Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gunna start learning about buddhism

edited May 2006 in Buddhism Basics
It's intrigueing me, i'm gunna get some books and start reading up..

I've been interested in buddhism for quite a while now and i can see theres a lot of wisdom here, so i've been pushed.. or should i say I have chosen to look into this further as one of my sole wants, is wisdom and knowledge, peace .. serenity you name it

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Have you checked out the 'Recommended Reading Thread'?

Some good advice on where you might like to start....

Enjoy!

And never hesitate to come and ask for any feedback or clarification...Not that any of us are experts, but - two heads is better than one!! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    That's great, Celebrin!

You're going to have a wonderful time studying if you're anything like me. And from what I can gather from your earlier posts, I have a feeling you'll experience great satisfaction in learning about Buddhism.
  • edited May 2006
    I'm readin the heart of the buddha's teachings..

I understand a gd sum of it.. and it's really good..
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    That Book has been under discussion on forum for a while.... It's very popular, and a very good book...if you have anything about it you want to discuss, we'd be only to happy to demonstrate just how inept we all are...But we mean well - !!

Good one! ;)
  • edited May 2006
    mm can you tell me your opinion on reincarnation?

im a bit confused about what exactly it is in buddhist terms.. my view is the following

When you die you become part of everything and nothing... you go into everything and are everything, you are part of all and nothing

as your mind goes... your previous life continues as you have influenced the world, you are no longer concious or 'living' but are in everything

i don't think its all about beings reborn as another human or a butterfly.. you may become these but not on a physical level.. your views and influence are passed on
    but not you
    you don't change bodies... hmm im probs confusing you
    edited May 2006
    Nope...As far as I can tell, from my understanding, you've got it pretty much on the nose...
    Some finer detail may need tweaking - but I'm just as happy as you to sit back and let a more 'expert' scholar put in a comment....!
    Good one, Celebrin!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Thich Nhat Hanh teaches in "The Heart Of Buddha's Teaching" that everything is interdependant.

Everything is the sum of everything else. The particles that make us up are the same things that were floating around in space from the moment of the Big Bang or wherever else everything started.

The flower is not made up of a flower - it is made up the nutrients of the soil, water, fertilizer, sunshine, etc. When it ceases to exist - it returns what it is to everything else.

-bf