Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The "Left Behind" Series

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited May 2006 in General Banter
For anyone having any doubt about their leaving Christianity and going "Buddhist" - here's a wonderful collection of books for you!

-bf

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Want to be notified when the rapture has come? Register at:

http://www.raptureletters.com/

The site is based on a "dead-man switch" concept: if the webmaster is called up to heaven (let's hope he's going!) then the web site will send out emails to you, since he's not there to stop it. If you've received one, then you've been left behind!

I can't wait for my email - oh please please!

::
  • edited May 2006
    I've heard of the series. But I might be slow, but I am alittle unclear as to which way you are referring to it?

Edit : There is a rebirth in a heavenly realm FYI - answer to what it says on the front page of the site linked to above.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I'm referring to it in the manner in which it was written:

If you don't accept Christ as your saviour - you won't be going to Heaven.

There are many people who have had Christianity beaten into them for their entire lives. No matter what they move on to - they always seem to use this as a frame of reference when delving into something new.

Some people have doubts about leaving Christianity even though they are very sick of it. The difficulty being everything they've been taught their entire lives about "eternal damnation" and appeasing a god so they can receive a "heavenly reward".

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    ok, now I understand. You raise some good points in regards to what Christians are taught.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Magwang wrote:
    Want to be notified when the rapture has come? Register at:

http://www.raptureletters.com/

The site is based on a "dead-man switch" concept: if the webmaster is called up to heaven (let's hope he's going!) then the web site will send out emails to you, since he's not there to stop it. If you've received one, then you've been left behind!

I can't wait for my email - oh please please!

::
    What the freak?! :bs:

Anyway, yes, I've read most of the Left Behind series. I started them when I was going to a private, Christian elementary school (because they wouldn't let me read Harry Potter...go figure). They're well-written, and if they were about anything else, I would have loved them. However, I was totally freaked out at the time. Who can blame me?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I'm reading them now. I have not wanted to read them because I thought it was a bunch of fundamentalist crap.

But the stories are well written and interesting. This whole subject captivated me as a youth.

It's still kind of freaky - but it strengthens my beliefs now even more.

Some of the stuff they try to make sound possible really is a stretch...

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    There are many people who have had Christianity beaten into them for their entire lives. No matter what they move on to - they always seem to use this as a frame of reference when delving into something new.

Some people have doubts about leaving Christianity even though they are very sick of it. The difficulty being everything they've been taught their entire lives about "eternal damnation" and appeasing a god so they can receive a "heavenly reward".

-bf

I will say that I had a very big problem finally leaving Christianity behind (well not behind so much as just chalking it up to a past experience). I'm not totally against my catholic upbringing, I do feel that it played a large role in the person that I am today. I'm also thankful for the morals that it taught me. However, it was much easier sometimes I think when I had a problem and I would just say 'I'll put it in God's hands" or "God will look out for me". That was a lot easier than looking to myself for answers. Eventually I think I came to the conclusion that none of it really mattered in this moment and that's all I've got. I don't bash any religion and I think if people find peace in them then that's great. Everyone has to find their own humble way and the best I can do is make mine as wholesome as possible to better the whole.
    -Dawn
  • edited May 2006
    The "conversion" does make those of us that go from Catholocism to Buddhism more "whole" people. It strengthens our character and adds another dimension to our spiritual and mental existence, kind of like adding a third side to a pyramid.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    gregc wrote:
    The "conversion" does make those of us that go from Catholocism to Buddhism more "whole" people. It strengthens our character and adds another dimension to our spiritual and mental existence, kind of like adding a third side to a pyramid.

I will continue to maintain that it is impossible to convert to Buddhism any more than we can convert to the space-time continuum. We can adopt practices and a way of life but the Dharma is there, the subtending and maintaining reality, to be studied and understood.

You can't convert to reality - you can only come to recognise it.

This is why there are so many of us, around the world, whose study and practice are grounded in the Dharma and who mythic structure derives from different spiritual heritages, just as we express ourselves in this or that language.