Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Update

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited May 2012 in Meditation
After reading some things on meditation from buddhanet, I feel I have gained a foothold with medtation, allbeit maybe a small one. I still only seem to be able to meditate for around 10-15 minutes, but those minutes spent meditating feel rather different to how they have felt for 3 years prior.

I have been using a model where you focus on the abdomen as it rises and falls, when your thoughts go astray you should make whatever that may be the centre of your thinking until it passes. So for example I hear something outside, I focus on that and then return to the abdomen.

I have realized that the mind is constantly being hit with heaps of stimuli, I knew this before but I now I realize it on a different level. It is like being in a tin hut in a heavy hail storm. Also I have seen a few ways in which my mind works, I have seen how it has 'learnt' to cope with hyperchondriasis. When I get a prang about being sick or ill, it conveniently replaces that thought with something else really quickly and pushed it to the back of my mind. It has created a sort of blankspot if you will.

However I have been stopped in my tracks most of the time whilst meditating because for some reason my breathing becomes shallow or I feel sick in the pit of my stomach, somtimes both. I don't know why that is, any thoughts?

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Sounds like you're doing vipassana meditation... I think.

As for the feelings of shallow breathing/sick to the stomach: these are sometimes physical manifestations of anxiety. When you feel these bodily sensations, are you also thinking of something that makes you anxious?
  • Maybe, but now you mention that it may be that I am recognizing my anxiety because I have been diagnosed with it for years, but maybe meditation is bringing a bigger attention to it.. I don't know. It causes me to open my eyes though which obviously does not help.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Well, eyes open/closed/half-open... it doesn't really matter so long as you can be mindful (personally, I prefer half-open). If eyes closed works best for you, go for it.

Have you ever tried meditating through these unpleasant sensations? Or do you usually just stop because they're too much?

• I usually stop because they feel overwhelming, so I either feel sick to my stomach or get more anxious about my breathing which is the corner stone of meditation, or this type of meditation anyway. It creates a frantic mind so I feel I cannot go on, I guess I could try and sit with it more and see what happens. But it does suggest to me that I am am heading in a right direction now after 3 years of sitting and probably doing pretty much nothing productive.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Have you tried walking meditation? That can be good for anxiety. My brother is trying out meditation for depression and anxiety relief and he commented that the walking meditation helped him feel connected to his body in some way that was calming. I do walking meditation at times and it does help to let some of that tension go away just before sitting. Also I try to let the past drop away from me before sitting. I try to visualize it just leaving my body. Sometimes I do that.
  • No I have not properly tried walking meditation, there is an entire section to it on the site I have used so it wouldn't be hard to give a try. Thanks for the info Jeff, hope you are doing well old chap :vimp:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Not sure about the anxiety but when I'm fuming with anger.

My favorite thing to do is to examine the anger. Anger is pretty interesting.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Hi Tom,

I would recommend focusing on the breath. By focusing I mean to put attention to how much air goes in and how much air comes out. The breath is the easiest thing to focus on and also the easiest to adjust to our liking. Just find the right breathing that is most comfortable for you.

I think the reason that you feel sick at the pit of your stomach is because you are putting stress on your stomach. There are many types meditations out there, but I feel that breath meditation is the easiest and does not hurt any part of your body.

With metta