Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If the body is an object then what feels good during nirvana?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
The self is not the body. Thus one might say that the body is an object, dependently originated. But then what body is it that feels nirvana? Nirvana probably feels good, thus there must be a body that feels the bliss.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nibbana surpasses all feeling.
    Nibbana is like being under heavy sedation but completely alert, aware and awake.
    Nibbana transcends all feeling.
    Nibbana just... is.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    That's an excellent question. I think Ananda in the Nikayas said that it was the lack of feeling that is itself bliss.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Nirvana must have a feeling, I think. Do you think bliss is no feeling? I wonder if the translation of 'feeling' is a buddhist specific definition such as: good, bad, neutral. How would non-feeling feel is my immediate assumption :)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    We don't feel with our body, we feel with our mind. Hit your thumb with a hammer, it'll feel like your thumb hurts, but you really feel it in your mind.

I think that's right!
  • Jeffrey
    Nirvana must have a feeling, I think. Do you think bliss is no feeling? I wonder if the translation of 'feeling' is a buddhist specific definition such as: good, bad, neutral. How would non-feeling feel is my immediate assumption
    That's why I think it's an excellent question.

Ok, we tend to think that bliss is a phenomenon, but what if bliss is the absence of phenomena? This doesn't mean nothingness.

When there's no sense of 'there', there's no 'here', and nothing that can be pointed to as feeling. Yet life goes on exquisitely.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Jeffrey, Think of the last time you felt extremely happy - or even decidedly glum, for that matter.... you didn;t feel that way with your body, your Mind was the seat of these emotions.
    But an enlightened Mind feels a unique, rarified and absolutely perfect, impenetrable and equillibrated bliss.
    It's indescribable - yet perfect in its balance.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think the mind and body are inseparable. In my experience it is completely obvious, no offense, that my body feels the happiness.

I think I am just labeling my experience differently from you @Federica. For example I just sighed and it felt good in my body. A lot of people feel emotions in the body and I am one of them. I think of the Meijer-Briggs system as I am a sensing rather than intuitive person.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited June 2012
    It is impossible to explain what nirvana is or "feels like" as it is beyond words. It would be easier to try and explain to a person born blind what colors are. Until one reaches such advanced practice, then I believe you would be wasting your time trying to postulate what it feels like or indeed what feels it.

I think it would be a lot easier to answer the question what nirvana is not, and not what nirvana is. For example we know that nirvana is not nothingness or annihilation of self, since Dharma teaches us that a self does not exist in the first place and hence cannot be annihilated.

The Buddha's words even talk of how hard it is to see, realize and understand nirvana.

“It occurred to me, monks, that this dhamma I have realized is deep, hard to see, hard to understand, peaceful and sublime, beyond mere reasoning, subtle and intelligible to the wise. . . Hard, too, is it to see this calming of all conditioned things, the giving up of all substance of becoming, the extinction of craving, dispassion, cessation, nibbana. And if I were to teach the dhamma and others were not to understand me that would be weariness, a vexation for me.”
    edited June 2012
    Jeffrey
    I think the mind and body are inseparable. In my experience it is completely obvious, no offense, that my body feels the happiness.
    In one sense yes, I mean, there's nothing incorrect about that, and in a conventional sense we can identify feelings of comfort, bliss, as physical. I think being aware of this helps us stay down to earth.

But just to look right now at what you're experiencing, your sensation, - can you call it a thing? If sensation is a thing, where is it?

In one sense, we sense, but in another sense, experience doesn't fit in the world of objects.

And it's understanding this on a deep level that is bliss, i.e. no clinging because nothing to cling to, hence no sensation.

But that doesn't mean no life; the previous sentence is for the logical mind, this sentence is for the heart.
  • There is no body. There is no feeling. In Nirvana everything is nothing and nothing is everything.
  • Well said.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The self is not the body. Thus one might say that the body is an object, dependently originated. But then what body is it that feels nirvana? Nirvana probably feels good, thus there must be a body that feels the bliss.
    I believe there is a joy that has no opposite born from seeing that opposites don't actually exist.

A part of me believes that nobody except one that has transcended time will see nirvana until we all see it. If there is no true seperation, how can nirvana be fully realised before all aspects realise nirvana?

