Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bringing attention to peace

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited June 2012 in Philosophy
Split from another thread --
Floating Abu
It wasn't about usefulness, it was about accuracy.
It was an accurate correction.
PrairieGhost firstly claimed:

In Buddhist terminology we could argue that passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder etc. That attention, (and Floating Abu, sorry, but it is in the Pali Canon and is Buddhism) should be directed towards nibbana, or peace, but...

PrairieGhost then brings an out of context alternately translated phrase:

He gives attention to imperturbability. While he is giving attention to imperturbability, his mind enters into imperturbability and acquires confidence, steadiness, and decision. When that is so, he understands thus: ‘While I am giving attention to imperturbability, my mind enters into imperturbability and acquires confidence, steadiness, and decision.’ In this way he has full awareness of that.

This is a meditation reference. And the alternate translation blows your connection i.e. the word "attention": http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.122.than.html

How does your out of context quote back up your claim that Buddhism says attention should be directed towards nibbana, or peace.

And is nibbana a place now or is it now just the word imperturability?

Additionally, in the context of all this - how does one change one's habits using this claim you have made (but cannot back up)

Finally for credibility, please explain where Buddhism says that "passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder"

Quote sutras or authentic teachers in context.

Abu

Comments

• @PrairieGhost

It's pretty simple - you made points and they were examined. You claimed they were fact but on closer examination that does not seem to be in line with the teachings, that's all.

To not hijack this thread further, I will not comment further in here, but if you have an answer, provide it in a new thread, or I can start one.

Abu
  • Floating Abu
    Finally for credibility, please explain where Buddhism says that "passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder"
    From the Pali scriptures:
    Here, Hemaka,
    with regard to pleasant things
    seen, heard, felt, & cognized,
    There is: the dispelling of passion & desire,
    the deathless state of Unbinding.
    Those who, knowing this, mindful,
    fully extinguished/unbound
    in the here & now,
    are forever calmed
    have gone beyond
    entanglement in the world.
    Sn v.9

From the Mahayana Bodhisattva vows
    However innumerable beings are, I vow to save them;
    However inexhaustible the passions are, I vow to extinguish them;
    However immeasurable the Dharmas are, I vow to master them;
    However incomparable the Buddha-truth is, I vow to attain it.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/mzb/mzb01.htm
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Hi Floating Abu

You say meditation instructions are out of context, but at later stages there is no duality between meditation and any other activity. Meditation is just sitting.

Imperturbable is synonymous with peace, attends to is synonymous or close to being synonymous with bringing attention to, attend and attention are from the same root. I'd say the former has more of an active connotation than the latter, however.
    Verb 1. attend to - get down to; pay attention to; take seriously; "Attend to your duties, please"
    take to heart
    bear in mind, mind - keep in mind
    neglect, omit, leave out, pretermit, overleap, overlook, miss, drop - leave undone or leave out; "How could I miss that typo?"; "The workers on the conveyor belt miss one out of ten"
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/attend+to
    edited June 2012
    Nibbana is not a place, no. The word has many synonyms:
    14. The peaceful
    http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Thirty-three_synonyms_for_Nibbana
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Hi @PrairieGhost

The common Mayahana Buddhist vows are as follows:

Please reference:
    THE GREAT VOWS FOR ALL

Shigu Siegan Mon
    Shujo mu hen sei gan do
    The many beings are numberless, I vow to save them;
    Bonno mu jin sei gan dan
    Greed, hatred, and ignorance rise endlessly, I vow to abandon them;
    Ho mon mu ryo sei gan gaku
    Dharma gates are countless, I vow to wake to them;
    Butsu do mu jo sei gan jo
    The Buddha's way is unsurpassed, I vow to embody it fully.

- Diamond Sangha, lineage Aitken Roshi

1. Sentient beings are numberless. We vow to save them all.
    2. Delusions are endless. We vow to cut through them all.
    3. The teachings are infinite. We vow to learn them all.
    4. The Buddha Way is inconceivable. We vow to attain it.

- Kwan Um School, lineage Seung Sahn
    Sentient beings are numberless. I vow to save them.
    Desires are inexhaustible. I vow to put an end to them.
    The dharma is boundless. I vow to master them.
    The Buddha’s way is unsurpassable. I vow to attain it.

