Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A special transmission outside the scriptures.

2»

Comments

• Patr:
    How does one transmit the Buddha mind??
    Do you pass it on wholesale, so instant awakening for the student. Well queue up then, cause everyone will want a piece of that.
    Only a real Buddha can transmit Buddha Mind. It is quite extraordinary. It surpasses anything the Christian Paul experienced on the road to Damascus.

Suffice it to say that the adept has to be prepared for one awesome event. And before this event takes place the adept has to have mastered 'one-pointedness of mind' (it is the key).

• SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Songhill said:

Suffice it to say that the adept has to be prepared for one awesome event. And before this event takes place the adept has to have mastered 'one-pointedness of mind' (it is the key).

Agree - it seems to me to definitely be described as a mutual effort. That's why having a master (of any skill) can be so precious - someone who knows you intimately, and can see exactly when a moment is ripe for a particular teaching. Those moments can be extremely fleeting; a master/student relationship which is not very deep may not be able to take advantage of it.

Again and again, the music analogy strikes me as similar. A music student mentoring from a great master can benefit immensely from that teacher's deep knowledge of the student, and that student's equal willingness to trust the master teacher's instruction. After struggling with a particular problem for years, for example, one day, in one moment, that teacher will realize exactly how to help the student overcome the problem; and if the student is ready, then and only then might that technique be mastered.

The power of that combined energy, focus, and mutual understanding are very, very specific to a close master-student relationship. It doesn't mean everyone has to have such a relationship, it simply means that very serious, committed and deep learning can happen in that environment.

It's becoming increasingly rare, though, for any discipline. People are so much more mobile, and have so many activities, that the chances of such a teaching-learning environment are dwindling, in my opinion. Ego also plays a part, I suppose - people don't like to give themselves wholly to any one pursuit, or any one teacher. It seems easier and more fun to try all kinds of things (I say from experience!) Less effort, less frustration. In a busy modern world, the last thing we feel like doing is adding more effort. So some of the deep insight, skill and mastery will undoubtedly be lost. That's why when people say things like, "There should be fewer monks and nuns" I wholeheartedly disagree - I count on these precious friends to share the insight they've developed through focused study, just as I count on professional musicians to share theirs.

I may not become a monastic or professional violinist, but I can gain satisfying teaching and knowledge from those who have become--and the bar, for humanity, is raised (or not dropping as fast) overall.