This body you speak of in absolute terms could be all bodies. The water which is also the waves.

This may sound silly to some but when the conditions are just right and I'm in the mind of it, it seems like I can feel the wind flowing through the trees from a perspective of neither an observer or the observed.

I feel there must be such a thing as "all" because there is no such thing as "nothing", nor could there ever have been.
  • We don't feel with our body, we feel with our mind. Hit your thumb with a hammer, it'll feel like your thumb hurts, but you really feel it in your mind.

I think that's right!
    There is also phantom limb syndrome. You can lose your thumb entirely and still feel pain in your 'thumb'.
  • Nibbana surpasses all feeling.
    Nibbana is like being under heavy sedation but completely alert, aware and awake.
    Nibbana transcends all feeling.
    Nibbana just... is.
    You've been to Nirvana but still hang out here. This place must be pretty sweet.
  • It would be like finding the holy grail and drinking from it. What feels good is experiencing and knowing what it feels like to know and experience such things. It would be beyond all feelings.
  • ozen
    You've been to Nirvana but still hang out here. This place must be pretty sweet.
    That's quite beautiful.
    edited June 2012
    It seems like a big question as to how bliss is felt, but how is sight experienced? Look at something and try to find the essence of seeing - it's gone before you know it. There's no single and complete instant of seeing, and no continuous flow.

Is it that we only find how bliss is felt perplexing because we're thinking about it - if we were as interested in any other felt phenomena, might we find it equally difficult to define?
  • ... just to look right now at what you're experiencing, your sensation, - can you call it a thing?
    Yes, for instance looking at the computer screen in front of me is often referred to as "seeing." The question is a bit awkward however, because sensing or "seeing" is a process that involves many far reaching elements. Some of the light reflecting off the screen that I'm seeing right now comes from the sun, which is like a hundred million miles away from where I'm sitting.
    If sensation is a thing, where is it?
    As I've tried to indicate above, I could only begin to collect all the elements involved in the process of seeing. Some of the elements involved may be beyond our ability to sense, oddly enough.
    In one sense, we sense, but in another sense, experience doesn't fit in the world of objects.
    Trying to make some sense of this. You seem to be saying that 'sense' is independent of form or physicality. If that's what you believe, I'm curious about how there can be sensation or any kind of experience without a world in which to experience. To put it another way, if experience doesn't fit in the world of objects, where does it fit? Experience seems to fit perfectly in the world of objects.
    And it's understanding this on a deep level that is bliss, i.e. no clinging because nothing to cling to, hence no sensation.
    You have this understanding or no clinging/sensation?
    But that doesn't mean no life; the previous sentence is for the logical mind, this sentence is for the heart.
    I think they're both for some place between the head and heart.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    In Anguttara Nikaya, Nines, No. 34, the venerable Sariputta
    exclaims: "Nibbana is happiness, friend; Nibbana is happiness,
    indeed!" The monk Udayi then asked: "How can there be
    happiness when there is no feeling?" The venerable Sariputta
    replied: "Just this is happiness, friend, that therein there is
    no feeling."

P.s. Buddha describes nirvana (cessation) as the cessation of craving, aggresion, and delusion. Someone who achieves the nirvana with remainder has ceased the three poisons but as he is still alive, he is capable of perceiving pleasant, unpleasant or neutral sensations. Such a liberated being when going post-mortem enters into nirvana without remainder where even body and mind ceases. Also when a practitioner attains to sublime states like the cessation of perception and feeling (nirodha samapatti) which is also a kind of nirvana, there is no feelings, thoughts or sensations at all. Such a state however is temporary.

At no time however is nirvana (cessation) considered to be a feeling.
  • If the feeling comes and goes, it isn't nibbana.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    My understanding of Buddha's teachings says: Nirvana cannot be felt, because to feel it, there should be something who is feeling it - but no entity is there anywhere as it is nothingness everywhere.

