Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dream Interpretation

edited June 2006 in General Banter
I hope somone here is better at this than I am, but I did some research into what exactly is meant by a dream I had last night, but I don't find anything that applies to me. The exact details are a bit fuzzy (the why part), but I was with a girl from high school that I found attractive and that I was on positive terms with. In my dream, I met her in a college-like atmosphere, and spoke with her about something. I was holding 3 papers in my hand, from what I remember, I felt like I had to speak in front of a large group of people. I must have had a respectable position because she offered to drive me when I asked. I was in the passenger seat of a silver 2 door car. We drove to a parking lot where we ordered some fast food and I sat with her talking. After that, I was picked up by one of her friends, who drove me to the event I was supposed to be at. [this is where I lost some details] On the way back, I met her at her home, (she was still single - I remember that) we were talking when I brought up the idea of getting back together. I started to make seemingly random comments, but she interpreted them in a manner suggesting that we still had come chemistry between each other. When things started rolling, I got up and started to leave her home....

That is where a sick person (who I tended to) came home from work, disarmed the alarm, then the dog started barking at about the same time my alarm went off. Shame because we got along quite well and I have some fond memories of her (but don't know where she is know, nor her full name). Things probably wouldn't have worked out anyway because she was Turkish and some of my family members would have looked down at me. I would appreciate anyone who could interpret that for me, or give me any advice, I am starting to consider dating Turkish females again since I had 2 female Turkish friends in school.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Hmmmm...

Can't help you with this one, my friend.

-bf
  • MichelleMichelle Explorer
    edited May 2006
    Hi Greg,

Can you remember any particular part of the dream that may have stood out more than the rest?

When interpreting dreams - it's sometimes easiest to dissect it into sections.

For example - did the papers seem more important than the car?

I'll be happy to help you out if I can.

Namaste,

Michelle
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    First of all, why do you want some stranger to interpret the visions that arose from your unconscious mind, Gregc?

Secondly, do you want a Jungian, Freudian or mystical interpretation?
    edited May 2006
    He will merely receive an 'intuitive' response from me.

Namaste,
    Michelle
  • edited May 2006
    Does the dream have meaning....or should you be looking at why you are searching for meaning?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Poor Michelle...She's only trying to help.... And she is after all, only answering a question....

I don't think Simon was specifically refering directly to you, Michelle.... I think he would be referring to any 'stranger'....

(And you don't get much stranger than me....:grin: )

For my part, I find my dreams are mental manifestations and 'extensions' of something that has occurred, either that day, or recently...It's just my mind taking several bits of absorbed information, and creating a scenario for me to think about....If I remember them (which is rare) I do occasionally wonder 'what was that all about?' but more often than not, I have no recollection.....

But I don't really pay them any attention.... I have more than enough to contend with, in my waking hours - !!
  • edited May 2006
    Michelle - the girl really stood out because I kept thinking in my mind (inside my dream) of her name, but I was unclear whether or not it was her, and there were 2, her and her friend. The papers seemed linked to a highly respectful job, one where others look up to you as perhaps a teacher or mentor. The car was what she said she got for Christmas from her parents, but I never saw it, so I don't know the exact colour. I do remember that last conversation in the dream, we started to become good friends (again) before it was ended.

Simon - I don't any dream interpreters off the top of my head :D I researched it on the internet, but I'm hoping to get an answer from a person rather than a dictionary. I don't really care which one (Freudian analysis I can't relate any trigger words to) so whichever you feel would be a more "realistic" explanation. I can kind of run with trigger words, but the events they reveal have never occured in my life, nor is it possible for me to forsee them happening any time soon.

Edit : forgot to mention this, but when I went out into the world today, I felt like a brand new person (probably because of a break from my hectic schedule), but I guess I could attribute it to a chillout session and in a form, meditation.
    edited May 2006
    Jungian analysis would suggest that this is an encounter with your anima, the Feminine Archetype. You may have issues/questions/actions or unfinished business with the 'feminine' in your life, either (or both) internally or externally. The 'Turkish' aspect may simply be memory being used or Turkishness may have other resonances for you.

