Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If someone 'did' attain Enlightenment in life. Would he still Meditate or would he Not need to now?

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited April 2012 in Meditation
If the ultimate goal when meditating is to achieve complete understanding and Enlightenment, and they 'did' achieve it, would that mean they wouldnt benifit from meditating anymore? Or would they still meditate?

(For example; 'Would Buddha have still meditated even 'after' his Enlightenment?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes.
    Because an unenlightened mind, is clouded by illusion.
    An enlightened mind has no such obscurations, but as with any muscle, you have to keep it toned.
    Meditation prevents distractions, and focuses to a pinpoint-sharp intensity, the understanding and acceptance of suffering, and the refinement and activation of compassion.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Yes. The Buddha continues meditating after awakening for two reasons which he states:

1) Meditation leads to pleasant abiding (jhanas, nirodha samapatti, etc)
    2) To serve as a good example for his students.
  • I don't think you need to if you can see reality as it is. But u can still do it.

But we need to as we are still keep trying to have clarity about the object of our meditation.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Yes. The Buddha continues meditating after awakening for two reasons which he states:
    Humph! I thought I could stop meditating once I got enlightened... :D
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I would say yes because I believe those who are enlightened (I prefer the term "awakened" myself) are in a constant state of meditation. If they sit and there is no discussion, I'd imagine they are naturally doing sitting meditation.
  • so it's more of a fun factor then :)
  • Meditation is not a "practice" the Buddha followed after enlightenment. That was his natural state of being.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

....but as with any muscle, you have to keep it toned.
    Not sure this sits balanced with me... once reality is realised, there is nothing more to realise - an analogy that works better is a jigsaw puzzle - all the pieces are there and it's a matter of sorting them in the right place to see the image - once the image is seen then there is no more 'toning' required... just the amusing realisation that the picture was on the front of the box all along...

@xabir - interesting point suggesting that it is no longer necessary after enlightenment but that it has some positives none the less.

Would one be meditating all the time? Perhaps - or perhaps the differences between living moment by moment and meditating in the moment dissolve to leave only one way of life...
  • Meditation is not a "practice" the Buddha followed after enlightenment. That was his natural state of being.
    sounds logical to me

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @Zero :

The Buddha is constantly mindful and aware and equanimous in the midst of his worldly affairs, teaching, etc.

However he only enters into sublime states of samadhis (jhanas, nirodha samapatti, and so on) when in sitting meditation. He does this regularly.

It is a bit like exercising - even if you become fit, you should not stop exercising regularly. So even when you awaken, despite the fact that awakening cannot be lost, you should not stop meditating as it obviously has its own benefits.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Zero :

The Buddha is constantly mindful and aware and equanimous in the midst of his worldly affairs, teaching, etc.

However he only enters into sublime states of samadhis (jhanas, nirodha samapatti, and so on) when in sitting meditation. He does this regularly.
    Past tense, you mean, I gather.
    the man is after all, dead now...... :)

• LOL
  • Well, if you are speaking about the vehicle he used, yes. But because we all have Buddha nature, it could be said that he is still alive, as it could be said that as long as the teachings are alive, so is the Buddha.

I realize the reality of impermanence and that all that lives must eventually die. But still, for me, there is something comforting about hearing the words in the present tense - as if to say "I'm still here." I like to think he's still here, in some sense : )

Many Blessings,

KwanKev
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @Zero :

For some reason I always distinguish between "Buddha" and "The Buddha". I don't know why but I equate "The Buddha" with our Buddha nature realised and "Buddha" with the historical Buddha (What Siddhartha woke up to).

I think years ago I read an interpretation of the teachings of the three bodies and it stuck that way somehow. It makes it so I really have to pay attention to detail and I'm not even sure if I have it right. I've read about the three bodies TNH style and I think I understand but at the same time I may be messing it up.

@Kwantum_Kev, Buddha nature is not the same, or equatable with, Buddha.

'Buddha nature', is potential.
    'Buddha' is realised.

Therefore, we cannot consider Buddha Nature to be Buddha - because Buddha was realised, we're not.
    so we NEED to meditate - because we are not enlightened.

• but...
    what if we all are..?
    We only just don't know it yet?
    That's the same as 'Buddha Nature'...... :rolleyes:
  • When asked of a Monk; What did you do before enlightenment? Chopped wood, carried water. What are you doing after enlightenment? Chop wood, carry water. Just because you are enlightened doesn't mean you will be or do anything different...
    Just because you are enlightened doesn't mean you will be or do anything different...
    So why bother practising if nothing changes?
  • Just because you are enlightened doesn't mean you will be or do anything different...
    That's a question you need to ask yourself...
    Just because you are enlightened doesn't mean you will be or do anything different...
    That's a question you need to ask yourself...
    Yeah, I sometimes do... :D
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2012
    When asked of a Monk; What did you do before enlightenment? Chopped wood, carried water. What are you doing after enlightenment? Chop wood, carry water. Just because you are enlightened doesn't mean you will be or do anything different...
    You will continue to do all the mundane things.

But you will also stop doing many things:

…"And any monk who is an Arahant, whose corruptions are destroyed, who has lived the life, done what has to be done, laid down the burden, gained the true goal, who has completely destroyed the fetter of becoming, and is liberated by supreme insight, is incapable of doing nine things: he is incapable of (1) deliberately taking the life of a living being; (2) taking what is not given so as to constitute theft; (3) sexual intercourse; (4) telling a deliberate lie; (5) storing up goods for sensual indulgence as he did formerly in the household life; (6) acting wrongly through attachment; (7) acting wrongly through hatred; (8) acting wrongly through folly; (9) acting wrongly through fear. These are the nine things which an Arahant, whose corruptions are destroyed, cannot do …" (~ Buddha)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2012

The effect of reading suttas/sutras... feels like him talking to you in person ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I've heard that yes they meditate, but it is only to set an example. I can't remember the sources but I have heard it in more than one place.

I've also specifically heard my lama in a e-mail contact with a student who had pretty much overcome the difficulty in their life. Imagine that. And the person asked if it was ok that they did not meditate any more. Lama Shenpen I believe said yes they should I can't remember the rationale.