Nirvana is the cessation of all conditions, so the definition of Nirvana is - 'Nirvana is.'.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Same reply as in the other thread:
    "There is that dimension where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor stasis; neither passing away nor arising: without stance, without foundation, without support [mental object]. This, just this, is the end of stress."
    Earth, water, fire and wind are the elements that make up the body. (at the time their science probably was pretty basic ;) )
    edited June 2012
    ozen
    Yes, for instance looking at the computer screen in front of me is often referred to as "seeing." The question is a bit awkward however, because sensing or "seeing" is a process that involves many far reaching elements. Some of the light reflecting off the screen that I'm seeing right now comes from the sun, which is like a hundred million miles away from where I'm sitting.
    Interesting story. It is a story though. I'm asking you to isolate and analyse anything about sight consciousness or any other consciousness. As the Buddha discovered, the only facts one can discern are negations of essence.
    Trying to make some sense of this. You seem to be saying that 'sense' is independent of form or physicality. If that's what you believe, I'm curious about how there can be sensation or any kind of experience without a world in which to experience. To put it another way, if experience doesn't fit in the world of objects, where does it fit? Experience seems to fit perfectly in the world of objects.
    Solipsist? Not me.

Why must it fit? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake

It is important to let go of the need to find philosophical truths about the world of objects.
    "How is it, Master Gotama, when Master Gotama is asked if he holds the view 'the cosmos is eternal...'... 'after death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless,' he says '...no...' in each case. Seeing what drawback, then, is Master Gotama thus entirely dissociated from each of these ten positions?"

"Vaccha, the position that 'the cosmos is eternal' is a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. It is accompanied by suffering, distress, despair, & fever, and it does not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation; to calm, direct knowledge, full Awakening, Unbinding.

"The position that 'the cosmos is not eternal'...

"...'the cosmos is finite'...

"...'the cosmos is infinite'...

"...'the soul & the body are the same'...

"...'the soul is one thing and the body another'...

"...'after death a Tathagata exists'...

"...'after death a Tathagata does not exist'...

"...'after death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'...

"...'after death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist'... does not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation; to calm, direct knowledge, full Awakening, Unbinding.""Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.072.than.html
    You have this understanding or no clinging/sensation?
    No one 'has' it. It's the way things are for all beings. Conventionally, I could say the thinking mind is aware of its nature and reacts accordingly. And that being so it's so beautiful you might weep for joy, or thank God, except there's no need, nor a need not to. Just breathing, seeing, walking, talking, even typing, are worship, communion, affirmation, life.

• It is important to let go of the need to find philosophical truths about the world of objects.
    I was simply asking for you to explain your "philosophical" truths, like why "experience doesn't fit in the world of objects," because I find them curious. If you're unable or unwilling to do that it's cool with me.
    edited June 2012
    It's a non-affirming negation, not a philosophical truth. You say experience is an object, I say no. You ask 'so what is it then?'. I say 'that question is a category error'.

Realising this is a shift in perception, not something which can be precisely explained, because the moment you use words, you are talking about objects which can be compared through analysis of qualities. There is no quality here, no object, because there is nothing to compare it with. Even the sense of 'it' is a mistake. No inside, no outside. No Thing.

The mistake is in using objective, physical conventions to describe experience, which is not physical, it is in another category, or rather it transcends notions of category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorless_green_ideas_sleep_furiously

Saying that an idea 'is green' is no more ridiculous than saying a perception of sound 'lasts a long time'. The latter is simply more useful in the conventional world, but it is still a fiction.
    In the seen, there is only the seen,
    in the heard, there is only the heard,
    in the sensed, there is only the sensed,
    in the cognized, there is only the cognized.
    Thus you should see that
    indeed there is no thing here;
    this, Bahiya, is how you should train yourself.
    Since, Bahiya, there is for you
    in the seen, only the seen,
    in the heard, only the heard,
    in the sensed, only the sensed,
    in the cognized, only the cognized,
    and you see that there is no thing here,
    you will therefore see that
    indeed there is no thing there.
    As you see that there is no thing there,
    you will see that
    you are therefore located neither in the world of this,
    nor in the world of that,
    nor in any place
    betwixt the two.
    This alone is the end of suffering.” (ud. 1.10)
    http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.it/2008/01/ajahn-amaro-on-non-duality-and.html
    edited June 2012
    Yes but such feelings - or sensations, begin and are processed by the mind. they begin in the mind, are enacted by it, and evaluated by it.
    It is all mind-wrought.
    I think I am just labeling my experience differently from you @Federica. For example I just sighed and it felt good in my body. A lot of people feel emotions in the body and I am one of them. I think of the Meijer-Briggs system as I am a sensing rather than intuitive person.
    Sighing is felt in the body, but sighing begins in the mind.
    The only reason your body feels good, is because your mind has decided that it feels good.
    that is where you appraise good or bad. In the mind.
    Your body has reacted n a specific way to an action generated by your mind.
    Felling in the body is as a result of a mind-sent reaction.