For example, for me - and this is entirely personal - Turkey represents a whole panoply of meanings, including (in the context of an Anima dream) the fact that Anatolia means "the Country of the Mother" and contains the ruins of the great Temple of Artemis at Ephesus.
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks Simon! If it's not too much trouble, can I get some info on the mystical version? I did some research into the Freudian version and it just freaked me out. Not the type of feeling I had for her, it was much more respectful.
    edited May 2006
    Dear dreaming Gregc,

One of the ways in which I access the 'mystical' in my dreams is to re-dream in conscious reflection. I imagine the dream as a doorway to my connection with the Mystery, particularly through the 'Jungian' archetypes. Any dream that includes something opposite to what I am is useful:
    e.g. I am male and the dream is about a female. I am from one culture and the dream figure is about another.

As I untangle what I can remember of the dream, I begin to view the dream from the point of view of each of the elements that I remember. For example, I have a dream in which I swim in warm water with friendly but unknown people. In reflection, I was not only 'me' but also the water, the warmth, the unknown people. I do this because I suspect that nothing appears in dreams from 'outside' but arises from my own mind, from the dark corners that I do not usually see. There is a 'quadrant' in the Johari Window which is described as 'blind'. Some of our dreams reveal aspects of this blind quadrant. (If you haven't come across the Johari Window, here is a link to one of many websites:
    Johari Window

There is a useful essay in a wonderful anthology of poetry called The Rag And Bone Shop Of The Heart (which I can't recommend too highly), in which the point is made that we access the 'mystical' through the uncomfortable places. In daily life, we are more or less polite, more or less well-behaved, more or less social. Without this First Level, society would not function nor would we within it. The Second Level is where the uncomfortable and unacceptable emotions roil and curl. And the door to the Third Level which is beyond the personal is found within that Second Level - but keeps moving. This means that we may have found the way there in one or other particular way (rite, ritual, meditation, dance, music, etc.) but the door may no longer be there when we go back to find it. Dreams can help show us the way into the pain and, beyond it, to the hidden state of balance, equanimity and compassion.

The only useful approach to dreams is to examine them until an understanding goes "ping!" for you.

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LOL!!!

Sorry.

But that was a wonderful post, Greg! (The one about Freud freaking you out.)

The feeling you had when you woke up and whatever residue from it you experienced throughout the day will point you to where you want to look in your dream for meaning.
    Do you know what I mean?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Sorry, Simon. Didn't see you there. I was responding to Greg's last post. We posted at the same time.
    edited May 2006
    Jah....

I zink you are hatink your Fazzah und vont to be sleepink vith your Muzzah...

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Simon - thanks again for the help, the link you provided me is bringing back some of the things I learned in sociology (abour Freud, a bit about Jung, and the Johari window). I enjoyed reading the material.

Brigid - I am thinking this dream tried to place me back into my "enjoyable" years of life, back when everything was great, when I alot of friends (I was pretty social in my 3rd and 4th year in High school). Seeing her might have rekindled the thing I had for certain cultures from that side of the world (mainly Indian, Turkish, and Lebanese). I did feel "empty" the last time I was in Poland, I felt a whole with the absence of a significant female in my life and that downed me pretty much. I have a feeling that it may occur though because these types of dreams usually do bear significance in real life for me.

bf - :lol::lol:
    edited May 2006
    Hi Greg,

I would prefer to reply via PM. Nothing bad, nothing negative - I'm simply not comfortable posting a 'metaphysical' reply here.

If that's okay , please PM me.

Namaste,
    Michelle
    edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    Poor Michelle...She's only trying to help.... And she is after all, only answering a question....

I don't think Simon was specifically refering directly to you, Michelle.... I think he would be referring to any 'stranger'....

(And you don't get much stranger than me....:grin: )

For my part, I find my dreams are mental manifestations and 'extensions' of something that has occurred, either that day, or recently...It's just my mind taking several bits of absorbed information, and creating a scenario for me to think about....If I remember them (which is rare) I do occasionally wonder 'what was that all about?' but more often than not, I have no recollection.....

But I don't really pay them any attention.... I have more than enough to contend with, in my waking hours - !!

Thank you, Fede.

