Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Success

tikaL2o6tikaL2o6 Explorer
edited June 2012 in Philosophy
Those who are successful in this world do not enjoy themselves because they are successful, they are successful because they enjoy themselves.
What do you guys think???
And by success I mean in all aspects of the word - spiritual, financial, romantic, etc...
:)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2012
    could you give us an example of a particular person who has all the spiritual, financial, romantic trappings that enable them to be successful and enjoy themselves?

Who do you have in mind? :)
  • tikaL2o6tikaL2o6 Explorer
    In my opinion, a person who was successful spiritually was the Buddha.
    Some one who is successful financially is Bill Gates.
    Some one who is successful romantically would be Hugh Hefner.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ah.
    I see. enjoying themselves and successful, but not in all three spheres....

Hugh Hefner I would personalise as a hungry ghost.
    Bill Gates as a God.
    Of the three, I would say the Buddha hit the nail on the head.

The less you have, the more manageable it is, and the easier detachment becomes.
    detachment is the key.
    What were the Buddha's possessions when he passed into parinibbana?

Bill Gates is doing an awful lot of altruistic work with his accumulate wealth, but i would be willing to bet he's still kept a sizeable amount back for his own comfort.
    Hugh Hefner? He may well be successful, but I'm actually not certain he's enjoying himself.

Do you equate happiness with success and enjoyment, then?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Success is one of the eight worldly winds; which cannot make us ultimately happy.

So the success of a Buddha is ambiguous. Part of his “success” is that he doesn’t crave for, or cling to success.

I believe psychologists made the general observation that financial wealth is something we very easily take for granted. Three months after winning a lottery people have the same level of happiness they had before the draw.

I don’t know who Hugh Hefner is. So I don’t get the point. But maybe in friendship and love there’s something to your statement. The key to happiness in friendship is being a good friend; not even thinking about “having” a friend.

He is the founder and CEO of Playboy magazine and all associated ventures.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I see, and he has many meaningful relationships with women with interesting personalities. ;)
    What a mindful way of putting it....! :D
  • tikaL2o6
    Some one who is successful romantically would be Hugh Hefner.
    Sexually, maybe, if it's a numbers game, but romantically?