Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kwiz Thyme - Wow!

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited May 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Okay,

Here it is... time for another quiz. Post your answers on Sunday - everyone gets to post. Your thoughts about what is read, looked up and studied in this quiz are really very important. Just don't feel like because someone else (like Freddie or Palzang when they cheat) posted the answers - that yours are not important! I wanna read everyone's thoughts!

This one is very interesting - especially given that for some of us - this is the only sangha we have...

Okay... here we go. Ready...?

What is the average airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow?

Wait.... wrong question...

What are the Five Sins!?!?!?!?!

Answers on Sunday.

-bf

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    0.26935 knots.....

....Oh, wait......

I don't know.

I'll try to find out.....

for tuesday, maybe.....:grin:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    With coconuts or not?

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LOL!!!

I didn't know there were sins in Buddhism. I'm not comfortable with that idea. I can't imagine the word "sin" as having anything but a Christian moral context.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Killing one's father

Killing one's mother,

Killing an arhat,

Shedding the blood of Buddha, and

Destroying the harmony of the sangha.

Pretty naughty in my book....!

The Origin of the word 'Sin' is probably Old English, derived from the Latin "Sons" meaning Guilt....

I think that, inspite of an ingrained Christian upbringing, for my part, I try not to get too hung up with words, and definitions....We after all, only have these languages with which to express ourselves.

I'd love to know the Pali equivalent...maybe Elohim could help us out there, and we could use that, instead....

No faceitiousness intended.... :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    The Pali equivalent or any other substiution would be great. The word "sin" and it's Catholic meaning with all its connotations is just too embedded in my mind and something I wanted to leave behind. Hey! That rhymed! So did that! It must really be spring. I always start rhyming in spring. lol!! How's that for some fanciful thinking? lol!

What sutra do these five sins come from? Or if not in any sutras, where do they come from?

Oh, I'll look it up and not be so lazy. Then I can contribute something a little more useful to this thread.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Found some info on Accesstoinsight, as usual.

There, they are called the Five Grave Deeds which I like much better.
    (2) The five grave deeds are:

(a) killing one's mother (matricide),
    (b) killing one's father (patricide),
    (c) killing an arahant,
    (d) maliciously injuring the Tathagata to the point of drawing blood, and
    (e) successfully creating a schism in the Community.

(a & b) The prohibition against ordaining a matricide or patricide, the Commentary says, applies only to a person who has intentionally killed his human birth mother or father. Limiting the prohibition to one's birth parents is understandable, but — assuming that human/non-human matches are possible — it is hard to understand why the prohibition would not include murdering a non-human parent. The Commentary states further that the prohibition applies only if the applicant's act of killing his mother or father was intentional, but that it also applies regardless of whether the act was done knowingly. In other words, it applies even to an applicant who — like Oedipus — has intentionally killed a person not knowing that the person is his true mother or father.

(c) Likewise, the prohibition against one who has killed an arahant applies only to intentional acts of murder, but also applies regardless of whether the applicant knew at that time that his victim was an arahant.

(d) The prohibition against one who has caused the Tathagata to shed blood applies only to those who wound the Tathagata with hurtful intentions. It does not apply to doctors performing surgery.

(e) The prohibition against a schismatic applies to one who, knowing that his position is contrary to the Dhamma-Vinaya, has succeeded in creating a schism. This applies both to the initiator and to any of his followers. As mentioned in Sg 10, if a bhikkhu participates in a schismatic faction not knowing that its position is contrary to the true Dhamma and Vinaya but then later sees the error of his ways, he is not excluded from the Community. He need only confess a thullaccaya and he is a member of the Community in full standing, as before. If it so happened that he disrobed before confessing the thullaccaya, he should still be allowed to reordain if he so desires.

I found the info here.
    And the Pali term is "anantariya-kamma".
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Oh, it's from the Vinaya and it's one of the 4 things that absolutely disqualify one from becoming ordained. I will not go into the other three because it will undoubtedly lead this thread off the topic. But I think it's important to note that the Five Grave Deeds are an ordination issue.
    edited May 2006
    Wow!! Good Homework, Brigid...and (here) it's only Friday - !!

Should at least get you a gold star... and we can share the apple - I happen to know BF prefers them in liquid 'liquor' form....!!

