Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quiz Time - Hurraaaaaaah!

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited May 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hi gang!

Not sent me over some ideas for our weekly Quiz Time feature here at NewBuddhist.com.

You know! The quiz we do WHERE NOBODY ON THIS DAMN SITE IS ABLE TO TELL WHAT DAY IT IS!?!?!?!?!?

So... being that our chapters on the Dhammapada this week dealt with "Evil" - here's our next question. This one is for $0.25 and a brand new Toyyoda!

Ready???

What are the three poisons referred to in Buddhist teaching?

Any ideas!!?!?! And!... when was the last time you gave into one of them? Boxes of Ding Dongs (or your favorite sinful snack) counts!

As usual... everyone can answer whenever the hell they feel like it!

Yea!

-bf

P.S. Extra credit can include the The Evil Paths...

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    The three poisons are:

Desire - Rooster.

Hatred - Snake

Ignorance - Pig

I claim my prize and would love any car, as long as it's red, and already belongs to our quizmaster.

I thank you.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Oh Freddie dear...

I'm so sorry you can't read. The prize was 25 cents and a ToyYoda.

Where would you like this sent, dear-heart?

-bf

P.S. You talked me into keeping it and it's really nice with the top off in this wonderfully sunny weather!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Could you send it to my St Moritz address where I berth my yacht? I'll give it to the filippino housemaid to use on sundays....

I too actually have a convertible peugeot 205, and you're right, it's great when the sun shines...Unfortunately, the car would have difficulty keeping up with a three-legged 25-year old horse, even with a following wind.....

Dammit.
  • edited May 2006
    ToyYoda - is that me??

Federica, you are such a "Teacher's Pet". Stop beating us to the answers!
    edited May 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    ToyYoda - is that me??

I was going to try to find that picture where you put your head on Fat Bastard's body... but I'm just too damn lazy today.

-bf
    edited May 2006
    Alas... I've strayed from the topic again.

Anyone can feel free to add more to this quiz regarding The Three Poisons. Don't forget about the extra credit too!

Expound on them if you wish - it's food for thought for all of us newbies!

-bf
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    The three poisons are:

Desire - Rooster.

Hatred - Snake

Ignorance - Pig

I claim my prize and would love any car, as long as it's red, and already belongs to our quizmaster.

I thank you.

In reference to this I found the following:
    Greed, hatred and delusion

Traditionally in Buddhist symbolism the pig represents ignorance or delusion; the snake represents hatred; and the rooster or cock represents greed. Tibetan thangkas depicting the wheel of life have these three animals in the center circle. Greed (lobha), hatred (dosa) and delusion (moha) are seen to be the roots of unwholesome kamma/karma. They are also known as 'the three fires' and 'the three poisons'. These metaphors suggest how virulent and entrenched these three factors are in the personality of each individual. A moment's introspection will show us how deep-rooted greed can be, even in the most trivial instances - one biscuit more, even though you're full, for example. Of course, it can manifest itself more compulsively and more destructively - wanting bigger and better all the time; wanting someone else's possessions, partner, land! It can manifest itself in international disputes over territory and resources, resulting in conflict and warfare. Similarly, we can have feelings of ill-will because someone irritates us for whatever reason; but ill-will can transform itself into hatred of people, races, nations. Delusion, perhaps the basis for the other two, is a state of not-knowing, not-seeing. If we could see clearly, we would know that greed and hatred are harmful both to ourselves and others. What brings harm to ourselves and others is unwholesome and leads to suffering in the future.
    http://buddhism.about.com/library/weekly/aa090402a.htm

I'll post more on this subject a little while later.

_/\_
    metta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Any ideas!!?!?! And!... when was the last time you gave into one of them? Boxes of Ding Dongs (or your favorite sinful snack) counts!

Yesterday. Chocolate orgy. I have a chocolate hangover and I'm full of remorse. It's just that I went into town for the first time in ages and found one (well, more than one, really) of my favourite chocolate bars at the store, the ever elusive "100 Grand". Chewy caramel, small rice crispies covered in milk chocolate. I'm so ashamed. My greed knew no bounds. It was terrible. Luckily they were out of "Turtles".

I'm in a confessional mood these days, aren't I?

Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    television, a week ago, I am trying to rot my brain slowly ignorance

fast food, yesterday, my car is trained to turn into Taco Bell parking lots desire

American (usa) beer, months ago..only when i cannot get real beer which is not a poison hatred

oops forgot the when
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Desire - Rooster.

Hatred - Snake

Ignorance - Pig

No, no no. these are the preindustrial metaphors.

Desire - Mo

Hatred - Curly

Ignorance - Larry
    edited May 2006
    Anyone going for extra credit on what the "Three Evil Paths" are?

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Anyone going for extra credit on what the "Three Evil Paths" are?

-bf

The M25 (London Orbital)

L'Autoroute du Sud (France)

Highway 61 (no matter how often revisited)
    edited May 2006
    Ha ha!

I don't even know where the hell these streets/roads are, but I can totally relate. :)

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Quoted from some place on the web :)

The worlds of hell, hungry spirits, and animals are called the three evil paths,
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Huh. I thought the three evil paths were George W., Dick Cheney and Tony Blair!

Palzang
  • edited May 2006
    Palzang, I agree with you completely. Definitely about the first two people that you mentioned in your post!

I know this is off topic...but did you hear what George W. said recently? Someone asked him what he thought his shining moment was as the President, and he replied with something like "Catching a large mouth bass one day when I was fishing".

That about sums it up, doesn't it??
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I know this is off topic...but did you hear what George W. said recently? Someone asked him what he thought his shining moment was as the President, and he replied with something like "Catching a large mouth bass one day when I was fishing".

The sad part is that that is probably a lie too!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LOL!!!!
  • edited May 2006
    i'm british,.. but my fave george moment is when he tried to get away from the press by walking into a locked door and trying to open it.. only then to come back to the stand completely embaressed looking like a little kid..

as 4 tony.. well hes intelligent but hes a former lawyer.. so i wouldn't trust what he says any day of the week.. he ain't thick.. he just does nothing
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    That's one of the George episodes I use when trying to arouse lovingkindness for him. The more I do it the better it works.