Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha's eyes

edited May 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I've noticed that in a lot of images of the Buddha, his eyes appear really tired. I was wondering why that is. I'm thinking it could represent a lot of time and effort put into the path and being exhausted as a result.

They look especially tired in the Buddha's eyes symbol

Comments

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    They look like eyes from a person who is concentrating in meditation to me. Anyways they are only symbolic, they can look different to different people.

This eyes in particular are used in Nepal temples.
    http://mydzi.blogspot.com/2007/11/meaning-of-buddha-eyes.html

Blessings.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Many Meditation instructions outline that the eyes should be relaxed, half-closed, focusing on a point between 1 and 2 metres in front of you on the ground.

All statues of the Buddha, with his eyes half open, are of him sitting in meditation.
    Statues of him reclining, and propping up his head with his right hand, have his eyes closed.... but seated, i have always seen him in full lotus, with hands in different positions, occasionally holding a vessel in his left hand, his right hand either in a Mudra or touching the ground.... but unfailingly, his eyes have been relaxed, placid and half-open.
    I think this also denotes humility and peacefulness....
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Also when the eyes are set just right, there is no need of blinking. My vision is usually a bit obscured by my eyelashes but I don't mind trading my vision for stillness.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    Many Meditation instructions outline that the eyes should be relaxed, half-closed, focusing on a point between 1 and 2 metres in front of you on the ground.

For some reason I assumed you were an eyes closed meditator. Not sure where I got the impression. The Forest Sangha folks tend to sit eyes closed. The zen folks are eyes open. I sit eyes open as you describe... but sometimes eyes closed..

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    All statues of the Buddha, with his eyes half open, are of him sitting in meditation.
    Many of the Buddha images I've seen show him with eyes closed.