The ordination requirements are steep, not to say a little bizarre....

I would think one would be hard pressed to meet the absolute no-no criteria...Which shows a fairly open-minded liberal attitude - unless of course, you are a hemaphrodite or an animal.

No wonder I have never found a bikkhu-snail.....!

Good research... thanks.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Well, from Chem I and Beginning Physics, I'd say you have to take the sparrow's mass in grams, the amount of energy the sparrow is expending in kilojoules, and the volume of air in litres. Add H2O, Ba(OH)2, shake, and stir!

Yes...chem has tarnished my mind...oh, the titrations! Gah!

Tathagata - whassat?
    I like how the Buddhist sins are so much more humanly possible to not commit. In Christianity, I'd be roasting on a spit by now.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Should at least get you a gold star... and we can share the apple - I happen to know BF prefers them in liquid 'liquor' form....!!

Does that mean cider? Yum! Can I get mine with a touch of black? Or maybe a Snakebite. I don't drink in real life but I can on here! But I don't like Scrumpy's. (Is that the right name? It's been a long time. lol!)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Sabine wrote:

Tathagata - whassat?

It means "Thus Gone One" and is one of the epithets of the Buddha.

Palzang
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2006
    All,

Also see AN V.129:
    Translator's note: This discourse lists the five grave deeds that are said to prevent one's chances of attaining any of the noble attainments in this lifetime. People who commit them fall — immediately at the moment of death — into hell. No help from outside is able to mitigate the sufferings they will endure in hell, and thus they are said to be incurable. Only when the results of these deeds have worked themselves out will they be released from hell. Even if they return to the human plane, they will continue to suffer the consequences of their deeds. For example, Ven. Moggallana, one of the Buddha's foremost disciples, killed his parents many aeons ago, and the results of that deed pursued him even through his final lifetime, when he was beaten to death.

"There are these five inhabitants of the states of deprivation, inhabitants of hell, who are in agony & incurable. Which five? One who has killed his/her mother, one who has killed his/her father, one who has killed an arahant, one who — with a corrupted mind — has caused the blood of a Tathagata to flow, and one who has caused a split in the Sangha. These are the five inhabitants of the states of deprivation, inhabitants of hell, who are in agony & incurable."

:)

Jason
  • edited May 2006
    Thyme? Yes, I know what that is. I use it all the "thyme" when I am cooking.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I kill me.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LOL!!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Wow.

Good job everyone.

Looks like there has been some thinking going on!

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited May 2006
    BF,
    What happened while I was gone? You got all heady on me! It's nice, but a shock.
    edited May 2006
    Well, Jerbear, my friend...

I used to try to ease things up around here by talking about boobs and making jokes and such.

But, Freddie and her clan (you know Yoda, Sharpie, Brigid, Palzang - all them "womenfolk") kept sending me messages about how I joked around too much and was too lighthearted and happy in my day-to-day life. How I was filled with peace and joy and the absense of suffering. They kept telling me, "You need a woman in your life to get you out of that "happiness" rut."

Well, I didn't cave. But I just got tired of reading hundreds of emails where broa...I mean... women just kept bitch-slappin' me.

So, I tried the "heady" approach.

Whatcha think!?!?!?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Well, Jerbear, my friend...

I used to try to ease things up around here by talking about boobs and making jokes and such.

But, Freddie and her clan (you know Yoda, Sharpie, Brigid, Palzang - all them "womenfolk") kept sending me messages about how I joked around too much and was too lighthearted and happy in my day-to-day life. How I was filled with peace and joy and the absense of suffering. They kept telling me, "You need a woman in your life to get you out of that "happiness" rut."

Well, I didn't cave. But I just got tired of reading hundreds of emails where broa...I mean... women just kept bitch-slappin' me.

So, I tried the "heady" approach.

Whatcha think!?!?!?

-bf

How dare you call me a woman! Do that again and I'll hit you with my purse, er, monk's bag!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LOL!!

Hey, wait a minute...what's wrong with being called a woman? It's a compliment. lol!

