Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dorje & Bell

MichelleMichelle Explorer
edited May 2006 in General Banter
My daughters gave me a beautiful dorje and bell for Mother's day. My question is : what do I do with them/ what is their purpose ?

Thank you :).

Namaste,
Michelle

Comments

• edited May 2006
    The dorje represents compassion and the bell - wisdom - the two different facets of awakening. Used together, the bell also can represent the body, the dorje - the mind, and the sound of the bell is the sound of the Dharma, truth or the speech of the Buddha.
  • MichelleMichelle Explorer
    edited May 2006
    The dorje represents compassion and the bell - wisdom - the two different facets of awakening. Used together, the bell also can represent the body, the dorje - the mind, and the sound of the bell is the sound of the Dharma, truth or the speech of the Buddha.

Thank you, Genryu. I'm sure my children didn't realize what a wonderful gift they were giving me. They bought them because they were 'pretty' and had 'something to do with Buddhism'. I will now treat the dorje and bell with the respect they deserve.

Namaste,
    Michelle
  • edited May 2006
    The dorje and bell derive their power from you and your innate wisdom and compassion. Without that, they become mere ornaments. The real sound of the Buddha is your own voice when it speaks true and from the heart/mind.
    edited May 2006
    The dorje and bell derive their power from you and your innate wisdom and compassion. Without that, they become mere ornaments. The real sound of the Buddha is your own voice when it speaks true and from the heart/mind.

Gee, thanks. No pressure there . I have to be filled with wisdom AND be compassionate :).

I know what you are saying and I sincerely thank you for your guidance.

Namaste,
    Michelle
  • edited May 2006
    There's nothing to thank me for Michelle. You already have the wisdom and compassion of a Buddha. :o)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    I always thought of ZM as 'Our little Ding-a-ling'.... :D
  • edited May 2006
    Jake the peg is a good song too. :cheer:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Heh heh, heh....

No, you see....you don't get it....

What I actually meant was.....

Oh.

Very funny.

:D
    edited May 2006
    There's nothing to thank me for Michelle. You already have the wisdom and compassion of a Buddha. :o)

I thank you for taking the time to reply and for your encouraging words :).
    edited May 2006
    Wasn't 'My Ding-a-Ling' a Chuck Berry song? Good grief, I really am old.
    edited May 2006
    Yes, and yes.
    just like me. ;)