- SFZC, lineage Shunryu Suzuki
    Finally, the translation you bring --

However innumerable beings are, I vow to save them;
    However inexhaustible the passions are, I vow to extinguish them;
    However immeasurable the Dharmas are, I vow to master them;
    However incomparable the Buddha-truth is, I vow to attain it.
    These are endless vows, please know that.

It is different to your initial claim: "passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder"

Therefore, this is no evidence at all of it.

I will address your other point regarding passion shortly.

Best wishes,
    Abu
    edited June 2012

From the Pali scriptures:
    Here, Hemaka,
    with regard to pleasant things
    seen, heard, felt, & cognized,
    There is: the dispelling of passion & desire,
    the deathless state of Unbinding.
    Those who, knowing this, mindful,
    fully extinguished/unbound
    in the here & now,
    are forever calmed
    have gone beyond
    entanglement in the world.

Sn v.9

Please provide the link to this sutra as you have a habit of providing quotes out of context.

And even before then, please note the defintion of dispel:
    transitive verb
    : to drive away by or as if by scattering : dissipate

Examples of DISPEL

- This report should dispel any doubts you have about the plan.
    - She made an official statement to dispel any rumors about her retirement.
    - The experience dispelled some of our fears about the process.
    Webster

Note regardless, that the phrase quoted is a description of the Deathless -- and it is entirely different to your claim that Buddhism says: "passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder"

This is an example where we spread and mis-spread our own understandings. Of course I am also guilty to this, but it should be clearly noted - for ourself and others.

Abu
  • The best-known metaphor for the goal is the name nibbāna (nirvāṇa), which means the extinguishing of a fire. Attempts to work out the implications of this metaphor have all too often taken it out of context. Some writers, drawing on modern, everyday notions of fire, come to the conclusion that nibbāna implies extinction, as we feel that a fire goes out of existence when extinguished. Others, however, note that the Vedas — ancient Indian religious texts that predate Buddhism by many thousands of years — describe fire as immortal: Even when extinguished it simply goes into hiding, in a latent, diffused state, only to be reborn when a new fire is lit. These writers then assume that the Buddha accepted the Vedic theory in its entirety, and so maintain that nibbāna implies eternal existence.

The weakness of both these interpretations is that they do not take into account the way the Pali Canon describes (1) the workings of fire, (2) the limits beyond which no phenomenon may be described, and (3) the precise implications that the Buddha himself drew from his metaphor in light of (1) & (2). The purpose of this essay is to place this metaphor in its original context to show what it was and was not meant to imply.

Any discussion of the way the Buddha used the term nibbāna must begin with the distinction that there are two levels of nibbāna (or, to use the original terminology, two nibbāna properties). The first is the nibbāna experienced by a person who has attained the goal and is still alive. This is described metaphorically as the extinguishing of passion, aversion, & delusion.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/likefire/1.html
  • "The intellect is aflame. Ideas are aflame. Consciousness at the intellect is aflame. Contact at the intellect is aflame. And whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the intellect — experienced as pleasure, pain or neither-pleasure-nor-pain — that too is aflame. Aflame with what? Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion. Aflame, I say, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs....

...Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.028.than.html

• Hi Floating Abu

You say meditation instructions are out of context, but at later stages there is no duality between meditation and any other activity. Meditation is just sitting.

Imperturbable is synonymous with peace, attends to is synonymous or close to being synonymous with bringing attention to, attend and attention are from the same root. I'd say the former has more of an active connotation than the latter, however.
    Verb 1. attend to - get down to; pay attention to; take seriously; "Attend to your duties, please"
    take to heart
    bear in mind, mind - keep in mind
    neglect, omit, leave out, pretermit, overleap, overlook, miss, drop - leave undone or leave out; "How could I miss that typo?"; "The workers on the conveyor belt miss one out of ten"
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/attend+to
    One cannot bring attention to peace, but one can be genuinely peaceful.

These are other parts of the sutra you quoted, which you conveniently forget:

So, Ananda, if a monk should wish, 'May I enter & remain in internal emptiness,' then he should get the mind steadied right within, settled, unified, & concentrated. And how does the monk get the mind steadied right within, settled, unified, & concentrated? There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensual pleasures, withdrawn from unskillful qualities — enters & remains in the first jhana... the second jhana... the third jhana... the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain. That is how a monk gets the mind steadied right within, settled, unified, & concentrated.

