Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

transcendental meditation

angulimalaangulimala Veteran
edited May 2006 in General Banter
have anyone heard or attended this kind meditation?what do you think about it?
mettacitena

ps:for brian or fed if this thread seems not belong to this forum pls move it to a more appropriate forum,thank u

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_meditation

http://www.t-m.org.uk/

Have a look at the two above links and see what you think...
    For my part, and in my own opinion, if you start labelling Meditation, and apportioning specific practises and disciplines to give it definition, it stops being Meditation, and it starts being a spiritual discipline in its' own right.

"Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes, I just sits. "

("Anne of the Island" By L. M. Montgomery.
    )
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Everybody has to start somewhere and TM was a way in for many meditators. There are few who stopped there.
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I have a friend who has been practicing TM for many years. According to him, the technique is quite simple and quite powerful. He has benefitted greatly from its practice.

The last time I did any looking into it, there were quite a few shakeups about the assigned "mantra", i.e., depending on your age and sex, new meditators are given a standardized 'sound' with which to meditate, none of which were particularly Vedic.

I suspect that the technique has less to do with the mantra and more to do with the dedication with which the one practicing brings to it. Most TMers meditate 2x per day, AM and PM. Over a long period of time, how could one not feel the benefit of this simple practice?

Peace.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Some people have had bad experiences with teachers of TM

see: Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh

But that's still the person, not the practice.

-bf