Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gifts he left behind

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited May 2012 in Arts & Writings
Source: Here

Comments

• A well-read layman was conversing with Luang Pu, saying, "I firmly believe that in our present day and age there are not just a few monks who have practiced to the point of reaching the paths, fruitions, and nibbana. So why don't they make their knowledge public, so that those who are interested in the practice will know of the levels of Dhamma they have attained, as a way of giving them encouragement and hope so that they'll accelerate their efforts to the utmost of their ability?"

Luang Pu answered,

"Those who have awakened don't talk of what they've awakened to, because it lies above and beyond all words."
  • In March, 1964, a large number of scholarly and meditating monks — the first group of "Dhamma Missionaries" — came to pay their respects to Luang Pu and to ask for teachings and advice that they could use in their work of spreading the Dhamma. Luang Pu taught them Dhamma on the ultimate level, both for them to teach others and for them to put into practice themselves so as to reach that level of truth. In conclusion, he gave them a piece of wisdom for them to take and contemplate:

"No matter how much you think, you won't know.
    Only when you stop thinking will you know.
    But still, you have to depend on thinking so as to know."
  • Luang Pu was invited to teach in Bangkok on March 31, 1978. During a Dhamma conversation, some lay people expressed their doubts about what "buddho" was like. Luang Pu was kind enough to answer:

"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.

"The knowledge that comes from a mind that's quiet is extremely subtle and profound. So let your knowledge come out of a mind quiet and still.

"Have the mind give rise to a single preoccupation. Don't send it outside. Let the mind stay right in the mind. Let the mind meditate on its own. Let it be the one that keeps repeating buddho, buddho. And then genuine buddho will appear in the mind. You'll know for yourself what buddho is like..."
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    Luang Pu answered,

"Those who have awakened don't talk of what they've awakened to, because it lies above and beyond all words."
    This is the opinion of Luang Pu.

Whats *your* opinion, before any influence entered your mind ?
    I personally dont agree with all this ''an enlightened person wouldnt say hes enlightened''

some will, some wont..

Siddhartha did. others have also.

• "Those who have awakened don't talk of what they've awakened to, because it lies above and beyond all words" is very different from your own interpretation.
  • In early September, 1983, the Housewives Association of the Interior Ministry, led by Mrs. Juap Jirarote, came to the Northeast to do some charity work. One evening they took the opportunity to stop by and pay their respects to Luang Pu at 6:20 p.m.

After they had paid their respects and asked after his health, they received some amulets from him. Seeing that he wasn't feeling well, though, they quickly left. But there was one lady who stayed behind and took this special opportunity to ask Luang Pu, "I'd like something good [a euphemism for an amulet] from Luang Pu, too."

Luang Pu replied, "You have to meditate to get something good. When you meditate, your mind will be at peace. Your words and deeds will be at peace. Your words and deeds will be good. When you live in a good way like this, you'll be happy."

The lady replied, "I have lots of duties, and no time to meditate. My government work has me all tied up, so where am I going to find any time to meditate?"

Luang Pu explained,

"If you have time to breathe, you have time to meditate."
  • "When you can separate the mind from its involvement with all things, the mind is no longer tied to sorrow. Whether sights, sounds, smells, tastes, or tactile sensations are good or bad depends on the mind's going out to fashion them in that way. When the mind lacks discernment, it misunderstands things. When it misunderstands things, it gets deluded under the influence of all things that are binding, both physically and mentally. The ill effects and punishments we suffer physically are things from which other people can help free us, to at least some extent. But the ill effects within the mind, to which the mind is in bondage through defilement and craving, are things from which we have to learn to free ourselves on our own.

"The noble ones have freed themselves from ill effects of both sorts, which is why suffering and stress can't overcome them."
    "Those who have awakened don't talk of what they've awakened to, because it lies above and beyond all words" is very different from your own interpretation.
    I wasnt necessarily talking about 'this' quote.
    I was talking about awakening in general.

People on here have stated many times that an awakened person or enlightened person wouldnt talk about their awakening or wouldnt admit to being enlightened. and if he did think he was, then he isnt..etc etc..

All im saying is; I dont agree!
  • I've never said that and in the thread where you said there were no enlightened or Awakened people, I pointed out that wasn't true.

Cheerio,
    Abu
  • "People who practice the Dhamma don't have to give any thought to past or future lives, or to heaven or hell. All they have to do is be firm and intent on practicing correctly in line with the principles of virtue, concentration, and discernment. If there really are 16 levels of heaven as they say in the texts, people who practice well are sure to rise to those levels. Or if heaven and nibbana don't exist, people who practice well don't lack for benefits here and now. They're sure to be happy, as human beings on a high level.

"Listening to what other people say, looking things up in the texts, can't resolve your doubts. You have to put effort into the practice to give rise to clear insight knowledge. That's when doubt will be totally resolved on its own."