"He attends to internal emptiness. While he is attending to internal emptiness, his mind does not take pleasure, find satisfaction, grow steady, or indulge in internal emptiness. When this is the case, he discerns, 'While I am attending to internal emptiness, my mind does not take pleasure, find satisfaction, grow steady, or indulge in internal emptiness.' In this way he is alert there.

"He attends to external emptiness...[2]

"He attends to internal & external emptiness...

"He attends to the imperturbable.[3] While he is attending to the imperturbable, his mind does not take pleasure, find satisfaction, grow steady, or indulge in the imperturbable. When this is the case, he discerns, 'While I am attending to the imperturbable, my mind does not take pleasure, find satisfaction, grow steady, or indulge in the imperturbable.' In this way he is alert there.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.122.than.html
    The Buddha's instructions for deep meditation, jhanas etc is a specific context for guidance.

For you to generalise it out as saying one should direct attention to "peace" as you say is incorrect.

If you are faced with a life situation, a life threatening one, will you be directing your attention to peace?

All I am saying is your understandings need to be reconsidered and not in the light of an internet chat forum - go find a real teacher and a real Sangha who won't put up with your half baked understandings.

Well wishes,
    Abu

• Floating Abu
    Please provide the link to this sutra as you have a habit of providing quotes out of context.
    Hi. can't find the sutta in it's entirety, but the quote is from writing by Ven Thanissaro;

http://www.here-and-now.org/wwwArticles/nibbana2.html
  • Floating Abu,

I don't find your rebuttals compelling, but I'll give them further consideration, and your other comments too. As I said before, I'm happy to leave this where it is.
  • The best-known metaphor for the goal is the name nibbāna (nirvāṇa), which means the extinguishing of a fire. Attempts to work out the implications of this metaphor have all too often taken it out of context. Some writers, drawing on modern, everyday notions of fire, come to the conclusion that nibbāna implies extinction, as we feel that a fire goes out of existence when extinguished. Others, however, note that the Vedas — ancient Indian religious texts that predate Buddhism by many thousands of years — describe fire as immortal: Even when extinguished it simply goes into hiding, in a latent, diffused state, only to be reborn when a new fire is lit. These writers then assume that the Buddha accepted the Vedic theory in its entirety, and so maintain that nibbāna implies eternal existence.

The weakness of both these interpretations is that they do not take into account the way the Pali Canon describes (1) the workings of fire, (2) the limits beyond which no phenomenon may be described, and (3) the precise implications that the Buddha himself drew from his metaphor in light of (1) & (2). The purpose of this essay is to place this metaphor in its original context to show what it was and was not meant to imply.

Any discussion of the way the Buddha used the term nibbāna must begin with the distinction that there are two levels of nibbāna (or, to use the original terminology, two nibbāna properties). The first is the nibbāna experienced by a person who has attained the goal and is still alive. This is described metaphorically as the extinguishing of passion, aversion, & delusion.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/likefire/1.html
    You missed the key point, it is the clinging, the attachment that is the problem.

To understand further what is meant by the unbinding of the mind, it is also important to know that the word upādāna — the sustenance for the fire — also means clinging, and that according to the Buddha the mind has four forms of clinging that keep it in bondage: clinging to sensuality, to views, to precepts & practices, and to doctrines of the self. In each case, the clinging is the passion & desire the mind feels for these things. To overcome this clinging, then, the mind must see not only the drawbacks of these four objects of clinging, but, more importantly, the drawbacks of the act of passion & desire itself.

The mind does this by following a threefold training: virtue, concentration, & discernment. Virtue provides the joy & freedom from remorse that are essential for concentration. Concentration provides an internal basis of pleasure, rapture, equanimity, & singleness of mind that are not dependent on sensual objects, so that discernment can have the strength & stability it needs to cut through the mind's clingings.

i.e. A rich person does not need to burn all their belongings to be a Buddhist because the source and the problem is the mind, it is not the object.

Buddhism encourages clarity, insight and genuine understanding - not half baked ideas.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Floating Abu
    The Buddha's instructions for deep meditation, jhanas etc is a specific context for guidance.

