Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My problem with tolerance

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited May 2006 in General Banter
There's been a lot of talk about racism lately on this forum. This is welcome, since this is a disease that needs to be recognized and cured. But there's a word that keeps popping up that I have a problem with:

Tolerance.

Tolerance is a social, cultural and religious term applied to the collective and individual practice of not persecuting those who may believe, behave or act in ways of which one may not approve.

I have always felt uneasy when I hear someone use the term tolerance. I know it is just a word, but words are loaded with meaning and can reveal a person's mindset.

When someone uses the word tolerance in reference to another group, it implies that there is something that must be tolerated.

To see what I mean, use the verb form (tolerate) instead of the noun (tolerance):

"We must tolerate jews/muslims/non-christians/gays/etc."

See what I mean?

Whenever I hear a talking head on TV say "we must be tolerant of X", I credit them for trying to be accepting, but fault them for keeping a prejudical mind-set.

As long as you see the world as "us versus them", you are only an inch away from the line between tolerance and intolerance.

::

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Magwang wrote:
    There's been a lot of talk about racism lately on this forum. This is welcome, since this is a disease that needs to be recognized and cured. But there's a word that keeps popping up that I have a problem with:

Tolerance.

Tolerance is a social, cultural and religious term applied to the collective and individual practice of not persecuting those who may believe, behave or act in ways of which one may not approve.

I have always felt uneasy when I hear someone use the term tolerance. I know it is just a word, but words are loaded with meaning and can reveal a person's mindset.

When someone uses the word tolerance in reference to another group, it implies that there is something that must be tolerated.

To see what I mean, use the verb form (tolerate) instead of the noun (tolerance):

"We must tolerate jews/muslims/non-christians/gays/etc."

See what I mean?

Whenever I hear a talking head on TV say "we must be tolerant of X", I credit them for trying to be accepting, but fault them for keeping a prejudical mind-set.

As long as you see the world as "us versus them", you are only an inch away from the line between tolerance and intolerance.

::

:thumbsup:

_/\_
  • edited May 2006
    I agree, Magwang.

I teach in a school that embraces all cultures, traditions, and races. However, my concern is this: those places that are NOT allowing religious paraphenalia.

For example, our city used to have the "Festival of Lights" every Christmas season. It was predominately Christian. It then came to include Hanukkah decor as well. It seemed that this did not settle well with the less than 1% Islam population in the city.
    Then it became non religious and instead there were dinosaur, Lego, and any other display OTHER than religious. The next year, the festival was cancelled for good.

I would think that all holi-days of the season ought to be included...Dawali, Hanukkah, Christmas (I apologize if I miss any). How else can we as a society appreciate all our differences and learn?
    Most religions can display anything. But if a Christian puts up a cross at Easter (the most important time in the faith), they are almost forced to take it down...
  • edited May 2006
    Quote fom Ancient Wisdom Modern World. pg 23 in my copy

"Spirituality I take to be concerned with those qualities of the human spirit- such as love and compassion,patience, tolerance, forgiveness, contentment, a sense of responsibilty, a sense of harmony- which brings happiness to both self and others......
    This is why I sometimes say that religion is something we can do without. What we cannot do without are these basic spiritual qualities"

Again words are such an awkward way to communicate. They mean different things to different people. Perhaps I missed your point but I believe I can practice tolerance with individuals as well as groups. To me it is just another flavor of compassion.

Edit .. my computer doesn't spell well :)
  • edited May 2006
    I am not sure where I may have miscommunicated. My point was not so much to tolerate other religions during the holidays, but why must they all be excluded? Blending them into a festivl of lights is perfect to educate and experience.

the example I gave regarding the cross on display...
    it seems to me that anyother religion can display, but when it's the cross, there is less 'tolerance'.

I agree with your point on 'tolernce' having a negative conotation.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Sometimes, all we have are words to describe things. And sometimes, words have more meanings than what we originally think. I know I just went through this when someone I know said someone else I know was a "narcissist". Immediately, I thought, "No... they're not a narcissist." But upon further investigation - they had a point.

tolerance

n 1: the power or capacity of an organism to tolerate unfavorable environmental conditions 2: a disposition to allow freedom of choice and behavior [syn: permissiveness] [ant: unpermissiveness] 3: the act of tolerating something 4: willingness to recognize and respect the beliefs or practices of others [ant: intolerance] 5: a permissible difference; allowing some freedom to move within limits [syn: allowance, leeway, margin]

This is just one definition of "tolerance".