As a general rule I don't analyze my own dreams either. Usually don't remember them. Although I can discuss some wicked night sweats with you :).

Namaste,
    Michelle
    edited May 2006
    I just remembered a dream I had last night!

I was looking at a school bus and noticing an engine heater they had installed under it. I took it off and noticed it was filled with gunk.

What the hell does THAT mean!?!?!?!

-bf
    edited May 2006
    Oh yeah.. Michelle...

You have to share your interpretation of Gregc's dream.

I wanna know how freaky he is.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Last night my dead cat visited me. I was sitting in a chair at the table, and she sat down in front of me. I said, 'Now where have you been?'

It was a lovely moment....even if it was a dream. At times, I don't know when dream ends...
    edited May 2006
    Harlan...

This is what I gleamed from your dream:

The dead cat equates to a cat that you once had. Sadly, that cat died. But in your dream, she came back and sat down in front of you and spoke in the English language.

As lovely as it was... it is my professional opinion that you are f#*ked up.

-bf
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Jah....

I zink you are hatink your Fazzah und vont to be sleepink vith your Muzzah...

-bf

Your Viennese accent is so wonderful, bf! I can almost hear the zithers.

It being Papa Freud's 150th anniversary party this weekend, and having just re-read Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being (or The Intolerable Burden of Action as we called it in the book group), I can say that he got it wrong!

Oedipus had neither of those desires. He did not know what he was doing or who these people were. He was entirely innocent of any evil intent. Despite that, on discovering what he had done, he blinded himself. Freud ascribed parricidal and incestuous desires to Oedipus, whereas the story is about action in conflict with intent.

This may not be all that old Sigmund got wrong.
  • edited May 2006
    Why...thank you. :grin:

Just call me 'Abi Normal.'
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Harlan...

This is what I gleamed from your dream:

The dead cat equates to a cat that you once had. Sadly, that cat died. But in your dream, she came back and sat down in front of you and spoke in the English language.

As lovely as it was... it is my professional opinion that you are f#*ked up.

-bf
    edited May 2006
    Obviously the validity of dream interpretation is up for debate . I would never say that all dreams are important or have significant meaning.

But I will say that a dream my husband had gave me reason to pause and look deeper into dream meanings.

My husband kept dreaming that something/someone was punching him in the chest. The dream was so vivid that he would wake and could point to the place on his chest that he was struck.

I gave him all kinds of ridiculous meanings- none of which he accepted. My theory was his heart chakra was blocked.

After this dream had occured off and on for about 2 weeks, he called me from work one day and said I would never believe what he had just been told. He's a police officer and he had just received a call telling him his bullet proof vest needed to be replaced. That the chest plate (that covers the heart area) was defective.

Is dream interpretation valid - I don't know. But I know that dream meant something.

Love,Light,Blessings,
    Michelle
    edited May 2006
    Yes... master...

-bf
    edited May 2006
    Very interesting, Michelle.

Dream interpretation doesn't really impact me one way or the other. That's why I'm probably a little more "comic" about it than I should be.

But, that certainly doesn't mean that I discount it. There are people who do place a great deal of importance on it - and it seems to work for them - and I'm all for that. :)

-bf
    edited May 2006

Your Viennese accent is so wonderful, bf! I can almost hear the zithers.

It being Papa Freud's 150th anniversary party this weekend, and having just re-read Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being (or The Intolerable Burden of Action as we called it in the book group), I can say that he got it wrong!

Oedipus had neither of those desires. He did not know what he was doing or who these people were. He was entirely innocent of any evil intent. Despite that, on discovering what he had done, he blinded himself. Freud ascribed parricidal and incestuous desires to Oedipus, whereas the story is about action in conflict with intent.

This may not be all that old Sigmund got wrong.

Like I've said before regarding Sigmund....

Sometimes a hot dog is just a hot dog.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Like I've said before regarding Sigmund....

Sometimes a hot dog is just a hot dog.

-bf

Really? :wtf: So I take it Siggy wasn't married?
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Very interesting, Michelle.

Dream interpretation doesn't really impact me one way or the other. That's why I'm probably a little more "comic" about it than I should be.