• It's a non-affirming negation, not a philosophical truth. You say experience is an object, I say no. You ask 'so what is it then?'. I say 'that question is a category error'.
    Not a category error. This is called attribute substitution. When someone is asked a question they find difficult to answer they sometimes unwittingly change the question, answering a different question. I never said that experience is an object, nor did I ask what experience is. I asked you, and am asking again, why experience doesn't fit in the world of objects? and, if it doesn't fit in the world of objects where does it fit? These questions make no assumption about what experience is. I've made no distinction between experience and objects, you have. You say that experience is not an object and that it doesn't fit in the world of objects.

Are you saying that you can't answer these questions? Again, that's cool if you can't or don't want to.
    The mistake is in using objective, physical conventions to describe experience, which is not physical, it is in another category, or rather it transcends notions of category.
    I don't see how this is relevant to the questions I'm asking. In any case, you're the one putting experience into one category, or rather no category, and objects in another.

I'll add a Buddhist clue for you though, which is that emptiness is form, and vice versa.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorless_green_ideas_sleep_furiously

Saying that an idea 'is green' is no more ridiculous than saying a perception of sound 'lasts a long time'. The latter is simply more useful in the conventional world, but it is still a fiction.
    This example shows the distinction between syntax and semantics, PrairieGhost. The latter can simply be more meaningful, just like calling it a fiction is meaningful to you.
    edited June 2012
    ozen
    why experience doesn't fit in the world of objects? and, if it doesn't fit in the world of objects where does it fit?
    Not a category error. This is called attribute substitution. When someone is asked a question they find difficult to answer they sometimes unwittingly change the question,
    No, the answer was just so implicit in what I said (experience is not an object) that I assumed you would make that leap. Admittedly you didn't assert that it was an object, you just asked why it didn't fit into the world of objects, so I overstepped there.

Experience is not an object, that is why it does not fit into the world of objects. There is no other world for it to fit into, thus it is meaningless to try to define it. The aim in attempts to talk about experience is soteriological, not ontological.
    meaningful
    I prefer 'useful', or 'skillful'.
    I don't see how this is relevant to the questions I'm asking. In any case, you're the one putting experience into one category, or rather no category, and objects in another.
    Yes. If this exchange is not useful to you, then it's quite possible for you to pick at my logic. But the idea was never to make perfectly airtight statements, it was to point to suchness. Proving myself correct to you/winning debates is not the reason I'm writing, so I answer your questions at the same time as including what I hope will be useful to readers. I was helped greatly in my practice by studying forums like this one.
  • I'll add a Buddhist clue for you though, which is that emptiness is form, and vice versa.
    Sure. I'm not reifying emptiness.
  • If a fish could talk, he might find it difficult to explain what the ocean was, but he would express the nature of the ocean by swimming.
  • Experience is not an object, that is why it does not fit into the world of objects. There is no other world for it to fit into, thus it is meaningless to try to define it.
    It is far from meaningless to try defining experience, or trying to express it. Is art meaningless to you?

Anyway, to me it's meaningless to say that experience doesn't fit in the world of objects or anywhere else. It seems to only reify it as a separate something or other.
    The aim in attempts to talk about experience is soteriological, not ontological.
    In truth you're offering an odd mixture of both. I suggest that you put some effort into studying the difference between meaning and logic, or just study both subjects further.
    ... the idea was never to make perfectly airtight statements, it was to point to suchness.
    And you point to suchness by offering claims like "experience is not an object" and it "doesn't fit in the world of objects," etc. Okay, good luck with that.
    edited June 2012
    ozen
    It is far from meaningless to try defining experience, or trying to express it. Is art meaningless to you?
    I call that expressing rather than defining. But we are splitting hairs.
    In truth you're offering an odd mixture of both. I suggest that you put some effort into studying the difference between meaning and logic, or just study both subjects further.
    Always an ongoing study, and I'm sure I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the advice.
  • ozen
    Rather, you are splitting hairs. Now tell us why. :)
    edited June 2012
    ozen
    I was referring to the thread in general, but yes, this time just me. Though your retort was itself splitting a hair.

