Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Confused, from France

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    If your computer's about to crash, and I'm not saying it is, but if the machine's so messed up it crashes, you'll have to reformat and you'll lose everything you have saved on it. When you reformat you have to reinstall Windows and it goes back to the factory settings just like when you first got it.

There are ways around this but it takes a pro. I have no idea what state your computer is in, though. It's just a good idea to save anything important on CD. I can't tell you how to back up anything because one of my quirks is that I purposely don't do it. It's my little exercise in impermanence and letting go. I've lost everything twice. But then again there's nothing important on my computer that I can't lose. All my Bookmarks are saved online on My Yahoo! and all the email stuff is stored on the ISP's servers so you don't lose any of that. If you decide to back up your stuff go to Kim Komando. She explains the process really well.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    You're attitude is very helpful. Thank goodness for the dharma. lol!

You could always spend the next few days printing out everything really important. That would be great practice in patience.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Hi BF maybe you can assist me, my computer runs slow as well!

It seems that the time between one-fingered typing is increasing as my fatigue steps in.

P.S. I'm writing this slowly, because I know you can't read fast.:poke:

Concerned Computer Illiterate.:crazy:

Well, being that I'm surrounded by computers in my day to day work - I've noticed that when systems that are a little older start running really, really slow - possibly just shutting down sometimes for now reason - indicates that the processor fan might be burned out and the CPU is just getting too hot. System starts running slower and slower - more issues - more hiccups.

Just tear the cover off of your box and see if the fan on your CPU is spinning.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, but what about Fede's problems?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    I have further been advised to remove AOL from my automatic start-up list, (which I have done) and to remove all spyware except those used regularly (AVG, Zone-alarm) and to download the others only as and when I really need to use them - is this good advice - ?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I can't say, Freddie.

Being that I don't use AHOLE - I can't say what is and what is not safe to remove. I'm sure AHOLE has an installation process that puts things in the place they need to be for use of the application for connecting to the Internet.

To just start blindly removing AHOLE stuff from your computer might render it incapable of connecting to the internet without reinstalling it.

-bf

BTW, who is telling you to remove the application you use to connect to the Internet? Do they know you use AHOLE?
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Federica
    when did this problem start ?
    when was the last time computer ran ok ?
    if quite recently ,then you can use "system restore" as you are using windows XP.

(good news)this is a simple automatic way.
    (bad news)there is a catch of course.
    windows can restore to an earlier time when things were running ok,but you pick the date.
    but you will loose any programs pics files you have installed since.
    If its spyware or trogan,there could be files in registery which wont shift
    so you could still have problem,but good news is that you can still re-restore to what you have now.
    system restore sets a date that you can restore to.it does this when you install new hardware or programs.

Go to start menu/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.
    a box appears with a tick in "restore my computer to an earlier date."
    tick "next" and a calendar appears with restore dates.
    you pick one from an earlier date when you remember computer was running ok.
    you dont get every day/date.just the dates windows sets a restore point
    so you pick the most worthy
    windows will ask you the hype about are you really really sure and all that stuff
    but just follow the instructions and windows will do it.
    then it will even restart for you.
    the benefit of this system restore,is, that if it doesnt fix problem then just restore again to present date.
    remeber that you will loose programs etc which were installed between these dates.

all the best