Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and stoics?

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited May 2012 in Faith & Religion
They both encourage indifference to emotions. Are there other similarities?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2012
    You might be interested in reading this, which is a blog post I wrote a few years back.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @Jason that link just leads to this thread man :P
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Maybe, it is a zen-like answer, lol.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    yeah...i thought i was doing something wrong
    You might be interested in reading this, which is a blog post I wrote a few years back.
    Fixed.
    Maybe, it is a zen-like answer, lol.
    A Zen thing. Yeah, that's the ticket. :D
  • They both encourage indifference to emotions. Are there other similarities?
    I don't know much about stoicsm (sic) but it strikes me that Buddhism does not encourage indifference to emotions, rather it seeks to clarify our relationship to emotions.
  • My understanding of the Stoic school of philosophy is that it has some similarity with Buddhist understandings in that it holds that our experience of both pleasure and pain are independant of outward circumstances. However, it places more importance on the idea that emotions are of no significance in themselves.
    One of the things which belonged to my father that I have, 27 years after his death, is his bound copy of Shakespeare's tragedy Julius Caeser and it includes his study notes, written in pen and ink.
    His notes include a comment that Brutus, as a stoic found it "cowardly and vile to suicide" yet he found he could not submit to "go bound to Rome". His suicide shows that" honour and the fear of shame were more binding than the philosophical creed he had cultivated."
  • ToshTosh Veteran

One of the things which belonged to my father that I have, 27 years after his death, is his bound copy of Shakespeare's tragedy Julius Caeser and it includes his study notes, written in pen and ink.
    Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet:
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
    How 'Buddhist' is that?