• ozen
    I was referring to the thread in general, but yes, this time just me.

How were we to know that? the subject was specifically referring to art in that post.
  • ozen
    I was referring to the thread in general, but yes, this time just me. Though your retort was itself splitting a hair.

How so?
  • The self is not the body. Thus one might say that the body is an object, dependently originated. But then what body is it that feels nirvana? Nirvana probably feels good, thus there must be a body that feels the bliss.
    Dear @Jeffrey

Doesn't this presuppose that nirvana is a feeling of the body?

i.e. there are a lot of assumptions within this opening entry.

Is that not speculation, in Buddhist terms?

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2012

Yes. If this exchange is not useful to you, then it's quite possible for you to pick at my logic. But the idea was never to make perfectly airtight statements, it was to point to suchness. Proving myself correct to you/winning debates is not the reason I'm writing, so I answer your questions at the same time as including what I hope will be useful to readers. I was helped greatly in my practice by studying forums like this one.
    There is also the distinct possibility that you are completely out of your depth, spreading misrepresentations of Buddhism and practice - of course this would be a real pity if your real intention was to be of service as you claim.

Just pointing out the other option here.

Abu

• This may sound silly to some but when the conditions are just right and I'm in the mind of it, it seems like I can feel the wind flowing through the trees from a perspective of neither an observer or the observed.

I feel there must be such a thing as "all" because there is no such thing as "nothing", nor could there ever have been.
    Transcendence.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2012

Dear @Jeffrey

Doesn't this presuppose that nirvana is a feeling of the body?

i.e. there are a lot of assumptions within this opening entry.

Is that not speculation, in Buddhist terms?

Best wishes,
    Abu
    Abu, it is hard to make a statement concisely with no assumptions. We do know that Shakyamuni Buddha did have a body during his ministry.

• xabirxabir Veteran
    Nirvana is not a feeling, bliss of nirvana is not a feeling but simply the absence of suffering, according to the scriptures.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I have a mental illness where I hear critical voices from morning to night and in my dreams. I have found that even the worst feelings If I look at my body they are just feelings.

If the voices are right I am the worst emotional vampire, er something like that? Yet even so this turmoil is just a feeling in my body which if I touch into feels quite good because the energy of being diablo energizes one.

(the voices are a different discussion but my point is in the next paragraph)

My point is that feeling the body can help us feel better. It's the mind that says the body is the self. The body doesn't say anything. It is just the good earth.
    edited June 2012
    @PrairieGhost, @ozen,
    ozen

I strongly suggest you both quit splitting hairs and address the OP's question directly.
    edited June 2012
    federica
    I strongly suggest you both quit splitting hairs and address the OP's question directly.
    As I have explained, my view is that bliss is the ongoing realisation of the unfindable, unestablished nature of phenomena - not the removal of what we take to be phenomena.

But this isn't really a view and it isn't really explainable in words. It causes these words, they express but do not define.
    edited June 2012
    If I was talking to non-buddhists who have some understanding of this, and expressing myself outside the buddhist framework, I'd say 'everything is made of love'. And if understanding were deeper, we might not have to say anything at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Sermon
  • @PrairieGhost, @ozen,
    ozen

I can't because unfortunately I haven't been to Nirvana like you guys.
    I further advise abstention from smart-ass comments.
  • Well, feelings (vedana) are one of the five aggregates and so is subject to the three characteristics. So technically, it is correct to say that nirvana surpasses feelings. Right?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @driedleaf, what do you mean by surpass? For example say I have a morning and then get on with my day in the afternoon and evening. Could I draw a hierarchy between what time of day or feelings surpassed the other?

I definitely feel the bliss of nirvana is unsurpassable. I just wondered how there could be a hierarchy of feelings. I think in nirvana there is no comparison of one state to another?
  • @Jeffrey

I guess it would have to be when we are with feelings in and of themselves. So what you feel are just "feelings" in a sense, and you are not attached to those feelings. There would only be a hierarchy if you latch on. I'm not sure what nirvana is, I just know I'd like to get there one of these days. :)