Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finally realized what the obstacle is which was getting in the way of further progress with practice

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
This is what I need to know;

Is there a difference between these 5 things.

1. Enlightenment

2. Peace of 'mind'

3. 'Inner' peace

4. Liberation

5. Self-Realization

Ive realized that its this question which seems to be getting in the way of furthering my progress in practice, knowledge and life.

I feel that the reason some people (like me) hit a brick wall is because of everyones different versions and opinions on what Enlightenment or liberation is.. All the traditions have different opinions on what progress is, and people seem too attached to 'their own' tradition. But i would like to know 'your' thoughts about the 5 above..

If a 'Zen' master and 'Theravada' Master both met, would they disagree on what Enlightenment actually is?
Therefore would they both think the other is not fully enlightened, just because their tradition says different?

So then my question arises;

Is there a difference between these 5.

Comments

• If they're permanent, no difference.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ...and Zen Master and Theravada Master would themselves be aware enough to see that different terminologies often mean the same thing....

Alps and mountains, Rockies and Himalayas....

same things.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2012
    The most easy way to hit a brick wall is to get stuck in ideas. Better is just to practice, acknowledging that there are certain things you simply do not understand yet. Enlightenment will only be clear through an enlightening experience, not through words.

If the Zen and Therevada monk disagree or agree, won't help you any bit further. Their ideas of enlightenment will still be a finger pointing to the moon for you. Same if I started adding my ideas.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    If a 'Zen' master and 'Theravada' Master both met, would they disagree on what Enlightenment actually is?
    I don’t think they would bother, no.

My guess is that their realization would put them beyond quibbling and arguing over words and concepts.
    They would recognize something which goes deeper.
    They’d have a heart-to-heart connection.
  • If the Zen and Therevada monk disagree or agree, won't help you any bit further.
    I feel it would help me though.
    Because then, there is the answer.

If them 5 things are 'not' the same then i feel i can move foward.

I feel i have found a path to be at peace.. I feel like i can have ''peace of mind'' but i dont feel like i have attained enlightenment because i dont know what enlightenment is because its different to each person and tradition. So how can one know if hes enlightened if we cant agree on what enlightenment is?

But this is where i am at the minute;

For me personally, i would take away 1. 3. 4. and 5.
    and then im left with number 2. 'Peace of mind'

I believe that i have found a path to give me 'peace of mind'
    And i dont necessarily worry about 'enlightenment'

But then the reason i hit a brick wall sometimes, is because then people say 'peace of mind' isnt the complete end in buddhism etc etc.. AND then it hits me, maybe it was Buddhism and other 'buddhists' which were 'keeping me' from gaining Peace of mind, all because, i was always wanting that 'little bit extra' because other buddhist would tell me i havent gained anything yet because the sutra says this, or because buddha said that...

And i was finding myself getting LOST in the whole practice, until finally i found a path (yes, through buddhism/zen and meditation) which let me experience 'peace of mind' and im happy with it.

So i just wanted to ask everyone here what their opinon was on what will probably be my last Question on here. :-)

I feel like if the top 5 'are' the same. Then i must have gained enlightenment. ;-)
    because i have found a path where im at peace with mind.

(of course i dont believe i am enlightened, im not saying i am) but all im saying is that i have found a path where panic and anxiety have GONE) and i can just BE and LIVE my life finally as it is...

• If they're permanent, no difference.
    But everything is impermanent right?

Therefore, maybe Enlightenment is impermanent, Some days we could be enlightened, some days we're not.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2012

(of course i dont believe i am enlightened, im not saying i am) but all im saying is that i have found a path where panic and anxiety have GONE) and i can just BE and LIVE my life finally as it is...

And then you'll get sick and die. :)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012

1. Enlightenment

2. Peace of 'mind'

3. 'Inner' peace

4. Liberation

5. Self-Realization
    1. There are many different kinds or levels of enlightenment, so two persons talking about an enlightenment experience may not be talking about the same thing. See http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

Also, what the Buddha considers "awakening" is more precisely Stage 5 and 6 and onwards.

2. Peace of 'mind'/Inner peace can just be a state of calmness or a shamatha (calm-abiding) state where thoughts and attachments are temporarily dropped off or suppressed. This is a temporary state and does not necessarily entail any kind of insight or realization. Therefore it is NOT enlightenment. However it is also an important support along the path for the development of true wisdom leading to liberation.

Inner peace/tranquility is the fifth factor of the seven factors of enlightenment, by no means to be equated with enlightenment itself.