For you to generalise it out as saying one should direct attention to "peace" as you say is incorrect.
    The whole practice, everything about it, is for bringing our attention to nibbana, which is described as the peaceful.

• Floating Abu
    i.e. A rich person does not need to burn all their belongings to be a Buddhist because the source and the problem is the mind, it is not the object.
    I agree, but don't see that this addresses the extract or my posts.
  • "The intellect is aflame. Ideas are aflame. Consciousness at the intellect is aflame. Contact at the intellect is aflame. And whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the intellect — experienced as pleasure, pain or neither-pleasure-nor-pain — that too is aflame. Aflame with what? Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion. Aflame, I say, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs....

...Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.028.than.html

So based on this supreme logic you are displaying, you will you get rid of the intellect without remainder as well? Ideas? Consciousness? Contact?

Anything that is "aflame"?

You are quoting completely without any understanding of what you are talking about. A word match does not equate to an understanding. Please stop misrepresenting the Buddha's teachings, and if you intend to continue, then at least you should be aware of yourself.

Abu
    edited June 2012
    Floating Abu
    I agree, but don't see that this addresses the extract or my posts.
    Well if you actually read the article, (rather than just bolding any word that says passion) you would see the point was the clinging - and nothing that you have provided proves your lie that Buddhism teaches "passions must be ended without a remainder"

But perhaps you are too enarmored with your"self" to read the facts.

Abu
  • Floating Abu

The whole practice, everything about it, is for bringing our attention to nibbana, which is described as the peaceful.

Given all your "evidence" is completely refuted, you are really showing your true colors. :)
  • The texts say quite clearly that passion is to be ended.

If you look back at my original point, it takes into account what you say here:
    So based on this supreme logic you are displaying, you will you get rid of the intellect without remainder as well? Ideas? Consciousness? Contact?
    As I criticised the kind of narrow view you attribute to me above.
    In Buddhist terminology we could argue that passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder etc. That attention, (and Floating Abu, sorry, but it is in the Pali Canon and is Buddhism) should be directed towards nibbana, or peace, but...

In my opinion, the way you mean this sentence:

Maybe if we had even a bit more passion about that things would change.

Is far closer to what the Buddha intended than what a lot of Buddhists mean when they talk about peace and cessation in a supposedly orthodox fashion.
  • Floating Abu
    Given all your "evidence" is completely refuted, you are really showing your true colors.
    Then you have done your work, and we can end this now.
  • The texts say quite clearly that passion is to be ended.
    :screwy:
    edited June 2012
    Nibbana is not a place, no. The word has many synonyms:
    14. The peaceful
    http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Thirty-three_synonyms_for_Nibbana
    From DhammaWiki - 33 synonyms for Nibbana

And you are talking about nibbana.

How sad.
    edited June 2012

Then you have done your work, and we can end this now.
    The situation was simply for someone who claims Buddhism says this or that definitively, it would seem fair to examine those claims closer. Upon examination, when in this case as they are shown to be inconsistent in the light of the Buddha's teachings -- well the reactions have been surprising but informative, and that has been instructive.

Abu
  • I do not concede that is so, but you believe it so strongly that I will study the thread later on and consider your points in depth.
  • Just find a good teacher if you want a chance - preferably one who is not enarmored by your 'theories'

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_enlightenment

The Arhat is one who has no more fetters. This is the dualistic vision of Buddhism. Where one realizes nirvana, yet the world is seen apart from self. Thus one attains peace, yet everything around is still suffering.

In Mahayana personal peace isn't necessarily the final goal though it is still realized on the path. This non dualistic vision of Buddhism teaches emptiness of self and phenomena. Thus coming to the conclusion that phenomena and self have no distinction. Appearance of suffering is non dual. Meaning anothers or our suffering is just suffering, thus compassion naturally arises. Both suffering and compassion are spontaneous arisings of emptiness itself. Thus even peace is seen to be the inherent condition of self and phenomena.

In the first stream of thought the vision of nirvana is narrow.

Whereas in Mahayana the vision is that of enlightenment, which leads to nirvana, but not necessarily the end goal.

Ignorance or rather the capacity for sentient beings to suffer is infinite.
    Wisdom or the capacity to see directly the emptiness as suchness is infinite.