-bf
  • edited May 2006
    Sharpiegirl

I should have made an effort to point out I was referring to Magwang's post.

My referance was to the Dalai Lama's use of tolerance being an important part of spirituality.

The word compassion may imply "to pity" which is condescending. The negative connotation is in the mind of the speaker and the listener, which may disagree.

I acknowledge I am nit picking. I also acknowledge I am also not a mind reader that presumes to understand another's definition of a word they use. I try to see how it fits in context.

Russell
  • edited May 2006
    aing wrote:
    Sharpiegirl

I should have made an effort to point out I was referring to Magwang's post.

My referance was to the Dalis Lama's use of tolerance being an important part of spirituality.

The word compassion may imply "to pity" which is condescending. The negative connotation is in the mind of the speaker and the listener, which may disagree.

I acknowledge I am nit picking. I also acknowledge I am also not a mind reader that presumes to understand another's definition of a word they use. I try to see how it fits in context.

Russell

ops. sorry, Russell.
    I agree. People have, as BF pointed out so well, different definitions.
    To many, compassion does have the 'pity' connotation.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I agree with you, Magwang. I have heard many people in persecuted minorities say that they don't want to be tolerated. They want to be accepted as they are and embraced. Tolerance is only the first tiny step for those who are just beginning to learn.
    edited May 2006
    This is really getting down to semantics in a way.

Sometimes, all you can do is tolerate someone.

You can tolerate someone doing something that you don't agree with - because .... they're actions make it impossible (or very difficult) to love and embrace them.

We shouldn't kid ourselves that we're way past being ignorant sentient beings that sometimes stray from the Middle Path.

Sometimes tolerating something (and being tolerated) is our only course of action.

And when I'm using "tolerate" is seems to me that it's directed more towards the person having the issue than someone else being themselves. If I have to "tolerate" you - it seems that it's a shortcoming in myself.

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2006

"Whenever I hear a talking head on TV say "we must be tolerant of X", I credit them for trying to be accepting, but fault them for keeping a prejudical mind-set. "

I'm glad you are tolerant of me.

regards,
    X
    edited May 2006
    Xrayman wrote:

I'm glad you are tolerant of me.

regards,
    X

But just barely, suckah...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    This is really getting down to semantics in a way.

Sometimes, all you can do is tolerate someone.

You can tolerate someone doing something that you don't agree with - because .... they're actions make it impossible (or very difficult) to love and embrace them.

We shouldn't kid ourselves that we're way past being ignorant sentient beings that sometimes stray from the Middle Path.

Sometimes tolerating something (and being tolerated) is our only course of action.

And when I'm using "tolerate" is seems to me that it's directed more towards the person having the issue than someone else being themselves. If I have to "tolerate" you - it seems that it's a shortcoming in myself.

-bf

Yes, this is true in the sense in which you're using it, but we're talking about racism and other forms of persecution based on what a person is by birth, not disagreement with their actions or choices.

To "tolerate" someone because their skin is a different colour than yours is the tiniest first step for a racist. For others who have learned what racism actually is, understanding, acceptance and the embracing of diversity is where they're at. It's a path to reality and we are all at different stages of the path. But one would hope that as a society in the 21st century most can agree that the different colours of people's skin is not something to be tolerated but celebrated.
    edited May 2006
    Well, my post initially was regarding the term "tolerate".

Ultimately, it is just a word. A label. I didn't want people to get hung up on using the word tolerate and feel bad about it. That's why I posted a couple different definitions of the word. I would hate for someone to slowly be gaining in respecting and accepting other people because of one definition of a word.

That was all, punkin.

-bf
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Gah, I'm late again! You'll have to excuse me, I have all types of vicious finals this week :eek2:

Yeah. Er...well said, everyone!

:cheer:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    That was all, punkin.

Awwww! I love being called that! You're such a sweet talker, ain't ya?
    edited May 2006
    I don't know...

I call my g/f "punkinbutt".

She seems to dig it :)

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I like punkin. Punkinbutt...not so much.
    edited May 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    I like punkin. Punkinbutt...not so much.

Well, that's because punkinbutt is a term of endearment for her and re-affirms to her how much I like her butt.

No one else can be punkinbutt to me - but you can certainly be "punkin'.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    O.K. That's good. Your girlfriend sounds very tolerant.

When are we getting a new quiz?
    edited May 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    O.K. That's good. Your girlfriend sounds very tolerant.

When are we getting a new quiz?

I will work on it right now.

-bf
    edited May 2006
    Done!

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Thanks!