But, that certainly doesn't mean that I discount it. There are people who do place a great deal of importance on it - and it seems to work for them - and I'm all for that. :)

-bf

Yes, it was very interesting - odd- but interesting.

I don't think you are more comic than you should be about it at all !

You impress me as someone who would never offend/hurt someone intentionally. (I feel) that what you say is said tongue in cheek and not meant to be rude . I stated in another thread that I truly enjoy your sense of humor, and I do.

Keep being who you are - the world needs more laughter & smiles.

Namaste,
    Michelle
  • edited May 2006
    Even the Dalai Lama says that 'dreams are just dreams'. However, if you're going to try to interprete them you might want to consider what paradigm you are using. Screw Freud ;). I'm going with the Tibetian Buddhist paradigm:

3 types of dreams
    -samsaric
    -clarity
    -natural light

Being wholistic beings, I believe in the mind/body connection...so doing good things and having good thoughts and having a spiritual practice will naturally move one from one level of dreaming to another. I think we all have dreams of clarity at various points in our lives. Like swimming in the great pool of the subconscious...usually one is just free-floating during sleep. At times, the dream with attain a 'quality'...clarity. You 'know' it is important. You may even be aware that you are dreaming. Some of these can be life-altering. Dreams of 'natural light' I will skip describing for now, but the quality of awareness is what I think is key for a spiritual aspirant.

Dreaming, like 'being awake', is understood differently depending on context and culture. My understanding, one that makes sense to my western mind, is that dreaming is part of a continuum of consciousness. If we are interested in examining perception, reality, exploring consciousness in all it's aspects...then examination of the dreaming state is part of that exploration.

(This is my understanding...feel free to ignore it.)

Most dreams are a mix of the days events, and the symbols/events stored in our memory. It is as if the subconcious is 'playing' by taking normally disparate events and juxtaposing in order to create new relationships...new insights. Buddhists label these types of dreams as part of 'samsara'. The same 'samsara'/ignorance that we exist in while 'awake' in the normal sense.

Then, there are dreams of 'clarity'. These are the ones that stand out. The 'special' ones. Again, they are on a continuum. Some lesser...dreams of seeing one's self die, meeting others or traveling places. Some greater...life-altering. Dreams of clarity become more clear, take on attributes as one evolves.

Dreams have significance in every culture, but I think that 'interpretation' is best left to the individual. That being said, cross-culturally, certain dreams, seem to occur that have significance as 'signposts' in one's personal development. Dreams of death are significant in every culture as a representation of change in the individual.
    edited May 2006
    I know there have been moments in the past, where I have wrestled in my sleep - not sleeping very deeply and then DING!

I awake with the solution to a coding problem that I have been dealing with at work.

That's odd.

When I used to code a lot, I used to keep a pen and paper by my bed. I also use some waking moments from dreams for lyrics.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    harlan wrote:
    Even the Dalai Lama says that 'dreams are just dreams'. However, if you're going to try to interprete them you might want to consider what paradigm you are using. Screw Freud ;). I'm going with the Tibetian Buddhist paradigm:

3 types of dreams
    -samsaric
    -clarity
    -natural light

Being wholistic beings, I believe in the mind/body connection...so doing good things and having good thoughts and having a spiritual practice will naturally move one from one level of dreaming to another. I think we all have dreams of clarity at various points in our lives. Like swimming in the great pool of the subconscious...usually one is just free-floating during sleep. At times, the dream with attain a 'quality'...clarity. You 'know' it is important. You may even be aware that you are dreaming. Some of these can be life-altering. Dreams of 'natural light' I will skip describing for now, but the quality of awareness is what I think is key for a spiritual aspirant.

Dreaming, like 'being awake', is understood differently depending on context and culture. My understanding, one that makes sense to my western mind, is that dreaming is part of a continuum of consciousness. If we are interested in examining perception, reality, exploring consciousness in all it's aspects...then examination of the dreaming state is part of that exploration.

(This is my understanding...feel free to ignore it.)

Most dreams are a mix of the days events, and the symbols/events stored in our memory. It is as if the subconcious is 'playing' by taking normally disparate events and juxtaposing in order to create new relationships...new insights. Buddhists label these types of dreams as part of 'samsara'. The same 'samsara'/ignorance that we exist in while 'awake' in the normal sense.