Just sharing some theories. I don't necessarily believe any of this but its just food for thought.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    I guess I need to clarify some points:

In the path of the Arhat, one needs to extinguish the fetters through renouncing. Thus karmic habits are not formed or planted. Thus the Arhat is able to abide in Nirvana without having to worry about afflictive emotions, etc.

Whereas in the Bodhisattva path, the fetters are extinguished through renouncing and cultivating positive karma. The goal is full Buddhahood and all the qualities of a Buddha.

In Vajrayana the goal is to transform the negative emotions and thoughts into positive ones through working with the energies. Thus nothing is lost but everything is used for the sake of enlightenment. This is structured on top of the Bodhisattva path.

In Dzogchen nothing is transformed or renounced. Ones real condition is introduced by the guru and all practices revolve around recognizing one's natural state, which is enlightenment.

The whole bringing attention to peace is part of the dualistic vision of Buddhism. Where one actively renounces harm and negativity so that one can cultivate concentration and ultimately allow wisdom to fruition. Thus realizing peace.

In the non dual vision of Buddhism nirvana and samsara corresponds with wisdom and ignorance. Wisdom is the recognition of owns own natural state. Ignorance is falling into dualism thus not recognizing the natural state.

Just more info.
    edited June 2012
    Floating Abu:
    Just find a good teacher if you want a chance - preferably one who is not enarmored by your 'theories'
    I think you need to take the Buddha for a teacher, and study the nikayas in depth.
    "And which is comprehension? Any ending of passion, ending of aversion, ending of delusion. [1] This is called comprehension."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.023.than.html
    "There is an intellect in the Blessed One. The Blessed One knows ideas with the intellect. There is no desire or passion in the Blessed One. The Blessed One is well-released in mind.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.191.than.html

I showed quite clearly that

a. nibbana is regarded as the peaceful, and of course we are to bring our attention to peace.

b. In Buddhism passion is to be ended

Now I am not dogmatic on these points, their effectiveness as doctrine is conditional on many factors.

But to be frank, the important point is the graceless way in which you have conducted this debate, which I think will be clear to anyone reading; and this kind of behavior is dealt with in the following extracts from the Pali Canon:
    "Monks, do not wage wordy warfare, saying: 'You don't understand this Dhamma and discipline, I understand this Dhamma and discipline'; 'How could you understand it? You have fallen into wrong practices: I have the right practice'; 'You have said afterwards what you should have said first, and you have said first what you should have said afterwards';[1] 'What I say is consistent, what you say isn't'; 'What you have thought out for so long is entirely reversed'; 'Your statement is refuted'; 'You are talking rubbish!'; 'You are in the wrong'; 'Get out of that if you can!'

"Why should you not do this? Such talk, monks, is not related to the goal, it is not fundamental to the holy life, does not conduce to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment or to Nibbana. When you have discussions, monks, you should discuss Suffering, the Arising of Suffering, its Cessation, and the Path that leads to its Cessation. Why is that? Because such talk is related to the goal... it conduces to disenchantment... to Nibbana. This is the task you must accomplish."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.012.than.html

[Matali:]
    Could it be you're afraid, Sakka,
    Or weak, that you forbear like this,
    Though hearing such insulting words
    From the mouth of Vepacitti?

[Sakka:]
    I am neither afraid nor weak,
    Yet I forbear Vepacitti.
    How is it one who knows, like me,
    Would get provoked by such a fool?

More angry will a fool become
    If no one puts a stop to him.
    So let the wise restrain the fool
    By the use of a mighty stick.

This is the only thing, I deem,
    That will put a stop to the fool:
    Knowing well the other's anger,
    One is mindful and remains calm.

This very forbearance of yours,
    Sakka, I see as a mistake.
    For when a fool reckons like this:
    "From fear of me he does forbear,"
    The dolt will come on stronger still
    — Like a bull the more that one flees.

Let him think whatever he likes:
    "From fear of me he does forbear."
    Among ideals and highest goods
    None better than patience is found.

For surely he who, being strong,
    Forbears the ones who are more weak
    — Forever enduring the weak —
    That is called the highest patience.

For whom strength is the strength of fools,
    It is said of the strong "He's weak!"
    For the strong, guarding the dhamma,
    Contentiousness is never found.

It is indeed a fault for one
    Who returns anger for anger.
    Not giving anger for anger,
    One wins a double victory.

