Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the jerk before me

angulimalaangulimala Veteran
edited July 2005 in Faith & Religion
hi everyone,

a friend told me once that the concept of reincarnation is not fair.he said if our present life now is made by our previous deeds/karma,but we have no recollection of our previous lives,so it isnt fair if we suffer now because of what the jerks did in the previous lives,while we have no recollection of what we have done before in our previous life.so what's your comment on this matter

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Well, The Dalai Lama puts it this way:
    It doesn't matter what you did in previous lives, that may be what has brought you here today: the fact that you've made it here as a human being, means you have a good opportunity now, to set whatever record straight. He goes on to say that he often doesn't remember what he did last week, let alone last lifetime! Concentrate on the here & now; If you want to know what you were before, just look at the state and health of your body, NOW; if you want to know what you will become, take a look at the state and health of your Mind, NOW.....

How's that for starters.....? :)
  • edited May 2005
    I don't believe in reincarnation, but it makes sense that if you came back you would still be affected by the karma you created in a past life since your karma affects the world. If you come back into the world, you will feel the karma. It's as fair or unfair as having to deal with the consequences of your actions in this life.

I don't know about the idea of coming back as a worm or something as some sort of imposed punishment. Again, I don't believe in reincarnation in the general sense, and I especially don't believe in this type. It still seems more fair than being damned for eternity for the actions of one lifdetime or even one moment. At least the worm gets a second chance.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Having said all this, there is a distinction between 'Re-Birth' and 'Reincarnation'.... The two are quite different.....Buddhism speaks of the first, not the second.... ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I've read that reincarnation is something Buddhist believe in - well, some Buddhist.

I've also read that person "can" strive for Nirvana - I believe that is the context. And that karma works like:

I should strive towards enlightenment and nirvana. If I do things that produce bad karma - it is going to make my journey longer. If I strive towards good - it will make my journey shorter.

So... let's say that two people basically have 1 lifetime left before reaching Nirvana. But, one person ends up killing someone in anger and it adds 5 lifetimes towards them reaching Nirvana. The person that didn't kill anyone will/could reach Nirvana and end their cycle of rebirth. The person that killed someone, will have 5 lifes added onto their "rebirth credits" and have to live out those lives doing good and striving towards Nirvana.

I think in India the whole mentality is to "stop" the rebirth cycle. Where as with Westerners, we like the idea of coming back somehow. Odd.

I know this is an odd way to explain it. In fact, it sounds kind of like a video game - but I was trying for the easy explanation of what I read.

Michael
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I myself could care less about Nirvana.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

I know this is an odd way to explain it. In fact, it sounds kind of like a video game - but I was trying for the easy explanation of what I read.

Michael
    Like respawning? :lol:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Exactly!

I like your way of thinking. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to start being more peaceful - so goodbye to QUAD DAMAGE.

Michael
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Our Western belief in rebirth is to be found in our studies of DNA. Is it "fair" that a child is born with a birth defect? Is anyone born with "perfect" DNA?

This is as useful a subject for meditation as the notion of the Wheel of Rebirth.

The comment by Buddhafoot about the difference between Western and Eastern approaches is significant. It centres on the notion of individual value and has historico-social roots. Sometime around 3000 years ago, the West began to develop the myth of the individual. The East, however, did not adopt this new idea. Spend time with the history of Afghanistan and we can see this split occurring.

It is this cult of the individual which makes it so hard for many Westerners to let go of the idea that their name and personality have absolute (or, even, relative) value. aaaas my father used to say: "Our cemeteries are full of people who thought they were indispensible."

Fair and Unfair are categories which can only be imposed on life if we hallucinate, IMHO.