Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Difference between breath and visual absorption

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited June 2012 in Meditation
I am experiencing more emotional distress lately. And I find meditation on the breath in the nostrils is related to being stuck in distress, whereas visual absorption I feel more peaceful.

What do you think this means? I think I am going to do visual absorption.

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    What is visual absorption?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2012
    ........ I think I am going to do visual absorption.
    Sounds good to me......
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @taiyaki, it is like looking at an object and holding steady concentration in the eye sense. Just returning to that sense. It is not a dzogchen meditation, just concentration and steadiness. You could even imagine an object. Like a solid object is what I desire. A candle flame would be too strained. A coffee mug would stimulate too much desire. Some pretty neutral. I think of this because it seems to be what I need.
  • @Jeffrey
    I have heard of that type of meditation before. I have not tried it myself, but it was suggested to another student. You should try it and see if it works for you or not.

cheers
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    I see. While you're doing that make sure to relax any tensions.

For instance if you concentrate too much stuff can start to shift and change. So from there its good to relax the gaze.

Hope all goes well.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I am experiencing more emotional distress lately. And I find meditation on the breath in the nostrils is related to being stuck in distress, whereas visual absorption I feel more peaceful.

I think it's worth trying out different approaches. Have you investigated kasina practices, eg looking at a blue disc?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Hey Jeffrey

Eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind.
    Everyone learns or has a greater affinity to some sense gates over others. This is the same with meditation.
    Both forms of meditation you list are concentration oriented but partake of different sense gates. That each one brings different effects is normal but all that will become less important in time.
    This is because In the end, that very search for anything from ones meditation will not only hobble your practise but will also result in suffering.
    The four noble truths, apply to everything..

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @how, thanks