Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Buddhism holy?

2»

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @ozen @tosh @taiyaki

Perhaps it is a good time for someone to post a thread on emptiness and non-self? I'd like to participate too. I thought of starting one.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @Jeffrey, it's my favourite subject; I love the logic. But rather than just emptiness, what about 'how does all phenomena exist?' and then we can discuss how conventional stuff like tables exist too (causes, label, parts, basis of imputation, imputation by conception) and that may help with the understanding of Emptiness?

And could we also include in the discussion what's the point of understanding this stuff? Is it just a philosopher's plaything, or does it have real value in our day-to-day lives; even if we're not enlightened and only have a conceptual understanding of it?

It's late here in the UK, so I'll not be able to participate tonight.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.26.budd.html

385. He for whom there is neither this shore nor the other shore, nor yet both, he who is free of cares and is unfettered — him do I call a holy man. [27]

386. He who is meditative, stainless and settled, whose work is done and who is free from cankers, having reached the highest goal — him do I call a holy man.

388. Because he has discarded evil, he is called a holy man. Because he is serene in conduct, he is called a recluse. And because he has renounced his impurities, he is called a renunciate.

391. He who does no evil in deed, word and thought, who is restrained in these three ways — him do I call a holy man.

393. Not by matted hair, nor by lineage, nor by birth does one become a holy man. But he in whom truth and righteousness exist — he is pure, he is a holy man.

396. I do not call him a holy man because of his lineage or high-born mother. If he is full of impeding attachments, he is just a supercilious man. But who is free from impediments and clinging — him do I call a holy man.

397. He who, having cut off all fetters, trembles no more, who has overcome all attachments and is emancipated — him do I call a holy man.

398. He who has cut off the thong (of hatred), the band (of craving), and the rope (of false views), together with the appurtenances (latent evil tendencies), he who has removed the crossbar (of ignorance) and is enlightened — him do I call a holy man.

399. He who without resentment endures abuse, beating and punishment; whose power, real might, is patience — him do I call a holy man.

400. He who is free from anger, is devout, virtuous, without craving, self-subdued and bears his final body — him do I call a holy man.
    If just practicing it makes you a holy man (or woman!), then yes I would say it's holy.

:)
  • Buddhism is neither holy nor un-holy. It just is. That is the true answer.