Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

creativity abounds lately!

AMHAMH
edited May 2012 in Arts & Writings
I was thinking last night before I fell asleep how many creative pursuits we have in our lives right now, and for me that can be related to spirituality. I will get to that in a minute.

Friday night was the art show/open house for the programs I work with. We have almost 50 schools in before and after school programming. The kids had art and the staff as well, you could buy staff art if you liked. Too bad I didn't have money for this one peice. It was at a place that takes recycled materials from businesses and makes them available to teachers, scout leader, etc. for a very low price. So they had graffiti artists works, a craft station for kids, and my son with a classmate performed. They thought they would only have 30 minutes but they easily played an hour and that was only because the other kid needed to leave. They have been asked to play one more event for my program.

Then Sunday was the open mic night. I read both peices I had, wasn't sure if I could read the more emotional one but a humorous person was up before me. Even though I told the audience it was fictional so they didn't need to give me condolences (the peice is about after someone died) I still had a couple people trying to offer me support. I think it is a good sign that I can be such a good 'emotional liar' as writers are.

Last night was the final guitar concert for my son, whew, so very awesome and talented people but it ended up being almost 3 hours. They played all different peices from Vivaldi and other classical composers, the Pokemon theme, and Primus (harder rock). There were some student composed peices and a senior who told very bad jokes between acts (I actually passed him a note with a horrible joke to help)

Okay so after a depressive episode there is a distinct pattern of recovery. I can recognize it well by now, and actually since medication takes the edge off it helps the whole process (does not ever totally erase). I was in the concert and reflecting on the last few days. It seems that each moment can have many elements that come from memory and affect experience. So I am in the here and now at a concert and I have a combination of a room temperature and an unusual moment of moisture from the dry ice, along with the feel of my sweatshirt. From that comes an emotion that is partially here and now but also a memory of growing up in an area of more moisture and the chill at night on the beach with the light spray of water and wearing a sweatshirt like we would have. The emotional quality has some peace of childhood with budding maturity, the age I was before we moved. All of the was complete in this moment within a moment, the feel, the emotion, the physical, and the difference in this experience because it is not now.

Why is it spiritual? Because rather than being lost in missing that moment or craving a new one like it we have the option of simply observing the moment and all the elements that are part of now and part of the memory. In my case not only does that keep me from attachment to past and now (and future if you live with constant deja vu) but capturing that when I write can produce some quality work.