He behaves for the good of both:
    Himself and the other person.
    Knowing well the other's anger,
    He is mindful and remains calm.

In this way he is healing both:
    Himself and the other person.
    The people who think "He's a fool,"
    Just don't understand the dhamma.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn11/sn11.004.olen.html
    I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Rajagaha in the Bamboo Grove, the Squirrels' Sanctuary. Then the brahman Akkosaka[1] Bharadvaja heard that a brahman of the Bharadvaja clan had gone forth from the home life into homelessness in the presence of the Blessed One. Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him: "What do you think, brahman: Do friends & colleagues, relatives & kinsmen come to you as guests?"

"Yes, Master Gotama, sometimes friends & colleagues, relatives & kinsmen come to me as guests."

"And what do you think: Do you serve them with staple & non-staple foods & delicacies?"

"Yes, sometimes I serve them with staple & non-staple foods & delicacies."

"And if they don't accept them, to whom do those foods belong?"

"If they don't accept them, Master Gotama, those foods are all mine."

"In the same way, brahman, that with which you have insulted me, who is not insulting; that with which you have taunted me, who is not taunting; that with which you have berated me, who is not berating: that I don't accept from you. It's all yours, brahman. It's all yours.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn07/sn07.002.than.html
    edited June 2012
    Hi PrairieGhost

Your 'apparent' manners belie your depth.

You did not respond to any of the points above which clearly show the mistaken nature of your understandings. The most comical one was where you posted an article about 'fire' and forgot to read the point of teaching was the clinging -- not the fire itself.
    You conveniently respond to what is convenient for your game.

Anyway I am happy you found new quotes to back you up. Let's look at them again, one at a time:

I think you need to take the Buddha for a teacher, and study the nikayas in depth.
    "And which is comprehension? Any ending of passion, ending of aversion, ending of delusion. [1] This is called comprehension."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.023.than.html
    Here is the full sutra:

At Savatthi. "Monks, I will teach you the phenomena to be comprehended, as well as comprehension. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "And which are the phenomena to be comprehended? Form is a phenomenon to be comprehended. Feeling ... Perception ... Fabrications ... Consciousness is a phenomenon to be comprehended. These are called phenomena to be comprehended.

Note

Comprehension here means the arahant's full-knowing (see MN 117). As SN 56.11 shows, the first noble truth of suffering and stress is to be comprehended. As SN 56.20 further implies, when the first noble truth has been comprehended, the tasks with regard to all the other noble truths have been completed as well.

What the Buddha says is correct. Comprehension is the ending of greed, hatred and delusion ie. the realisation of the Four Noble Truths in this context.
    It is the Buddha's way of enuncation of this again. Any ending of delusion is a comprehension. If you see through that now, you have comprehended with insight into the realisation of truth. And so it is with anger, with greed, with fabrications etc.

But it is not as you say to cease passions without remainder.

Perhaps you imagine through your readings that a Buddha is a robot perhaps, with no passion?

• I don't say that at all. I say
    There is no desire or passion in the Blessed One.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    It all comes down to different stylistic expressions of Buddhism.

The Fundemental vehicle is the ending of all passions, fetters, and what not.

This is where Mahayana diverges.
    The Mahayana vehicle does ends negative passions but places emphasis on developing positive passions. Because individual peace is not enough. The vision is non dualistic and such positive qualities are manifested for the benefit of the whole existence, which in essence is the truth body that we all share.
  • "There is an intellect in the Blessed One. The Blessed One knows ideas with the intellect. There is no desire or passion in the Blessed One. The Blessed One is well-released in mind.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.191.than.html

I showed quite clearly that

Thanks, this is the closest one you have actually brought that has some credibility.

Please note the alternate translation which gives you the SPECIFIC translation of the word you call passion in this text.

"Thus it should be understood that the eye is not the fetter..., the tongue..., the mind..., but that based on these two desire and lust arise, and they are the fetter. The Blessed One, friend, has eyes, he sees objects with the eye. But in the Blessed One there is no desire or lust. The Blessed One's heart is completely liberated. The Blessed One has a tongue..., a mind, he knows thoughts with the mind. But in the Blessed One there is no desire or lust. The Blessed One's heart is completely liberated. Thus it should be understood that the eye is not the fetter..., the tongue..., the mind, but that based on these two desire and lust arise, and they are the fetter.