Jerry,

BF has really gone all cerebral, hasn't he? I think he's found another calling. He comes up with some great ideas. Maybe in a few years he's going to be a bona fide teacher of Buddhism. He's got the irreverence for it.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Well Brigid,
    I could call Palzang, "Mary", "Girl", "Ms. Palzang" or the like and get away with it since we have a common understanding of what it means to be hmmmmm..unique. But BF being the big butch man he is wouldn't.

BF,
    By the way, Brigid wants her make up kit back. She was afraid to ask because she knows how nasty you can be bout it on the board.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, and I hope you didn't use my mascara because my stylist told me that's how you get pink eye. But I'm thinking the Coral blush and the Pretty in Purple eye shadow would work really well on you. And the 12 Hour Cunning Concealer would take care of that "little" problem with your pores and uneven skin tone. But don't use any of my lipsticks or glosses. They're very expensive and blended to match my skin tone only. They would be a disaster on you. Especially in that little red number you love to wear so much. (Number? Only men call dresses "numbers". I must have got it from Genryu. lol!)
    edited May 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    LOL!!

Hey, wait a minute...what's wrong with being called a woman? It's a compliment. lol!

Jerry,

BF has really gone all cerebral, hasn't he? I think he's found another calling. He comes up with some great ideas. Maybe in a few years he's going to be a bona fide teacher of Buddhism. He's got the irreverence for it.

1) How can you say I'm all cerebral when I just got done talking about boobies?

b) All the "great" ideas I come up with - I've stolen.

iii) In the words of Comic, "I pity the fool that would listen to my teachings."

-bf
    edited May 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Yeah, and I hope you didn't use my mascara because my stylist told me that's how you get pink eye. But I'm thinking the Coral blush and the Pretty in Purple eye shadow would work really well on you. And the 12 Hour Cunning Concealer would take care of that "little" problem with your pores and uneven skin tone. But don't use any of my lipsticks or glosses. They're very expensive and blended to match my skin tone only. They would be a disaster on you. Especially in that little red number you love to wear so much. (Number? Only men call dresses "numbers". I must have got it from Genryu. lol!)

I supposed you want your garter belt back too, huh?

Bitch.

I just hope I didn't stretch it out too much...

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited May 2006
    BF,
    I'm giving you an honorary "Girl" card. That took guts to post. You may now call any gay man "Mary", "Girl", "Bitch", "Queen", or any other effeminate name you may think of or steal from me. But please take Brigid's make up tips. Saw the pix, not pretty! And the garter is worn on the thigh, not as a headband. That's why they keep stretching out.
    edited May 2006
    Don't you just love deep, meaningful, philosophical discussions.....?

(Just gonna find one...... BRB.....)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LMAO!!!

BF,
    Keep the garter. Please. But I definitely want my periwinkle push up back.
    edited May 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    BF,
    I'm giving you an honorary "Girl" card. That took guts to post. You may now call any gay man "Mary", "Girl", "Bitch", "Queen", or any other effeminate name you may think of or steal from me.

Awww... you are going to make me cry...

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited May 2006
    BF,
    See you're already using your "Girl" card! GOOD FOR YOU!
    edited May 2006
    Sweet!

I am getting the hang of it! Hmmm.....

You like this?
    What does "sure" mean?
    Does it make my butt look big?
    Well!, I wanted something other than "you're fine the way you are, honey". What's that supposed to mean?!?!!?
    Well, for one you never say anything to make me feel pretty anymore!!!! You just sit your big, fat ass down in front of the TV all night and never do anything like take me dancing or anything!
    You love that damn ESPN more than you love me!
    My mother was right - you're nothing but a fat, lazy good-for-nothing. I should have never married you.
    HOLD ME!

Yeah... I think I'm getting the hang of it.

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Does it make my butt look big?

Yes.

Actually, no. Your butt makes your butt look big.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LMAO!!!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Also, drop the ESPN bit. No "girl" would know that. How about HGTV? Food Network? And though you have the wrist/hand action down, your voice is still too direct.

And the reason you're not taken dancing any more is because of that outfit you wore last time. It was more revealing than Saran Wrap. NOT PRETTY! Oh, and that you can't dance either.

Must take nap before work tonight. YUK! 12 hours at the hospital. Send waves of metta or pain relief my way. Starting about 9PM EST. I need it. Only on for one, off one then work two. That is why we are starting Monday on the book. Please realize that I may not post until late night but feel free to post anytime that day.