Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

One more 9/11 life saved

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited May 2006 in Buddhism Today
My morning celebration today has been one of thanksgiving that sanity has prevailed and the state will not be adding yet another avoidable death to the Twin Towers hecatomb.

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me" the hatred of those who do not harbour such thoughts is appeased."
The Dhammapada

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    I think it came as a bit of a surprise all round that the death penalty was rejected in favour of Life Imprisonment... But a look at the man's history may do much to make things clearer....he is a sad and sorry case.

It is also possible that the Jury sought to deprive him of his wish to become a 'Martyr' for Islam... And there are many who believe that Life Imprisonment will be a far worse deal than a quick execution....

I know from personal exprience that it is well worth adding a word of caution at this point:

The Media is also fairly manipulative in what and how it transmits news...Whilst we would all like to believe that news editors and studio bosses want 'the good, hard, honest facts and nothing else' to go out - sadly, that is often far off the mark. No news is good news... sensationalism sells, and we are fed vast amounts of eye-popping stuff every day, that makes us sit up and take notice - but we must understand that amazing as it may all sound, not all of it is Fact.

There is also the question of what information is released, and when....
    There is much furore in the UK about the Home Secretary, Charles Clarke, having inadvertently released thousands of criminals, destined for deportation, back into the community, to offend again. Some of these people are hardened criminals and dangerous men. And some of them have indeed, offended again.
    This all came to light about a week or two ago.

It actually all happened over a year ago.....

So even if I see reports with people actually interviewed, or giving speeches,and being directly quoted, I still say to myself -
    "I don't know all the facts".

And that's the way it will always be.
  • edited May 2006
    I have been following this story, and yes, Zacharias Moussai is a sad and sorry case. The jurors did say that their reason for not giving him the death penalty had nothing to do with it making him a martyr, but I'm not so sure about that. I feel very bad for the families that had to go through and relive the horrible events of 9/11 as they went through this hearing. But maybe it was sort of a healing/closure thing for them. I just hope they can all find some peace soon.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Am I the only person who rejoices that his death will not swell the number who have already died? Preserving Zacarias Moussaoui's life preserves a unique universe and speaks far more effectively to our commitment to law and due process than any sort of barbaric execution. The pain of loss cannot be healed by causing more loss.
  • edited May 2006
    Nope - I am with you on that one. Did my post make it seem like I was not in agreeance with you on that? Anyways...I am! :)
  • edited May 2006
    Simon,

I too am with you in rejoicing at a life saved, no matter who the individual. John Donne put it better than I could:

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee".

Martin.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Hmmm... This reminds me on the controversial thread some months about the death penalty...
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    mmmm and I'm refusing to post, as per your realisation Ajani.
  • edited May 2006
    I must have missed that post about the death penalty....regardless, I am in full agreeance with Simon about how we do not need to add yet another death to 9/11. Whether you agree with the death penalty or not, don't you think enough lives were lost on that day? No matter who the people were?
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2006
    This is one of the few times I'm willing to agree, he should live based on the two main points presented, that he would only be one more death added to tragedy, and his execution would only serve to martyr him in the eyes of other extremist Muslims.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Wouldn't all the deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan also be considered the result of 9/11?
    ::
    edited May 2006
    Magwang wrote:
    Wouldn't all the deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan also be considered the result of 9/11?
    ::

No, Magwang. That is like the boy in school who, holding onto a pigtail, claims that he is not pulling the other person's hair, "only holding it".

Prior to invasion, the deaths in those two suffering regions were down to the Taliban and the Ba'ath Party. Since the bombings and the invasions, it is the Coalition who are now responsible.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I didn't say who is responsible, only that the effects of 9/11 are on-going. And 9/11 is the effect of tyrrany and colonialism. Which are the effects of greed. Which is the effect of attachment....and on and on.
    edited May 2006
    Magwang wrote:
    I didn't say who is responsible, only that the effects of 9/11 are on-going. And 9/11 is the effect of tyrrany and colonialism. Which are the effects of greed. Which is the effect of attachment....and on and on.

Indeed you are right, Magwang. And it is in the understanding of history that we begin to see the long roots of any conflict:

For example:
    * In the North of Ireland, the 1688 Battle of the Boyne is still celebrated, despite being about sectarianism that carried on reaping death up to our own day. But we cannot stop there; we also have to remember Cromwell's actions at Drogheda and Essex's massacres for Elizabeth I. Long roots.

* 9/11 and 7/7 are, themselves, results. Results, perhaps, of the stationing of non-Muslim soldiers on the holy ground of Saudi. Results of the Sykes-Picot Accord of 1916. Results of gratuitous invasion by Frankish knights a thousand years ago.

As we understand and identify the roots, we can find solutions and common ground. The study of history, when well taught, leads to tolerance and understanding, as well as a sense of our own flawed inheritance. Not surprising that totalitarian and imperialist regimes attempt to contain, direct and emasculate its teaching in our schools.