Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Moments of Need (of something)

edited May 2006 in Buddhism Today
My sister-in-law is going through some medical issues with her father. They are not life threatening, but any surgery could turn serious and fatal very quickly.

When she told me of the situation, she was, needless to say, very upset. As a Christian, the first thing I would do is say prayers. But I am not comfortable with that anymore. So, as a Buddhist, what would be some prayer that could be said? I have read from a few different people here that they were to light incense and offer prayers.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Sharpie

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    What we usually do is practice and dedicate the merit to the person undergoing the surgery or whatever.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    I often recite the Tara mantra....That has always been extremely comforting and effective for me....

OM Tare Tuttare Ture Soha......
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    And there's a Medicine Buddha, too, in Tibetan Buddhism. Does anybody know any mantras or practices around the Medicine Buddha?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    This is the Blue Medicine Buddha Mantra, as copied from a French site on the subject....

Tayatha Om Békadzé, Békadzé Maha Békadzé, Radza Samout-gaté Soha

Lama Surya Das has the mantra in his book:-

'Letting Go of the Person you Used to Be'....

I'll try to post his pronunciation/version, if it would be more to the English "Ear" in a short while....

edited May 2006
    Here it is, as quoted from the book mentioned above:

Ta-Ya-Ta Om Bekandzéh Bekandzéh, Mahabekandzéh Radza Sumud-Gaté Soha...

from Chapter 6: 'Healing the World, healing Ourselves.' (P. 137)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    That's great, Fede! I'm saving that one for my use. Now I just have to find out what it means. I think the next thing I'm going to invest in is a CD of mantras so I can hear how they're done.
    I'll Google the Medicine Buddha mantra and see if I can find a translation.
  • edited May 2006
    THANK YOU all for the suggestions! I will keep them handy for use!

ps the emergency surgery went well.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    During my searching I kept coming upon caveats to chanting Vajrayana mantras strongly recommending that you have a Dorje Lopon give you empowerments to recite them. That's one of the reasons one needs a teacher in Vajrayana Buddhism so I really don't know if I'm supposed to recite these at all. I found the full Medicine Buddha mantra but I haven't found an English translation yet. I was looking for it because I thought I might add chanting to my meditation, especially the Medicine Buddha mantra, for my back. But now I don't know what to do. I think I better err on the side of caution and wait until I can find someone to help me.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    THANK YOU all for the suggestions! I will keep them handy for use!

ps the emergency surgery went well.

That's wonderful, Sharpiegirl! I wish we could have come up with something more substantial for you. I think this is a very good question. I hope Jason, Genryu, Palzang or others will weigh in on this one because I'd love to know if there really is any specific Buddhist practice for sending healing to the sick. I'm a little confused about the whole thing right now.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2006
    All,

As Palzang has said, dedicating the merit of our practice to someone who is sick is one way of helping. Also, if one were able to abtain deep states of meditation, that would help the body and mind heal to actually heal itself. Ajahn Brahmavamso has given many talks on this subject. In Burma/Myanmar, and other Theravadin Buddhist countries, they have a collection of chants that are said to have various protective and healing effects. This collection of chants is called the Maha Paritta (Text of the Great Protection). The Bojjhanga Sutta (Discourse on the Seven Factors of Enlightenment) is said to help the sick recover from illness. I don't really know any other specific Buddhist practices for sending healing to the sick, so I hope that is helpful.

:)

Jason