Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seeing the world as a dream

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited June 2012 in Meditation
During the waking state, is it better to constantly remind oneself that the world is a dream - if only to drop attachments? Meditation is something we can do, but we cannot be meditative at all times, so will this attitude during non-meditative, waking hours be useful?

Comments

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I think it can be useful as a tool to remind yourself about emptiness. But I'd add it's more like "life is like a dream" rather than "life is a dream" - the latter one can get you into trouble!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Meditation teaches us to be in the moment.
    In the Moment, we are mindful.
    We need to practice mindfulness all the time, therefore Meditation is achievable at all times.
    I am reminded of a conversation between two monks. The junior one asks the
    senior, "I don't see you following any strict regimen at all. When do you
    meditate?" The other replied, "When am I not meditating?"
    Or as the monk related,
    "I fell asleep, and dreamt I was a butterfly, and then I awoke and found I was a man. Or am I just a butterfly dreaming it's a man?"
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    During the waking state, is it better to constantly remind oneself that the world is a dream - if only to drop attachments? Meditation is something we can do, but we cannot be meditative at all times, so will this attitude during non-meditative, waking hours be useful?
    I don't think so, not all the time. Wisdom (emptiness of self, objects, and phenomena) should be developed with compassion.

If you get too detached, how can you develop compassion?

I try to use emptiness to overcome the things I'm frightened of, but then again I also use compassion to motivate me into doing things I don't want to do too; like go to the doctors now! (nowt serious, but I've got the brakes on).

:D
  • betaboy
    I like that in dreams, we don't cling nearly so much. Except once when I forgot how to fly.
  • During the waking state, is it better to constantly remind oneself that the world is a dream - if only to drop attachments? Meditation is something we can do, but we cannot be meditative at all times, so will this attitude during non-meditative, waking hours be useful?
    I believe it is better to just be. The whole point of meditation is to let go. If you remind yourself that the world is a dream, you might be clinging to the notion that world around you is not real. When you are awake, just accept the world as it is. When you are meditating, let go of the world.

But, of course, do what makes you happy. :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

As ittybittybat suggests
    ''Just being can be more reflective of meditation.
    If you try that mantra in some zen schools, a slap up the side of the head will quickly illustrate it's limitations. What you are suggesting is a mental counter to our inherent tendency towards attachment. It's not wrong, just pertains to only one form of attachment.
    If you have the focus and concentration to be able to remind yourself of anything constantly, then you should be able to be just as consistently meditative.
  • During the waking state, is it better to constantly remind oneself that the world is a dream - if only to drop attachments?
    I don't believe that constantly reminding oneself that life is but a dream would help in dropping attachments. Assuming that abandoning attachments is a good thing in the first place.
    Meditation is something we can do, but we cannot be meditative at all times, so will this attitude during non-meditative, waking hours be useful?
    As others have said we can practice paying attention as much as we can, and meditation practice helps in that I believe.
  • tikaL2o6tikaL2o6 Explorer
    edited June 2012
    Mindfulness is but one of the eight factors of the eightfold path. ;)
  • During the waking state, is it better to constantly remind oneself that the world is a dream - if only to drop attachments? Meditation is something we can do, but we cannot be meditative at all times, so will this attitude during non-meditative, waking hours be useful?
    It would be better for us perhaps to note that there are different levels of reality. Our current reality is much more complex than dreams. We still need to explore it before we can decide what to make of it.
    The "world" can sometimes be like a dream, not always. Some people live in a dream state - always reliving the past or planning for the future and never see what is in front of them.

A car coming towards you on the road is not a dream!

Keeping the mind tethered the present moment can be done by noting the breath or one's posture/activity from time to time.
  • it isnt a dream son.
    and yes it's a dream son.
    u should let go,
    and walk on, but keep holding it lightly..
    hold it lightly but tightly and when it gets heavy let it go..
    in this state, you can eat the pyramids of Egypt and molest darth vader sexually.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2012
    The world isn't a dream.
    You are the dream.

So do not look for the dream outside, look for it within.

Metta!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @ Sabre
    The world isn't a dream.
    You are the dream.
    So do not look for the dream outside, look for it within.
    Nice!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    During the waking state, is it better to constantly remind oneself that the world is a dream - if only to drop attachments?
    I think it's better to try and see things clearly, which means being more mindful and aware - which is really the opposite of being in a dream.
  • @betaboy

What @porpoise says

And so, no, it is not recommended

Buddhism is not designed to numb us, it is to help us live better, clearer lives in a very real spiritual sense.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Buddhism is not designed to numb us....

;)