Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Choosing how to spend your time

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
Does anyone-has anyone reflected on this much

Would one of those 'If I had 2 months to live...' scenarios help clarify priorities.

Personal views welcome.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    It's a good test question to ask to see if ones meditation is in sync with ones actions. If you can find some regrets that there is something that you'd like to be doing that you presently aren't because you think that you have an unlimited lifespan....time to wake up.
  • @how With the knowledge of "no foreseeable future", I wouldn't go to work... I'd play with my son at the lakefront!! But as it is now, not knowing when my time is up, I have to go to work because I/we need the paycheck & the insurance. But I really hate losing all this time with him...

"2 months left to live" may clarify what you'd like to do, rather than actual prioritoes, because you now don't really have to worry about actually doing the day-to-day drudgery. More free time. (Like I'm gonna do the dishes if I had 2 months to live!! LOL)
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    No, if given a specified number of days, months or even hours; the desire to get things into a given space could never be achieved. Nor would the intentions be of a free will; since given this time as a definite and finite image I would see the world not as a journey, but as an end.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    It's a good question; if you knew your days were numbered, would you do anything differently?

Reminds me of my Father... He was recovering from a nasty bout of pneumonia and had some sort of resistive fungus in his lungs that he was battling, at least that was what he shared with us. Even though he did not have his strength back, true to his stubborn nature, he followed through with his plan to travel and visit each of his kids and grand kids, which meant traveling to Maryland, Florida and California. He died from lung cancer just 2 weeks after returning from his trip.

It wasn't clear to the family until after the trip and was hospitalized, that he knew he had cancer before he left for his visits, and decided to keep the secret. He wanted to spend his final days with family, in a happy mood without pity trips.

In some ways I wish I would have known, but the decisions he made, made me respect him even more.
  • _/\_