Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are there any "Hijra"-esque individuals in any sect of Busddhism?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited May 2012 in Faith & Religion
Hijra, in a very broad and generalized sense, are transsexual "gypsies" in India and Pakistan. They are born men and live as women, but are considered a third gender. They are considered to be lower class, but are thought to have the power to give blessings and curses. Thus, they travel to weddings, childbirths, etc. and perform blessings for money (or curse if they don't get enough).

Even though they are pretty much only found in these 2 countries (as well as in Hinduism, historically) , have there ever been these types of individuals in any sect/form of Buddhism? Historical or contemporary?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited May 2012
    My adopted son (born Pakistani) told me about these folks. Interesting, though I don't know the answer to your question. He told me they are very popular to be used in marriage ceremonies.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    I don't believe that there are any sect specific transgender traditions, but I do know that culturally thailand has a large number of transgender people. I forget what their proper name is, but they are considered a third gender.
    it's not a "proper" term, but most call the Thai transgender "katoey".
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Ah, I had no idea it wasn't a proper term.
    Some see it as insulting, others do not. Some think it is very accepted in Thailand, but under the surface it is not as accepted as it appears. I once walked into a shopping mall and thought wow, what a beautiful woman! Then an old lady spat directly in her face, and I realized why -- a katoey. They often have a bad reputation for petty theft with the men they meet in bars.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We have lesbian, homosexual, bisexual and transgender members on this forum.
    I personally regard any discussion which might put people of these persuasions, in a bad light, as in poor taste.

just a heads-up....;)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Its not their bodies we should be concerned about but their minds :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We shouldn't even be concerned about that.
    We should be far more concerned about our own.
    We have lesbian, homosexual, bisexual and transgender members on this forum.
    I personally regard any discussion which might put people of these persuasions, in a bad light, as in poor taste.

just a heads-up....;)
    Personally, as a gay man, I find saying "these persuasions" to be a tad offensive.

We shouldn't even be concerned about that.
    We should be far more concerned about our own.
    Well put!

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I'm a gay man as well, so rest assured that this topic is not meant to be hurtful in any way, shape or form.