Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

go ahead, laugh at my bonsai

Just wanted to show you my Wisteria that wont bloom. What a miracle is spring.

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006
    SLP, it's a darn sight better than any Bonsai i've tried to grow.

A Horticultural expert came to see my Bonsai-he stated that there was one really important thing that the tree needed, I thought he meant more loving kindness, more metta/dana/ respect? until he said , Water.

I gave up after that.

P.S. I have a wisteria growing in the backyard, it takes at least three years before blossoms occur-if my knowledge is anything to go by.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    How old is the one in the picture?

I personally think that even with a bonsai, the dish is (1) too shallow and (2) too wide....you need a more cylindrical and tall container (to counterbalance the growth and height) and you need more soil and to feed it sparingly....

Just the humble opinion of one who did a spot of horticulture in the UK.... a six-week stint at The Royal Botanical gardens at Wisley..... and has grown a couple of bonsai in her time....

....That's all.....
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Why laugh?

I think it's great.

There is a guy at work who does bonsai.

If you would like, I will take a picture today of one he has in his office and post it for ya.

I love bonsai.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,
    I'm just full of spring fever, as usual, posting the bonsai is not so much a cry for help, but a wish to make you smile. Any help and advice is greatly apreciated though, and I thank you for it.

I have 30 bonsai, with more in training. A few are actually beginning to show promise, I just can't seem to get good pictures of them with my low cost digital camera.

BF, I would enjoy any pictures you care to post at your leisure.

Spring is Buddha's time, and I'm really looking forward to the celebration of his birthday at the temple on the 20th.

I'm so thankfull for this web-site that brings me like minded beings.
  • edited May 2006
    What I meant was; this web-site helps with my practice.
    edited May 2006
    Unfortunately, it's too late now, my friend.

But I will take a picture when I get back into work.

Your 30' bonsai lookes like a lilac.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I was just going to ask if that was a lilac. My favourite!! And what a luscious colour! Oh, I can almost smell them. Mmmmmm......
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,

It's just that spring is really springy around here this year. We must have hit a very nice weather pattern, for a change. I noticed the plant life has put on alot of new growth. The White Spruces, some of my favorites, are really loaded with new growth, and the lilacs seem to have extra blossoms this year. One has a Robbins nest in it.
    I'm looking forward to bringing the Monks produce from my garden. Plants are such a great study in impermanance, and interdependance.

BF, I do have one imperial bonsai, it's a 6' Catalpa. It wont bloom either, I think it's a male. "weed trees" I pull up out my yard seem to do best for me as bonsai, but the leaves are too big to make good bonsai. I use them to learn and practice on. I have many Sumac in training. Actually all my bonsai are "in training", that is, none are "finished". The wisteria, and the catalpa were both damaged by a late frost this year. I had hoped that would get the wisteria to bloom, it's old enough, I've had it in in a pot since 1999. No such luck. Bonsai forces me to get out and do stuff in the spring, mother nature waits for no one. None of my trees are much to look at as "bonsai", and I always make the beginners' mistake of trying too many different species. But, in the fall, my miniature forest with all the variety of color makes it worthwhile. I take pictures of my trees so I can comepare from year to year how they are doing. All those pictures were lost when my last computer died, or I would have many to post.

Maybe its just because Buddha's teachings are so universal, and I don't really don't have any insight into rebirth, but sometimes it occures to me that I must have been exposed to eastern culture before.

Please, everybody, post anything spring time related to this thread. The "rebirth" of spring is like magic to me. I would really like to share in my friends observations of "spring".
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Awww. I love bonsai trees, too - but I have a cat that REALLY likes them, so I won't be getting any more until I get my own (cat-free) place. My poor junipers...I miss you, Sanji and Kenshin! :,( (Yes, I name my plants...)

Good luck with yours, everyone!
  • edited May 2006
    Boxwood, sorry, my camera not so good.
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,

Mushrooms,
  • edited May 2006
    I think your bonsai trees look great, i'm inspired to grow one pretty soon now :)
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,
    Go for it Wezz, most of my bonsai came from nursury stock from the department stores or home centers. I dont buy bonsai pots anymore, they cost too much, and people don't give them back after they've killed the tree I made for them. haha. I just use terra cotta dishs. I drill 2 or 3 holes in them with a masonry bit. Be gentle, they're very brittle. Place some kind of soft cushion under the pot and drill from the inside. Get a book first, or do some research on the web. Last bit of advice, look for nice roots and trunk when choosing a tree. When I go to the nurserys I find probably less then 1 in 100 are suitable for bonsai.

This cottoneaster is one my fav's. Last year, in the fall it seemed like it had more red berrys than leaves. A miniature apple tree.
    edited May 2006
    The bonsai of a gentleman that I work with.

-bf
    one.jpg 424.3K
    two.jpg 374.1K
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Those would all be perfect for my Barbie town.
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,

Wow! BF those are great! I like! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

and now, my gift to you; birdies!
  • edited May 2006
    thanks for the advice simplelayperson, i'll keep that in mind when (if I can ever) go looking for some Bonsai plants.

With love,
    Wes.
  • edited May 2006
    awww birdies!! there so cute! I love birds, so relaxing to watch after a long day :)

my grandma doesn't have too many hummingbirds this year, it's really sad, shes only seen about 2 so far, hopefully more will be coming in.

With love,
    Wes.
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,
    Hi Wezz, my pleasure, like most things, plants don't have "views" I apreciate that.
    There was an article in the newspaper last week about a guy, a florist no less, whose wisteria bloomed this year for the first time in 40 years! I knew it was an extra good spring this year around here.