"Thus it should be understood that the eye is not the fetter..., the tongue..., the mind..., but that based on these two desire and lust arise, and they are the fetter. The Blessed One, friend, has eyes, he sees objects with the eye. But in the Blessed One there is no desire or lust. The Blessed One's heart is completely liberated. The Blessed One has a tongue..., a mind, he knows thoughts with the mind. But in the Blessed One there is no desire or lust. The Blessed One's heart is completely liberated. Thus it should be understood that the eye is not the fetter..., the tongue..., the mind, but that based on these two desire and lust arise, and they are the fetter."

And the specific translation for what you call passions is actually:

Chandaraaga. Chanda is, as such, an ethically neutral term for "intention," etc. But in combination with raaga "lust, greed," it is definitely unwholesome. It is this state, based on the coexistence of eye and sight-objects, etc., that constitutes the "fetter."

• Floating Abu
    I cannot prove to you that I am calm and bear you no ill will, but wish for you only good things, the best of all, though it is true.

In the absence of that proof, you must at least accept that apparent manners are better than none.

It is good to take the suttas I posted to heart. At first one has to struggle to apply them, but in time it becomes one's effortless nature. In between, there comes a point when we directly see the suffering we cause ourselves from not heeding their advice.

I am at the limit of my skill now. I see the impermanence of the hope that you will let this go, and allow that others see differently to you, and see that there is a better way to discuss the dhamma than through animosity.
    edited June 2012
    I don't say that at all. I say
    Wow, you really do lie unabashedly. :(

In Buddhist terminology we could argue that passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder etc.
    That attention, (and Floating Abu, sorry, but it is in the Pali Canon and is Buddhism) should be directed towards nibbana, or peace, but...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/286719#Comment_286719

That was your initial statement, which you have been failing to be able to back up ever since. Or have you forgotten completely in your word searches.

And the person who said 'There is no desire or passion in the Blessed One.' was Thanissaro's translation above. Now you are trying to take his words as your own. Too bad.

Abu
    edited June 2012
    Floating Abu, I see that when the Buddha says
    it is correct.

I also see that when this is interpreted as Buddhas being robots, the same words are incorrect.

That was the original point which sparked this whole thread, and it appears this is your view also.

You also selectively quoted me. The quote should read:

(me)

(ozen)

(me)
    Is far closer to what the Buddha intended than what a lot of Buddhists mean when they talk about peace and cessation in a supposedly orthodox fashion.
  • Floating Abu
    Wow, you really do lie unabashedly. Straight faced lie.
    So you won't stop the ad-hominems.
  • I showed quite clearly that

a. nibbana is regarded as the peaceful, and of course we are to bring our attention to peace.

b. In Buddhism passion is to be ended

Now I am not dogmatic on these points, their effectiveness as doctrine is conditional on many factors.

But to be frank, the important point is the graceless way in which you have conducted this debate, which I think will be clear to anyone reading; and this kind of behavior is dealt with in the following extracts from the Pali Canon:
    a. Nibbana as peaceful is a characteristic of Nibbana - it is not the definition of Nibbana. :)

b. No, that is not true.

Every point you brought was false. Only the last quoted sutra was more credible as at least you did not divert the points or misrepresent the meaning - but please kindly reference the alternate translation, which might be better.

Thanks for the Pali Canon sutras, I agree with them.

It's also standard practice to understand the teachings before you go around spreading them as fact. When in doubt, quote.

I hope you have a good path, you have a good mind.

Abu
  • Floating Abu
    Thanks for the Pali Canon sutras, I agree with them.
    Try to live by their spirit.
    edited June 2012
    Every point you brought was false.
    I don't think there was even enough doubt about the points I made for a sensible debate to be constructed out of it. Hence this has been a silly debate which I have very little interest in.
  • Floating Abu
    Wow, you really do lie unabashedly. Straight faced lie.
    So you won't stop the ad-hominems.
    This is a fact:

Definition of lie -

1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
    2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture:
    3. an inaccurate or false statement.
    Floating Abu said:

But it is not as you say to cease passions without remainder.