3. Same as 2.

4. Enlightenment is not necessarily liberation. Liberation in Buddhism entails liberation from all defilements, attachments, and the cycle of birth and death in samsara - the world of suffering. Suffering completely stops in liberation. I could equate Thusness Stage 5 enlightenment with say, stream entry, but it still takes practice - from stream entry to non-returner and arahat for the total elimination of all attachments, taints, defilements, fetters, etc preventing full liberation from suffering. It is like a jug - you can throw away the contents (e.g. a large chunk of afflictions gone after an initial awakening), but the smell can still linger and requires further purification to remove the subtle 'taints' or leftovers.

5. Self-Realization is often used to describe the I AM realization described in the link above, though not always the case.

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012
    If they're permanent, no difference.

Therefore, maybe Enlightenment is impermanent, Some days we could be enlightened, some days we're not.
    Buddha describes liberation as "unshakeable", not a state that can fall away, that "it is not possible that the bhikhu should fall from the timeless release of mind".

Any passing states are therefore not realization or liberation. It is like once learning to walk you never forget... once you see through delusion, it does not get unseen, even though remaining taints can still linger - and with the destruction of that, there is no more returning to suffering.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @zenmyste
    If you really found peace of mind, how can people - telling you that it is not Enlightenment - disturb you?
    Just curious.
  • xabirxabir Veteran

Therefore would they both think the other is not fully enlightened, just because their tradition says different?
    It is completely possible that a zen master and theravada master sees eye to eye on what enlightenment is.

But it depends not so much on tradition (a tradition itself can have many different understandings among its adherents), but on the individual person's own realization and experience. If they are similar, they see eye to eye. If not, then no.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012

I feel i have found a path to be at peace.. I feel like i can have ''peace of mind'' but i dont feel like i have attained enlightenment because i dont know what enlightenment is because its different to each person and tradition. So how can one know if hes enlightened if we cant agree on what enlightenment is?
    The traditions do not necessarily differ. There are many things in common which we all agree (though it depends in varying degrees between individual to individual).
    But this is where i am at the minute;

For me personally, i would take away 1. 3. 4. and 5.
    and then im left with number 2. 'Peace of mind'

I believe that i have found a path to give me 'peace of mind'
    And i dont necessarily worry about 'enlightenment'

But then the reason i hit a brick wall sometimes, is because then people say 'peace of mind' isnt the complete end in buddhism etc etc.. AND then it hits me, maybe it was Buddhism and other 'buddhists' which were 'keeping me' from gaining Peace of mind, all because, i was always wanting that 'little bit extra' because other buddhist would tell me i havent gained anything yet because the sutra says this, or because buddha said that...
    I do not think you "gained nothing" because inner peace is a very positive, wholesome and skillful mental quality, and nobody can deny that.

Agitation is unhelpful for the path towards enlightenment. But neither is laziness. Therefore apply Right Effort - one of the factors of the noble eightfold path.

The Buddha says:

And what, monks, is right effort?

(i) There is the case where a monk generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds and exerts his intent for the sake of the non-arising of evil, unskillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

(ii) He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds and exerts his intent for the sake of the abandonment of evil, unskillful qualities that have arisen.

(iii) He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds and exerts his intent for the sake of the arising of skillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

(iv) He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds and exerts his intent for the maintenance, non-confusion, increase, plenitude, development, and culmination of skillful qualities that have arisen:
    This, monks, is called right effort.
    And i was finding myself getting LOST in the whole practice, until finally i found a path (yes, through buddhism/zen and meditation) which let me experience 'peace of mind' and im happy with it.

So i just wanted to ask everyone here what their opinon was on what will probably be my last Question on here. :-)

I feel like if the top 5 'are' the same. Then i must have gained enlightenment. ;-)
    because i have found a path where im at peace with mind.

That is very good for you.

Peace of mind is more of a quality of shamatha. For enlightenment, it requires some form of insight practice - all traditions have them. It is a form of meditative practice that investigates the nature of dharma so that realization can arise. Both shamatha and insight are important for enlightenment.

• (of course i dont believe i am enlightened, im not saying i am) but all im saying is that i have found a path where panic and anxiety have GONE) and i can just BE and LIVE my life finally as it is...

And?

Its a natural part of life!
    We're all gonna get sick and die.

(Oh and a little secret but don't tell anyone, .....even buddha got sick and died too)

Shhh! ;-)
  • @zenmyste
    If you really found peace of mind, how can people - telling you that it is not Enlightenment - disturb you?
    Just curious.
    Because everything is impermanent. Even peace of mind.
    Nothing lasts!!

But what I'm saying is that I have found a way, to gain peace of mind again and again, even when something does distract or disturb me..and I can do this through having a certain practice!
  • Thanks to eveyone else for their opinions/comments!

Best wishes!

Zenmyste.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

1. Enlightenment

2. Peace of 'mind'

3. 'Inner' peace

4. Liberation

5. Self-Realization

I imagine another on the list could be "Not suffering!"; I've read that Enlightenment (or whatever you wish to call it) is an impossible concept to understand without experiencing it; a bit like 'love' could be a difficult concept to understand if you were some alien creature and had never experienced it. You could study about love, find out all about the hormones and chemical reactions that take place in the mind, but unless you actually realise it (experience it), you will never fully understand what love is.

Maybe it's a bit like that, so often stuff that's difficult to conceptualise is described in the negative, i.e. it's not suffering.

Just for interest the Bible does this too, it says "God wipes away the tears", but doesn't offer more than that (I'm not Christian, nor do I believe in a god deity; I'm just saying that some concepts are difficult or impossible to realise without the experience of them.).

And there is a school of thought that Enlightenment is pretty much exaggerated:

• Don't limit yourself with understanding. There are far more things to experience in life than just understanding. Some things are better left not understood. Intelligence will get you far in this world, but peace is better to be experienced than understood.
  • This is what I need to know;

1. Enlightenment

2. Peace of 'mind'

3. 'Inner' peace

4. Liberation

5. Self-Realization

I've read that Enlightenment (or whatever you wish to call it) is an impossible concept to understand without experiencing it; a bit like 'love' could be a difficult concept to understand if you were some alien creature and had never experienced it. You could study about love, find out all about the hormones and chemical reactions that take place in the mind, but unless you actually realise it (experience it), you will never fully understand what love is.

Makes sense, Thank you!
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Don't limit yourself with understanding. There are far more things to experience in life than just understanding. Some things are better left not understood. Intelligence will get you far in this world, but peace is better to be experienced than understood.
    Thanks DriedLeaf..
    Good words!
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    driedleaf:

I like this post too. Sometimes you've got to be free to be stupid, wrong, mistaken. Otherwise you've become a professional apologist for yourself, even if you are calling yourself 'Buddhism'.
  • And there is a school of thought that Enlightenment is pretty much exaggerated:

All that he's saying is that other peoples beliefs are false and that his are real and beautiful. That's what pretty much all religious leaders say...

• Therefore, maybe Enlightenment is impermanent, Some days we could be enlightened, some days we're not.
    Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Abu

• Therefore, maybe Enlightenment is impermanent, Some days we could be enlightened, some days we're not.

Abu
    Says who?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran

Abu
    Says who?
    Maybe its more clear to say that the impermanence is enlightenment.
  • @zenmyste

My impression is that you pick and choose teachings and authors to fit your own preferences, so I would not do the research for you.

Suffice it to say that enlightenment does not come and go, what comes and goes is not yet it.

Please feel free to continue your regularly scheduled programme however :)

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Maybe its more clear to say that the impermanence is enlightenment.
    It's not as easy as that, t.

Abu

Abu
    It is for some!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2012

And?

Its a natural part of life!
    We're all gonna get sick and die.

(Oh and a little secret but don't tell anyone, .....even buddha got sick and died too)

Shhh! ;-)
    It's easy to see it will happen to everybody else. It is not so easy to fully accept that it will happen to ourself. Why don't you go and sit with this? And really realize fully that this will happen.
    "Now when a man is truly wise,
    His constant task will surely be,
    This recollection about death,
    Blessed with such mighty potency."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/gunaratna/wheel102.html
    If you then don't feel the need to practice more and let go of more, I guess more suffering is needed. :p Because it is realizing how deep dukkha is that motivates the entire path. It's not just dying that is dukkha, but all conditioned experiences.

Metta!
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    And there is a school of thought that Enlightenment is pretty much exaggerated:

All that he's saying is that other peoples beliefs are false and that his are real and beautiful. That's what pretty much all religious leaders say...
    If that is what you think Jundo's main line of thought is, you are mistaken. To quote his own words, "There are many ways up the mountain-- still the same mountain." He is my teacher, after all.
  • "There are many ways up the mountain-- still the same mountain."
    BRILLIANT!
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited June 2012

A Zen practitioner said to a Theravada practitioner that enlightenment is not a thing, but an absence. Absence of greed, hatred, and delusion.

The Theravada was totally agree with that.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    *Moderator Note:*

Off-topic tit-for-tat discussion posts deleted.
    Please keep to topic, and don't use the forum as a platform to air your views about personal opinions regarding traditions or teachers - unless of course, that's the topic.
    (And I advise further caution if anyone should perceive that as a prompt or hint to begin one... )
    If you wish to argue the virtues or otherwise of personal matters, take it to PMs.
    That's all that needs saying, no response required.

Thanks.
    *Back to topic.*
  • zenmyste
    Yes, that's the clever part. Happiness isn't a thing, so it can last forever. It's uncaused, so it doesn't depend on you or any knowledge you may or may not have. Meditating and studying scriptures are symptoms of the path towards nibbana, rather than the causes of nibbana.

Think of a wind up soldier who marches as the clockwork mechanism unwinds - an observer sees the most important thing the toy is doing as marching, but really, the marching is just a side effect of the unwinding. What we call 'self' is this side effect.

• “My mind has attained the unconditioned.
    Achieved is the end of craving.”

(Dh.153-154 “Udana Vatthu”)

And what, bhikkhus, is craving?

There are these six classes of craving:

craving for forms (sights),
    craving for sounds,
    craving for odours,
    craving for tastes,
    craving for tactile objects,
    craving for mental constructions.

This is called craving.

“Monks, there are four (modes of) clinging.
    Which four?

Sensuality clinging,
    view clinging,
    habit-&-practice (rites & rituals) clinging, and
    doctrines-of-the-self clinging.”

(MN 11)

He has no uncertainty or doubt that just stress, when arising, is arising; stress, when passing away, is passing away. In this, his knowledge is independent of others. It's to this extent, Kaccayana, that there is right view.

Kaccayanagotta Sutta

This state of complete freedom from craving should be unshakeable and completely independent of what others do or say.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2012
    zenmyste
    Yes, that's the clever part. Happiness isn't a thing, so it can last forever.
    Happiness is a 'feeling'.. and feelings, like everything else, are also impermanent...
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Think of two times in your life, one of which was happy, the other sad. Try to find the exact phenomenon that represents the difference between those times.

Abu
    It is for some!
    Aren't you the person who thinks enlightenment comes and goes ?
    :lol:
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2012
    “My mind has attained the unconditioned.
    Achieved is the end of craving.”

(Dh.153-154 “Udana Vatthu”)

And what, bhikkhus, is craving?

There are these six classes of craving:

craving for forms (sights),
    craving for sounds,
    craving for odours,
    craving for tastes,
    craving for tactile objects,
    craving for mental constructions.

This is called craving.

“Monks, there are four (modes of) clinging.
    Which four?

Sensuality clinging,
    view clinging,
    habit-&-practice (rites & rituals) clinging, and
    doctrines-of-the-self clinging.”

(MN 11)

He has no uncertainty or doubt that just stress, when arising, is arising; stress, when passing away, is passing away. In this, his knowledge is independent of others. It's to this extent, Kaccayana, that there is right view.

Kaccayanagotta Sutta

This state of complete freedom from craving should be unshakeable and completely independent of what others do or say.
    At least Buddha had it right :cool:

Fresh air!

Thanks @pegembara

Abu
    It is for some!
    Aren't you the person who thinks enlightenment comes and goes ?
    :lol:
    Yep!!
  • Enlightenment is a feeling, an understanding..
    Feelings are impermanent. They come and go.
    Therefore enlightenment is impermanent.
    There is no such thing as a permanent feeling or state.

(My opinion)

"Everything is impermanent"

The quote says it all. You can't pick and choose what's impermanent. Either everything is, or 'everything isn't'..

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Enlightenment is a feeling, an understanding..
    Feelings are impermanent. They come and go.
    Therefore enlightenment is impermanent.
    There is no such thing as a permanent feeling or state.

(My opinion)

"Everything is impermanent"

The quote says it all. You can't pick and choose what's impermanent. Either everything is, or 'everything isn't'..

I found someone who agrees with you

In Buddhism, enlightenment is neither a feeling nor an understanding nor a state

Best wishes,
    Abu

PS And to CLARIFY, I think your understanding is fine, I am just saying that the Buddhist approach is somewhat different. Enjoy yourself.
  • You can't pick and choose what's impermanent. Either everything is, or 'everything isn't'..
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know that it is either one way or the other?

• I found someone who agrees with you

I think this guy tells it better.