currents in the southern hemisphere the last couple of decades are showing a pattern typical of the one that precedes such a Pole flip. What isn't known is how long such a pattern takes to develop before the actual event.