Perhaps you imagine through your readings that a Buddha is a robot perhaps, with no passion?
    PrairieGhost said:

I don't say that at all. I say
    Floating Abu referenced -

In Buddhist terminology we could argue that passion is absolutely to be ended without remainder etc.
    That attention, (and Floating Abu, sorry, but it is in the Pali Canon and is Buddhism) should be directed towards nibbana, or peace, but...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/286719#Comment_286719
    Floating Abu said: That was your initial statement, which you have been failing to be able to back up ever since. Or have you forgotten completely in your word searches.

And the person who said 'There is no desire or passion in the Blessed One.' was Thanissaro's translation above. Now you are trying to take his words as your own. Too bad.
    @PrairieGhost - I will say it again.

You have lied and unabashedly.

Hiding under the ad-hominem, niceties game is just a facade.

You made the statements definitively - i.e. completely false statements, and misrepresentations.

It's very obvious. Why do you want to hide from what you have done?

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Floating Abu
    I cannot prove to you that I am calm and bear you no ill will, but wish for you only good things, the best of all, though it is true.

In the absence of that proof, you must at least accept that apparent manners are better than none.

It is good to take the suttas I posted to heart. At first one has to struggle to apply them, but in time it becomes one's effortless nature. In between, there comes a point when we directly see the suffering we cause ourselves from not heeding their advice.

I am at the limit of my skill now. I see the impermanence of the hope that you will let this go, and allow that others see differently to you, and see that there is a better way to discuss the dhamma than through animosity.
    Yeah all the politicians and diplomats I meet also have the best manners in the world. Bar none.

Sorry, but I am more interested in the substance than facades, but granted being nice is nice for the social wheels. And generally we are nice to nice people.

I generally don't like people who lie outright etc. i.e. actions speak louder than words.

Yes and your effortless nature is really shining through :rolleyes:

I'm sure someone will believe you, probably yourself for one...

Abu
  • Can you please not quote me out of context?
    (me)

(ozen)

(me)
    I have not lied, nor were my statements incorrect.
  • Floating Abu
    Yes and your effortless nature is really shining through
    It is not absolutely effortless for me at present to keep equanimity through this debate with you, but it is not difficult either. It is very good practice for me.

• You also selectively quoted me. The quote should read:

(me)

(ozen)

(me)
    nods, I didn't notice it -- Thanks very much for adding this.

But this is also very interesting -- So now you are saying that your whole argument in this thread was arguing against yourself as you are now saying that some passion is needed?

Maybe you are just completely unclear?

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Every point you brought was false.
    I don't think there was even enough doubt about the points I made for a sensible debate to be constructed out of it. Hence this has been a silly debate which I have very little interest in.
    Yes your incomprehension of the discussion points and associated incoherence seems only to be superceded by your sense of certainty.

Very interesting indeed.

No interest, nice touch :ninja:
  • Floating Abu
    But this is also very interesting -- So now you are saying that your whole argument in this thread was arguing against yourself as you are now saying that some passion is needed?
    No, it is you who are arguing against yourself, since you lack the subtlety to see that even correct teachings can be interpreted incorrectly. Actually, I don't think you lack that subtlety all the time, I just think you don't read very carefully when you are trying to win what you see as a fight.
  • Can you please not quote me out of context?
    (me)

(ozen)

(me)
    I have not lied, nor were my statements incorrect.
    Well the mystery certainly deepened seemingly as you were arguing against (with all your capacity and word skills) what you say was not necessary

i.e passion does not need to be ended without remainder now apparently

So make up your mind - you are lying or you are just confused

Does passion need to be ended as you have been arguing through this WHOLE time

Or

Should there be passion left?

:facepalm:
  • Floating Abu
    Yes and your effortless nature is really shining through
    It is not absolutely effortless for me at present to keep equanimity through this debate with you, but it is not difficult either. It is very good practice for me.
    Your so called equanimity is the same that the politicians have when they have a crowd watching :D
  • Floating Abu
    No, it is you who are arguing against yourself, since you lack the subtlety to see that even correct teachings can be interpreted incorrectly. Actually, I don't think you lack that subtlety all the time, I just think you don't read very carefully when you are trying to win what you see as a fight.
    I finally got it, you are a complete politician.

Changing the story, the lies, the lines to suit your arguments, image and self preservation.

Well your quotes don't lie unfortunately for you but I grant you, you are a slick little bee :lol:

Go find a teacher, and if you can't, try not to drag people down with you.

:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.