Then, there are dreams of 'clarity'. These are the ones that stand out. The 'special' ones. Again, they are on a continuum. Some lesser...dreams of seeing one's self die, meeting others or traveling places. Some greater...life-altering. Dreams of clarity become more clear, take on attributes as one evolves.

Dreams have significance in every culture, but I think that 'interpretation' is best left to the individual. That being said, cross-culturally, certain dreams, seem to occur that have significance as 'signposts' in one's personal development. Dreams of death are significant in every culture as a representation of change in the individual.

Harlan,

This is a very helpful post for me and has set bells ringing in my head. I'm going to look more deeply into this, but not too deeply. lol!
  • edited June 2006
    I had a dream this morning before waking up that felt "significant". (Though it probably seems fairly weird...)

I was pregnant in the dream, about to give birth, and there was fighting were I was. Two sides on either side of a fence. Some of the people on the side I was on helped me inside and I gave birth to a girl, very quick, easy and painfree delivery but no afterbirth, which worried me. So I went and talked to my doctor who was in a library in the basement of the same building (this part is weird and doesn't make sense, so it's probably just something my mind made up as filler, to explain whatever it is it's trying to explain) and he said that it was because my ovaries were far apart and the left one tilted, and that it would be expelled naturally within a few days.

So I went back up, and the place was full of people I've known or met, and some people I didn't recognise at all, and we were eating, but I kept wanting to get back to the baby, who was taken care of by my mom. After a while I managed to excuse myself and go back, and there was my family, changing the baby.

Despite the very odd explanation by the doctor, that part (which somehow reminded me of something I read by Jung, though I can't remember what it was), and the part in the end, where I wanted to leave all these people from my past and go to the baby, felt especially significant.

For the past few days I've been thinking a lot about Buddhism and my practice and how I want to go on, and though I've been drawn to Buddhism ever since I first heard of it, and have tried for years to make it part of my life rather than a sort of intellectual exercise, I haven't been as successful at that as I would have liked, and I think it's because now for the first time, I *feel* (instead of just seeing at an intellectual level) the significance and relevance of the teachings for and in my life. That all sounds bad of course, but maybe I just wasn't ready before.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I like your dream, Aquula. Sounds like you're giving birth to a new beginning, wanting to cut some ties from the past. Interesting dream. Maybe the placenta was to remind you that it would not all come right away, that you were going to have to wait and be patient.
  • edited June 2006
    That sounds about right. I'll have to be patient and not expect everything to happen overnight.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    Or maybe she's just really really odd, and needs to get out more.....!!

I'm kidding aguula....:grin:

I'ts nice to actually find someone who not only has the dreams but can figure something out of them - the two don't always go hand in hand - ! babies do signify the beginning of something new...

It can mean different things for different people...Speaking entirely and singularly for my mother, when she dreams of babies, she worries, because it actually means a dramatic change that does not portend a favourable result. It has happened too often for her to conside it a coincidence.... But she's not massively maternal, and admits she might never have had children, had times been different....

keep it going, folks!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Whenever I dream that I'm pregnant I always give birth with no pain and no fuss, too. And it's alwaysabout going in a new direction spiritually. I never dreamt of being pregnant when I changed jobs or went to university or fell in love with someone new. It was always spiritual in nature, and always positive. Sometimes there'd be some anxiety but nothing serious, just uncertainties which are good in and of themselves. But there's also a feeling of well being, nothing over the top, just a general well being in the sense that I knew I was in the right place at the right time. No running for the train with all of my belongings falling out on the platform. lol!
  • edited June 2006
    You describe how I feel well, Brigid.

I don't think I've ever had a pregnancy dream before, can't even remember seeing a lot of babies in my dreams...

One of my closest friends has a lot of pregnancy and birthing dreams, they also seem to follow the pattern of being about new directions spiritually. I think most of them are of the easy painfree birth variety, but I think I remember her talking about one where it was a long and painful birth, but it still seemed to be positive in nature. (Okay, so I guess we talk about weird things. :P)

I wonder if men have pregnancy/birth dreams, or if the image isn't as powerful or closely linked for them. :wtf: