Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any tips on just watching, not controlling the breath?

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
edited May 2012 in Meditation
I am not sure if this qualifies as a meditation question, but I figure this is the essence of vipasshyana meditation. Lately I have been trying to incorporate this level of awareness into my everyday activities that have lost their luster due to habit of deed. Sometimes I feel like I am able to just watch the body be, but other times I feel like I'm actively controlling breath, or interrupting it sometimes. If anyone has any comments I would be very happy to hear them.

Thanks for reading and may your day be Allsmiles! ^^

Comments

• jlljll Veteran
    This is a very common problem for beginners.
    yes, you tend to control your breath when you observe it.
    it is bcos you are not used to watching your breath.
    its ok, no problem.
    even when you are controlling your breath, continue to note and see what happens.
    be patient and keep doing it for as long as you can.
    keep noting , is my breath long or short, deep or shallow, fast or slow.
    the point is to keep your sustained attention on your breath.
    with practice, you will be able to just observe you natural breath without controlling it.
    keep practsising and dont give up.
    good luck.
  • DharmakaraDharmakara Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Hi Sova. I would have to say it definitely qualifies as a meditation question. You might find either of these websites helpful:

http://www.meditationiseasy.com/mCorner/techniques/Vipassana.htm

http://www.virtualsynapses.com/2011/08/mindfulness-meditation-on-breath.html

You might also wish to consider giving walking meditation a try. Regardless of the form of meditation, if your breath becomes irregular in some way, ragged or uneven, ect., the simplest way to calm it is to patiently wait for it to do so on its own--- it's a natural function of the body to control and regulate breathing in the first place.

The important thing, as Jll said above, keep practsising and don't give up.
  • Sometimes I feel like I am able to just watch the body be, but other times I feel like I'm actively controlling breath, or interrupting it sometimes.
    Watch everything including the need to control. They are of the nature to arise and cease.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Ride it.

Even if it feels controlled by you. It isn't.

That sense of control is an after thought.

Mindfulness of breath is the occurance of breath itself. Not somethin watching the breath but the breath itself.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    thanks for all your replies! =) The weather today is gorgeous, I think some walking meditation is in order =D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    One tip is to stop meditating and instead just be seated. As you tell yourself that you are not meditating the breath will return to normal. It works, try it.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    thanks for all your replies! =) The weather today is gorgeous, I think some walking meditation is in order =D
    Walking is good! It's possible to combine walking with watching the breath, one method is to count how many footsteps it takes to complete an in-breath and then an out-breath.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I am not sure if this qualifies as a meditation question, but I figure this is the essence of vipasshyana meditation. Lately I have been trying to incorporate this level of awareness into my everyday activities that have lost their luster due to habit of deed. Sometimes I feel like I am able to just watch the body be, but other times I feel like I'm actively controlling breath, or interrupting it sometimes. If anyone has any comments I would be very happy to hear them.

Thanks for reading and may your day be Allsmiles! ^^
    I vote with Jill.

If you keep up your meditation practice these problems will disappear.
  • I sometimes visualize air entering my body. I actually visualize my lungs filling up with air and then exiting my body, being mindful of the sensations of air moving throughout my body.